Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 13th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 1,075Posts
    • 674Thanks
    Laundry - how many different loads do you sort it all into?
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    Laundry - how many different loads do you sort it all into? 13th Oct 16 at 7:51 PM
    Does everyone do lots of different washes for everything? I do separate washes for:

Bedsheets 60 C
    White clothes (hardly any) 40 C
    Darks (Jeans/clothes) 40 C
    Colours 40 C
    Delicates (wool stuff) 30 C
    Bath towels/Tea towels/cleaning cloths 60 C

It's six different washes, with different laundry baskets all over the house to sort/store the stuff.

Usually, each wash is less than half full which seems very wasteful, and it's time consuming. It would be different if I was doing laundry for a whole family but it's just me, so there's never that much stuff. I can't save up enough for a full load as it would take ages and there's always things I need regularly.

Is there any way to reduce this? I was thinking of adding the white clothes into the 60 C wash with the bedsheets, but would this shrink them? Is it unhygienic to add the towels in to the 40 C clothes wash?
Page 2
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 14th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Whites @60 includes all towels/bed linen
    Mediums @40
    Darks @40
    Anything that should be hand washed gets put into the machine with some fabric softener and put on a last rinse and spin cycle only.
    Both of us are retired so nothing is dirty.

Because all towels and most bed linen is white as are most of the clothes I wear in summer and oh tees I do at least 2 loads of whites a week but normally only 1 each of mediums and darks. The stuff I should hand wash I do as and when. I iron everything and always have even when the family were little.
    Last edited by Sayschezza; 14-10-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    GC Aug £187.35/£250. Sept £214.44/£250 Oct /£225
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 14th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 4,991 Thanks
    I just wrote something about this on another thread!
    I divide very similarly to OP. I have a divided laundry basket, a bucket for kitchen washing, and I mostly do towels & sheets as they are needed, so they don't hang about for long.
    What I do is see if anything can go through together - I normally do my nice Tshirts on delicate to preserve them, but will occasionally stick them through on a standard wash.
    If some of OH's shirts are not especially mucky, I might put them through with delicates, so they have a wash; take out the delicates and then spin the shirts.
    But I would also say that what may seem wasteful isn't necessarily - if your clothes last longer because you have washed them properly for instance.
    And I do the odd handwash in the shower, if there's a bit of underwear I need.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 14th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 6,512 Posts
    • 38,697 Thanks
    Just one basket for 3 adults and a small plastic box at the side of the machine for tea towels dishcloths to go in until they're washed.

I don't buy white clothes so no white washes. Lights get separated out and washed at 40 on a quick wash. Darks get the same 40 quick wash. Towels and tea towels/dish clothes go in each week on a 60 wash and bedding is a 60 wash too.

I do a load a day, 2 bedding, 1 towels, 2 darks and 1 light and then one of either pet blankets or rugs. Keeps it all ticking over.

I only iron DHs shirts and a couple of my tops so every other week.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 14th Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    Bedsheets 90 C
    White clothes 40 C
    Darks & Colours 60 C
    Delicates (wool stuff) Hand wash
    Bath towels/Tea towels 90 C
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 14th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    But I would also say that what may seem wasteful isn't necessarily - if your clothes last longer because you have washed them properly for instance.
    Originally posted by jackyann
    I never thought of it that way but you're right. All these separate washes do save me having to replace clothes very often. Things keep their colours better, don't get damaged/shrunk and whites don't end up grey.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 13,546 Posts
    • 53,037 Thanks
    whites don't end up grey.
    Cant stand to see grey whites
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • fab n funky mum
    • By fab n funky mum 14th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    fab n funky mum
    I have loads of washing to do, so only break them down into 3 different loads
    Whites and lights - 40 ( mostly school shirts and blouses)
    Darks and reds - 40
    Towels, dishcloths, teatowels and bedding - 60
    I have tried the daily washload to keep it under control, but I don't like having washing drying everywhere ( I have a compact tumbly in the garage for emergencies :-) ) so I now just do a wild blitz starting on Friday.
    One of my house rules is, if you want it washed, it needs to be down and in the big basket by Friday evening .
    Linda x
    I love to paint faces ... and canvases and bags and shoes...
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 14th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    There are two of us - I do two loads on a Monday (dark colours, light colours), and two loads on a Tuesday (towels, bedding). I dry these outside or round the radiators depending on the weather and finish off in the tumble dryer if still needed after 24 hours. I then iron on a Wednesday (really just shirts for OH 3 days a week). On top of that I'll do 'extra' washes for woollens, cleaning cloths, etc as necessary.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 14th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 4,991 Thanks
    I'd add that I am known among my friends for keeping clothes for ages, although by family standards, I am profligate!

A fairly recent example is 3 Lands' End Tshirts that I bought 8 years ago, and have just gone into the ragbag. They were 'good' for 3-4 years (delicate wash) 'good enough' for wearing around the house (delicate usually, but standard sometimes) for another 3 or so, and in the last year or so have been relegated to 'mucky jobs' and gone through any wash!

Edited to add that they probably had about 30-40 washes a year at first, then rather more. So I got 100-120 wears/washes out of them whist still good enough to wear out, looking nice. Do others think that is quite good or not?

I do have a lot of much older clothes, but they don't get the same wear, except for 1 Etam top, 20 years old - last 5 or so only 'round the house' wear, at least once a week, but still won't bite the dust!
    Last edited by jackyann; 14-10-2016 at 3:06 PM.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 95,309 Thanks
    Bedinen - 1 x double duvet cover, 1 x sheet, 4 x pillowcases is a load on it's own, so that gets done as such.

If I'm changing the bath towels, which I wash at 60, I throw in the flannels for freshening up, hand towels, and any hankies that need washing.

Mr LW's clothes get done when there's enough of them to fill the machine.

My clothes get done when I'm down to my last bra (!) - bearing in mind quite a lot of my stuff has to be washed by hand in cold water as it runs better than Usain Bolt!
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • PenguinOfDeath
    • By PenguinOfDeath 14th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 7,536 Thanks
    Normal wash 29 mins split into light ish with darks that wont run and darker clothes inc jeans

Hotter 59 min wash for underwear, sports clothes etc

Towels bedding etc done on a 90 wash ...only the former done every single week others done as and when needed
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 14th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    One basket for everything
    One bag on kitchen door handle for tea towels/dusters etc

Bathroom towels, aired daily and washed/rotated once a week on 40C
    Bed linen, duvet cover as 1 load, pillowcases and bottom sheet as 1 load on 40C

Underthings and socks, bras in mesh bag - usually 2 loads a week on 40C
    Undershirts and t shirts white - usually 1 load a week on 30C
    White shirts 1 load, coloured shirts 1 load, twill shirts 1 load all at 30C on demand!

My clothes separated into colour families (ie all blues together), turned inside out on 30C
    My vintage/delicates, in mesh bags, cold water wash (or as researched)
    Woollens on low agitation cool/cold wash (with baby shampoo/hair conditioner!)

Kitchen towels/dusters/cloths one load on highest setting to clean machine through

I use a gentle eco stain treatment on collars/cuffs or as needed
    i use a much smaller amount of detergent/conditioner than recommended - always non bio
    Extra rinse on bathroom towels and no fab conditioner

I have a modern washing machine that uses less water and has a million options on rinsing/temps etc
    I’m fussy about caring for my clothes as I want them to last, look smart and many of them are older than me and need love to keep them going.

Everything is hung out and aired after one wear - if it needs a wash it gets one
    Coats get hung lining side out to freshen
    Shoes go outside too when needed!
    Scarves and gloves laundered to suit in mesh bags

Clothes given a quick once over to see if buttons/repairs are required

Think that's it - sounds involved but it really isn't. If the weather is poo - then I sort into pillowcases and launder a bit at a time and hang overnight in the airing cupboard.
    Nov GC £000 / £200 28/10/16 - 23/11/16
    Oct GC £243.82 / £200 28/9/16 - 26/10/16
    • june89
    • By june89 14th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 4,990 Thanks
    I have a divided clothes basket for lights and darks. Typically one load of each per week in the summer, often two loads of darks in winter due to more/bulkier layers.

One load of towels (bathroom and kitchen) and one load of bedding. Only two of us in the house, but the machine isn't very big so they are full loads on their own.
    • CathA
    • By CathA 14th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    I have 3 different coloured bags in my wash basket, so I sort washing as it turns up and put it in each designated bag.
    Dark bag-for dark stuff. (40 degrees)
    Mid coloured bag- towels, sheets and pants. (This is divided up into dark towels and pants, and light towels, sheets and pants). (60 degrees)
    Light bag- white and light coloured stuff. (40 degrees)

Whenever a bag is full, that's the next load due to be washed. I find having different coloured bags very handy, so I don't have to keep re-sorting it every time.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 14,765 Posts
    • 87,185 Thanks
    One washing basket for 2 people. I check it whenever the weather's good enough for drying assuming I have the time. When weather's poor I check it and if there's enough for a load I do it and dry on clothes horse and possibly finish off in dryer for thick stuff. So only wash if I have a load unless really urgent like going away.

Mainly 3 loads: whites @60 that's bedding, towels, tea towels and some white clothes and underwear
    Light colours like shirts and some tops @ 40
    Darks like jeans, socks @ 40
    Synthetic jumpers go in with whichever colour but I'll do an occasional wash as per instructions for wool and sometimes throw in odd bits like socks with them.

What about a what do you iron thread?
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 5,987 Thanks
    Lights, darks and reds - all at 60 as we have towels in all colours and get through a lot between showering at home, at work and the gym.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 3,813 Posts
    • 22,600 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth

Her stockings sometimes!
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 15th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 8,294 Posts
    • 48,924 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    I sort it like the OP to wash it but everything goes in one laundry basket (not sheets/towels though, I wash them as soon as I strip the bed/replace towels). When I want to wash a load, I sort it into those pesky (but useful) charity bags that come through the door to carry downstairs and load into the machine.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 11,351 Posts
    • 205,924 Thanks
    I tip the laundry out of the basket when it's overflowing/I feel like doing washing and sort it into whatever the logical loads are at the time. I don't use fabric conditioner, so that means towels are mixed in with other cottons of similar colours/temperature. Low temperature washes use soap nuts, higher temps eco liquid and vinegar.

Handwashing is done when I can't ignore it any longer, and involves cleaning the utility room sink area thoroughly first.

If I'm running, gym & swimming kit of all kinds goes in with that, and I try not to leave it lying around for too long.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 34,595 Thanks
    Anything that touches either end of the digestive tract (directly or indirectly eg tea towels) gets washed at 60.

Apart from woolens which I hoard until I have enough to make it worth putting on a delicate 30 degree wash, the rest gets washed at 40 and sorted into light/dark

So bras and socks don't go in the 60 wash so they don't get ruined
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin