Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rufford155
    • By rufford155 13th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rufford155
    Caution : HMRC (Inland Revenue) terribly slow
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    Caution : HMRC (Inland Revenue) terribly slow 13th Oct 16 at 7:46 PM
    I was exector this year for my widowed mother-in-law's will.
    Firstly, the "Tell us Once" service didn't work for HMRC when we expected it to as it is a Government agency. They had to be prodded with a letter.
    Then they got their calculation wrong and issued an incorrect cheque which I sent back.
    It should have been simple as her only income was state pension and one other company pension.
    They used a full year's state pension although she died in February so I sent my own calculation to show them how to do it!
    When they got it right they sent a new cheque but less the first one I'd sent back which they said they had cancelled. Yet another letter was required.
    It was October before yet another cheque was sent so over six months altogether.
    Every other matter was dealt with months before this.
    They don't seem to have a separate bereavement/probate department which virtually every other organisation I dealt with did have.
    So with HMRC your rebate claim probably gets lost in all their other work and takes a ridiculously long time just when probate needs to be sorted as efficiently as possible.
    Something needs to be done but I'm not sure by whom. I may write to my MP.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,920 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    They don't seem to have a separate bereavement/probate department which virtually every other organisation I dealt with did have.
    Yes they do - it's called 'Trusts Estates Inheritance Tax'

You're right they are slow. That's because like all gov depts since the crash and the Tory/Lib cuts, they have severe budgets cuts and manpower shortages.

Something needs to be done but I'm not sure by whom. I may write to my MP.
    It's very simple. More resources. Your MP I'm sure will be able to pursuade the new Chancellor to allocate increased funding to HMRC.........
    • Anthear
    • By Anthear 16th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Anthear
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    That's interesting - my mother's estate is waiting for a refund of IHT - it's not a huge amount, but it's stopping the estate being finalised. Just out of interest, what sort of timescale are we talking about? The forms for the refund were sent to HMRC in July this year - how long do you reckon I'll be waiting.....?
    • rufford155
    • By rufford155 17th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rufford155
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    My timescale, as detailed in my post, was February to October but this included !!!!-ups by HMRC.
    As your case is different, it's hard to say.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 17th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    Took me over 6 months to get a small rebate of income tax (<£200) after my mother's death last year. They were sending letters apparently - just that nobody seems to know where they went!!!
    Even now I still haven't had anything final from them in writing -they just paid an amount into the executor's account direct. Seems to be about right altho' who knows!!
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 17th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,345 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    I have successfully sued them three times using the Small claims Track for amounts less than £1,000. On each occasion is was sheer joy to hear the judge roast their solicitor for their incompetence. In each case I had been waiting more than six months for payment. The official apology letters I have had framed. Magic!
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 17-10-2016 at 9:03 AM.
    • rufford155
    • By rufford155 17th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rufford155
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    Well at least you got an apology.
    I didn't !
    • Anthear
    • By Anthear 17th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Anthear
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    Just out of interest, what did you claim for in the Small Claims Court? Loss of interest on the money they owed? I think the amount owed is fairly small, so not a lot to be gained by sueing for that, it's the knock-on effect that is the issue......
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 17th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    TheBanker
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    When my dad died last year, within a couple of weeks my mum had received a letter asking who was dealing with his affairs. She gave my details as I was his Personal Representative.

Within a couple of weeks they had correctly calculated and refunded dad's overpaid income tax with no real intervention from me.

I remember commenting at the time that out of all the banks, pension companies, insurers and other organisations I had to deal with, I found HMRC to be by far the most efficient, which was a surprise based on my experiences of dealing with them over my own tax affairs!
    Make £10 a day challenge: Oct-16: £88.79 / £310
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 17th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,345 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Just out of interest, what did you claim for in the Small Claims Court? Loss of interest on the money they owed? I think the amount owed is fairly small, so not a lot to be gained by sueing for that, it's the knock-on effect that is the issue......
    Originally posted by Anthear
    I sued for the money owing to me plus interest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

932Posts Today

5,823Users online

Martin's Twitter