Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 13th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 2Thanks
    anirah2
    Microwave refunded but NOT collected - Can I keep it?
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    Microwave refunded but NOT collected - Can I keep it? 13th Oct 16 at 6:20 PM
    Hi

I bought a microwave from George.com at Asda. However, I decided to return it as it was unsuitable.

On 12/09/16 no one showed up and my sister was at home all day.

On 13/09/16 Yodel attempted collection at 5.14, even though I had already explained to George customer services that no one would be home until after 7pm.

The third collection was arranged for 16/09/16 after 7pm but Yodel didn't show up again.

I've made numerous attempts to get the microwave collected, even though we've already received a refund. I've phonedGeorge.com ten times, I've emailedGeorge.com twice and I've emailed Yodel twice. In addition, to this I've emailedGeorge.com and Yodel together an additional five times.

What else can I do?!Does the item become mine after a period of time?

Thanks
Page 2
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    The may do depending on the price.
    They would probably insist on the return of this one at £115
    LINK DELETED
    But they may decide that due to the inconvenience they have caused the OP and the cost of arranging a collection, it might be better to simply let them keep this: (£25) LINK DELETEDL]
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    The one I bought cost £97 approx, so I doubt they'd agree, but I'm still tempted to ask!

Thx

NEW USER - NOT ALLOWED TO POST LINKS
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    Why would you want to keep it if was unsuitable? or does a free one suddenly seem ok!
    Originally posted by Ganga

Like many things, once it's free, it becomes far more "suitable"
    Originally posted by societys child

I don't recall saying it was suitable. I want to know if it's Ok to keep it because I want to sell it. I just want to make sure I'm within the law. But thanks for your "help". I appreciate it.
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    I don't mind other opinions even if they don't agree with mine.

Not interested in sarcasm or trolls tho, so if that's you pls KIM. Ta.
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 14th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 2,003 Thanks
    daytona0
    Asda are not going to agree to give away the Microwave simply because of a failure to collect by their courier.

I don't know why anyone would seriously suggest asking them to gift it?

Solution is to simply take it to the local Asda store...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    There is an old saying which holds true

"If you don't ask, you don't get"
    ent.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 14th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 3,941 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I don't mind other opinions even if they don't agree with mine.

Not interested in sarcasm or trolls tho, so if that's you pls KIM. Ta.
    Originally posted by anirah2
    Who's Kim? Is that who you want to sell the microwave to?
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 10:48 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    Lol, no. KIM = Keep It Moving. Tecnically it's K.I.M. but I'm lazy
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    There is an old saying which holds true

"If you don't ask, you don't get"
    Originally posted by daytona0
    True! Not sure if I'm bold enough though. Was planning to write to Head Office. Not sure how long I'll be able to remain on my high horse* after that!
    Last edited by anirah2; 16-10-2016 at 10:54 PM. Reason: *Typo - missing word
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 14th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 2,003 Thanks
    daytona0
    True! Not sure if I'm bold enough though. Was planning to write to Head Office. Not sure how long I'll be able to remain on my high after that!
    Just send them an email along the lines of:

Dear X,

I have a microwave which you kindly refunded for being faulty on [insert refund date]. You have asked for it to be returned and this was arranged through [courier name]. To date we have had the following pickup attempts:

1. [date and briefly what happened]
    2. [date and briefly what happened]

I am eager to resolve the outstanding issue and I am more than happy to arrange for another convenient pick-up time. Please advise me on the best steps at this stage. One option is that, with your permission, I take the microwave to the skip as it does not serve any purpose due to the faults present. Please let me know whether or not this as an option as, whilst I am more than happy to accommodate further pickup dates, it may be the most efficient option at this time.
    ent.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    societys child
    I have a microwave which you kindly refunded for being faulty on [insert refund date]
    Thought OP said it was "unsuitable", not faulty?

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Since he's hoping to sell it, I'd wager it was refunded as unsuitable. I sincerely doubt the OP will be allowed to keep the item regardless; so all this discussion is moot.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 15th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    naedanger
    Since he's hoping to sell it, I'd wager it was refunded as unsuitable. I sincerely doubt the OP will be allowed to keep the item regardless; so all this discussion is moot.
    Well one Amazon customer got to keep £3,600 worth of stuff sent to him by mistake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11269888/Student-sent-3600-worth-of-gifts-from-Amazon-because-of-computer-glitch.html
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Well one Amazon customer got to keep £3,600 worth of stuff sent to him by mistake.
    Originally posted by naedanger
    That's all well and good, but Asda didn't send the Microwave by mistake, The OP has had a refund on an item which has yet to be returned.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 15-10-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 15th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    naedanger
    That's all well and good, but Asda didn't send the Microwave by mistake, The OP has had a refund on an item which has yet to bet returned,
    They may not have sent it by mistake but the only reason they don't have it back is because their agent has failed to collect it on three separate occasions.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    My final word on this subject is that I'll be very surprised if the OP is gifted this item. There is no computer glitch, no mistake, simply a failure to collect . Asda has six years in which to resolve this.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 15th Oct 16, 11:12 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    naedanger
    My final word on this subject is that I'll be very surprised if the OP is gifted this item. There is no computer glitch, no mistake, simply a failure to collect . Asda has six years in which to resolve this.
    I think the op has been very accommodating of Asda's failures, far more than I would have been.

If a delivery company failed to collect from me, having had a whole day to do so, and without any explanation, then I would not be making further arrangements. I would tell them what hours I was usually home, but with no guarantees, and then put the item at the back of a cupboard. If they called when I was in then I would be happy to return their item. But I certainly would not be making special arrangements to be sure to be in when they called.
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 16th Oct 16, 10:51 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    Thanks for your answer but I've gone past that stage now - I want to put in a complaint.

They gave me a fake number for their Head Office, they say they're going to phone me back and they don't. Plus, they've told me twice that they can't deal with mebbecause their systems are down, but I think they were just trying to get rid of me!

They've obv got me down as a difficult customer but I just want them to collect their item!
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 16th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    Yes, it's absolutely massive. Kitchen counter space is limited in my flat. I now have a 20 litre microwave. The first one was 48 litres (I think)
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 16th Oct 16, 11:06 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    naedanger
    Thanks for your answer but I've gone past that stage now - I want to put in a complaint.

They gave me a fake number for their Head Office, they say they're going to phone me back and they don't. Plus, they've told me twice that they can't deal with mebbecause their systems are down, but I think they were just trying to get rid of me!

They've obv got me down as a difficult customer but I just want them to collect their item!
    I suggest your complaint is now directly solely at Asda, as they are contractually responsible to you, including for their delivery agent's (i.e. Yodel's) performance.
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 16th Oct 16, 11:09 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    I think the op has been very accommodating of Asda's failures, far more than I would have been.

If a delivery company failed to collect from me, having had a whole day to do so, and without any explanation, then I would not be making further arrangements. I would tell them what hours I was usually home, but with no guarantees, and then put the item at the back of a cupboard. If they called when I was in then I would be happy to return their item. But I certainly would not be making special arrangements to be sure to be in when they called.
    I think I've been very accommodating too!
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 16th Oct 16, 11:19 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2

That's all well and good, but Asda didn't send the Microwave by mistake, The OP has had a refund on an item which has yet to be returned.
    They may not have sent it by mistake but the only reason they don't have it back is because their agent has failed to collect it on three separate occasions.

I hope naedanger is right but I fear Moneyineptitude is right
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter