Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 13th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 2Thanks
    anirah2
    Microwave refunded but NOT collected - Can I keep it?
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    Microwave refunded but NOT collected - Can I keep it? 13th Oct 16 at 6:20 PM
    Hi

I bought a microwave from George.com at Asda. However, I decided to return it as it was unsuitable.

On 12/09/16 no one showed up and my sister was at home all day.

On 13/09/16 Yodel attempted collection at 5.14, even though I had already explained to George customer services that no one would be home until after 7pm.

The third collection was arranged for 16/09/16 after 7pm but Yodel didn't show up again.

I've made numerous attempts to get the microwave collected, even though we've already received a refund. I've phonedGeorge.com ten times, I've emailedGeorge.com twice and I've emailed Yodel twice. In addition, to this I've emailedGeorge.com and Yodel together an additional five times.

What else can I do?!Does the item become mine after a period of time?

Thanks
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 56,026 Posts
    • 321,947 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    It used to be that you had to keep it and make it available for collection for a full six months before it could be considered an "unsolicited gift". Not sure what the law is now though.

A couple of missed attempts isn't anywhere near keeping it.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 17,422 Posts
    • 14,000 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    Does the item become mine after a period of time?
    Originally posted by anirah2
    No, it never becomes yours.

But the good news is that after six years Asda can no longer chase you for the product or its monetary equivalent.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 10,212 Posts
    • 7,372 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:06 PM

Thanks
    To answer the second question there, no it never becomes yours - although after 6 years the retailer would lose their ability to issue legal proceedings against you for its return/its value.

As for what more you can do, I presume it was purchased online and not in store?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 13th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Six years! Wow.
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 13th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    To answer the second question there, no it never becomes yours - although after 6 years the retailer would lose their ability to issue legal proceedings against you for its return/its value.

As for what more you can do, I presume it was purchased online and not in store?
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Yes I purchased it online and was offered the refund after one of the days it was supposed to be collected but wasn't. They don't realise this though (apart from the guy who processed the refund obv).

So George just thinks I'm being difficult to get my money back, when I'm actually just trying to get the thing out of my sister's hallway.
    Last edited by anirah2; 13-10-2016 at 7:31 PM. Reason: To correct typos
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 17,248 Posts
    • 7,790 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:39 PM

So George just thinks I'm being difficult to get my money back, when I'm actually just trying to get the thing out of my sister's hallway.
    You'll probably find your local Asda will accept it back, but make sure you get a receipt from them since they won't be actually actioning the refund.
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 13th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    Yep, quick trip to your local ASDA to drop it off and voila, problem solved! The time you'll waste waiting for deliveries may be longer than the drive to your local store.

You could also maybe send an email to them and ASK to keep it! Its a bit cheeky like, and I don't know for certain what the law is, but they may just agree to that and be done with it.
    ent.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 10,212 Posts
    • 7,372 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    Their website seems to indicate the options are to take it back to an asda store (depending on the product/store), drop it off at a collect+ or send it back by post.

OP have you tried logging into your account and doing this from the "your orders" section? Might be slightly more hassle than having it collected but at least it gets it out of your way and ensures asda arent going to try and recharge your card later on.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 17,248 Posts
    • 7,790 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I don't know for certain what the law is, but they may just agree to that and be done with it.
    Originally posted by daytona0
    They wouldn't remain in business very long if they routinely gave away products from cancelled orders! As far as the law is concerned, it is now their property again and the OP has to make the item available for collection.
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 14th Oct 16, 12:36 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    daytona0
    They wouldn't remain in business very long if they routinely gave away products from cancelled orders! As far as the law is concerned, it is now their property again and the OP has to make the item available for collection.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Don't cherry pick!

ASDA will remain in business for a long time even if they gave away products from cancelled orders, because cancellations are few and far between and ASDA is huge

In terms of my query about the law, I was talking more about the following:

1. OP asks ASDA if they can keep the microwave (a bit cheeky like but whatever!)

2. ASDA agent agrees

3. a few months later ASDA try and chase the money/item
    ent.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 14th Oct 16, 1:11 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    naedanger
    1. OP asks ASDA if they can keep the microwave (a bit cheeky like but whatever!)

2. ASDA agent agrees

3. a few months later ASDA try and chase the money/item
    In those circumstances I don't think ASDA could legally insist on the item or the money back. Obviously if they disputed that an agent made any agreement you might need evidence so I would want the agreement in writing. (Perhaps they might try to argue a reasonable person should have known a customer service agent would not have the authority to make such an agreement. But personally I would argue against such an an assertion.)
    Last edited by naedanger; 14-10-2016 at 1:14 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 17,248 Posts
    • 7,790 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Asda are not going to agree to give away the Microwave simply because of a failure to collect by their courier.

I don't know why anyone would seriously suggest asking them to gift it?

Solution is to simply take it to the local Asda store...
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Oct 16, 3:39 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Ganga
    Hi

I bought a microwave from George.com at Asda. However, I decided to return it as it was unsuitable.

On 12/09/16 no one showed up and my sister was at home all day.

On 13/09/16 Yodel attempted collection at 5.14, even though I had already explained to George customer services that no one would be home until after 7pm.

The third collection was arranged for 16/09/16 after 7pm but Yodel didn't show up again.

I've made numerous attempts to get the microwave collected, even though we've already received a refund. I've phonedGeorge.com ten times, I've emailedGeorge.com twice and I've emailed Yodel twice. In addition, to this I've emailedGeorge.com and Yodel together an additional five times.

Thanks
    Why would you want to keep it if was unsuitable? or does a free one suddenly seem ok!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 8,716 Posts
    • 9,777 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Asda are not going to agree to give away the Microwave simply because of a failure to collect by their courier.
    The may do depending on the price.
    They would probably insist on the return of this one at £115
    http://direct.asda.com/russell-hobbs-rhfm2363b-23l-800w-microwave-black/001589383,default,pd.html

But they may decide that due to the inconvenience they have caused the OP and the cost of arranging a collection, it might be better to simply let them keep this: (£25)
    http://direct.asda.com/Russell-Hobbs-17L-700W-Microwave-Oven---Various-Colours/RH17LMicrowave2MASTER,default,pd.html
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    societys child
    Why would you want to keep it if was unsuitable? or does a free one suddenly seem ok!
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Like many things, once it's free, it becomes far more "suitable"

• anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    You'll probably find your local Asda will accept it back, but make sure you get a receipt from them since they won't be actually actioning the refund.
    Was trying to avoid that! Its soooo heavy (48 litres, I think). Plus I don't drive so I may have to get a cab. But thx, it'll be my last resort!
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    Yep, quick trip to your local ASDA to drop it off and voila, problem solved! The time you'll waste waiting for deliveries may be longer than the drive to your local store.

You could also maybe send an email to them and ASK to keep it! Its a bit cheeky like, and I don't know for certain what the law is, but they may just agree to that and be done with it.
    True, but pls see my post above!

I like the idea of asking them to keep it tho. I doubt v much they'll say yes, I'm just curious as to what the response would be...
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    Their website seems to indicate the options are to take it back to an asda store (depending on the product/store), drop it off at a collect+ or send it back by post.

OP have you tried logging into your account and doing this from the "your orders" section? Might be slightly more hassle than having it collected but at least it gets it out of your way and ensures asda arent going to try and recharge your card later on.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Thx, will give it a try
    • anirah2
    • By anirah2 14th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    anirah2
    Have Yodel explicitly agreed to collect after 7pm? They don't do timed deliveries/ collections, which makes me think they noted your request but it was not guaranteed.

The simplest solution would be to take it to store. Many are open twenty four hours so it can be done at your convenience.
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    No they didn't but I was initially dealing with Asda and I didn't know. But after I found out I asked why they can't collect after 7pm if they can deliver after 7?

I also said that after failing to collect 3 times they should make an exception.

Trying to avoid taking it back myself!

Thx for your reply
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

6,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin