Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• samba
    • By samba 13th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 414Posts
    • 212Thanks
    BT have royally messed up my migration to Infinity
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    BT have royally messed up my migration to Infinity 13th Oct 16 at 4:57 PM
    My broadband contract with Plusnet recently cam to an end, so I looked around for the cheapest offer and signed up with TalkTalk, with an installation date of 11th October. Last monday I discovered that BT had enabled the fibre in my local cabinet, so on looking around I found I could get Bt Infinity on a deal through TopCashback for significantly less than the TalkTalk offer, with TV, evening and weekend calls, and a mobile contrasct thrown in. The following day I duly rang TalkTalk and Plusnet and cancelled the order, and that evening signed up with BT, eveything going through without any problems.

I then got a letter a few days later from Plusnet dated 6th October saying they were ceasing my line on 11th and there would be a charge. I checked online and could see a cesssation charge active on my account, so I phoned them again and they said this was wrong and they would remove it.

In the meantime, something went wrong with my BT order, and without letting me know they cancelled my broadband order but leaving the rest active and decided to transfer the line without broadband and then activate the broadband later. Unfortunately this means there is another cessation order on my plusnet account, and I am facing a £30 charge for BT messing up my order. I thoroughly expect the £215 topcashback to be declined too.

As you can imagine I am extremely unhappy with how BT have handled this. I thought they were supposed to handle the whole migration process so that there were no cessation charges. Is there anyone from BT or plusnet here who can help sort this out for me?
    Last edited by samba; 13-10-2016 at 4:59 PM.
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 13th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 17,156 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    You are better posting in the relevant ISPs forums rather than here on MSE if you want a response from them.

What have BT said when you contacted them? What's happened with the order?

• samba
    • By samba 14th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    Plus net are adamant that as there is a cease on my line then I will be paying the cessation charge, despite the fact I am going to BT. I think BT should cover this charge, but getting through to someone at BT who will/can take ownership of the issue is nigh on impossible.

Having spoken to them again this morning it would appear that my line type is incorrect and cannot support both phone and broadband, despite the fact that it's been doing just that for years! So they are going to move my line over then activate my broadband. They have literally just enabled fibre on my cabinet and that's what I ordered, but still it doesn't justify their course of action. Why not migrate my broadband as standard, then upgrade it to fibre?

I really feel that, as my order reference no longer includes broadband, they will refuse to pay out on the topcashback deal, and I will be out of pocket by £215. Without that deal I would never have ordered from BT. I know topcashback t&c's say that cashback is not guaranteed, but given that I will eventually get all the services I ordered and it HAS tracked already, it seems I have done everything correctly at my end and therefore if BT refuse to pay out due to their own error then I should, on the balance of it, have a chance to recoup the cashback via small claims court. Anyone tried this before?
    • zaax
    • By zaax 14th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    BT are good when nothng goes wrong, but dire when it does.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

306Posts Today

2,214Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin