Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 1,927Posts
    • 3,343Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Beards
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    Beards 13th Oct 16 at 4:42 PM

I see that beards are becoming quite a trend. I think I prefer a proper beard to the unshaven look.
    Ladies and gentleman, what are your views on facial hair?
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 2
    • basil92
    • By basil92 13th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 28,156 Thanks
    basil92
    I don't know who started this trend for hipster beards. I'll be glad when they go out of fashion and men start shaving again. I think they look a bit weird.
    Originally posted by Dill
    Weird is being polite...they look blooming ridiculous on most and utterly preposterous on the rest.

I dislike them ..but each to their own I guess!
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Beards just advertise you are a pervert!

But seriously nah don't like me myself.

But I can only bring myself to shave about once a week so often end up with one for a bit!
    • fierystormcloud
    • By fierystormcloud 13th Oct 16, 7:28 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    fierystormcloud
    I see that beards are becoming quite a trend. I think I prefer a proper beard to the unshaven look.
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Not a fan.

I was gonna grow a beard..But then I said to myself, why hide such a handsome face?
    Originally posted by tommix

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

Bleugh! Bleugh! Bleugh!

I HATE, LOATHE and DETEST beards with a vengeance!

I particularly hate 'big' or 'full' beards. I can't a stand the current fashion for beards. I think they make young men look stupid. And insecure. I think they make older men look insecure. And horrible.

Can't stand facial hair. Can't stand stubble, 'cos it's like sandpaper. Hurts like hell. Give me a lovely, clean-shaven, kissable jawline any day!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    You don't like beards then?!

I am not keen on them on young men, especially not full ones like this;

This one is vile IMO. Some women like them though, especially young women!

This looks OK.

But even then it's hard to kiss a man when he has facial hair.

Someone I know who is late 40s, has a husband who has had a full beard for 3 years, and she refuses to kiss him. So they have gone 3 years without kissing. She said kissing him is utterly vile., and she refuses to do anything intimate with him either. Yet he refuses to shave it off. So they just don't kiss. Or do anything else. Not good IMO. But she doesn't care and says it's a good excuse to not do it.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 21,283 Posts
    • 81,856 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I don't mind them when they're well kept. I remember the way my brother used to be incessantly badgered by our mother when he decided to grow a moustache; constant 'get that thing off your face', etc. I didn't think it was that bad, it was the 1970s after all, and he'd already given her the shock of her life when he had the full blown Roger Daltrey/Peter Frampton perm.

My granddad used to wait until it was time for me to go home every week and, just as I was going to kiss him, grab me and 'brustle' me, which meant rub his bristles all over my face and neck. I think the term 'brustle' came from me when I was learning to talk. This always meant loads of squealing and giggling from me - he got me every week, whether I just went in for the kiss on the cheek or hesitated because I knew what was coming, there was just that moment when his eyes changed (they were the brightest blue) and he'd pounce .

So when the OH hadn't shaved for a few days and did it for the first time to me when a bristle poked me on the nose, not having the slightest idea that's what my granddad used to do, it was the funniest, sweetest thing ever.

Now he knows this, he tends to keep a small amount of facial hair. It's a power thing, I think, as any disagreement can be hastily won by turning me into a squealing mess of giggles. Although he did grow a full beard for a while until I started teasing him by scratching his face like I would the cat, threatening to plait it when he was asleep and pointing out the colour variations made him look like a ginger badger.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 56,021 Posts
    • 321,913 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    [IMG]
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Don't come anywhere near me with that hairy beast.... I find it creepy and quite disgusting .... and it's probably heaving with nasty germs.

Horrid things they are.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 13th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I'm not fussed. But, my strange neighbour has been growing one for the last year or so. If you turned him upside down, he'd look like Don King..which actually makes him more attractive!
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 13th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,958 Thanks
    The Last Username
    Growing a beard just makes me itch.
    Like crazy.
    NOT good.

And nothing at all to do with the fact that my Scots blood together with my age makes my natural growth a mix of ginger and grey.
    Honest.

TBH I dislike the "stubble" look too; IMHO it is thinly-disguised idleness.
    Though I did read recently that beards may be a source for new antibiotics!
    Yes, really:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/beards-good-for-health-more-hygienic-bacteria-resistant-than-shaven-skin-study-finds-a6823461.html
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    The internet can be a dangerous place. Be alert.
    There is an international shortage of lerts.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 13th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    boliston
    I don't know who started this trend for hipster beards. I'll be glad when they go out of fashion and men start shaving again. I think they look a bit weird.
    Originally posted by Dill
    This video is a good laugh lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQg4FH2S8tU
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 13th Oct 16, 9:21 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    squiggles
    I don't like beards at all. I especially don't like seeing all the youngens with them and think they look scruffy and tramp like. However, a cute bloke with a little stubble can look rather hunky and manly.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 13,735 Posts
    • 53,458 Thanks
    Judi
    The 'designer' stubble look just looks unkept which of course it is.

My husband grows a beard every winter to keep him warm on the building site and every spring shaves it off. Funny thing is he is fair haired and his beard is red.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I am not a fan on these big beards. Some men would look much better and handsome if they shave their beards off
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 13,735 Posts
    • 53,458 Thanks
    Judi
    My favourite style of facial hair on a man...

Nice...
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 14th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 2,792 Thanks
    Izadora
    I love beards. I don't even mind the ridiculous hipster beards, although I prefer a well-groomed 'normal' one.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 14th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 5,583 Posts
    • 12,003 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I like a little bit of stubble but there is no greater turn on than a clean shaven, nicely scented guy!

Fully beards belong on mountain men who want their scent to blend in with nature!
    I don't know the future but the past looks clearer every day
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 13,735 Posts
    • 53,458 Thanks
    Judi
    One of my Sons friends has a neck beard. Anyone a fan? I think they are vile.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    Murphybear
    My first husband had a moustache. Well, it was the 70s

My current OH only shaves when we go out, big advantage of being retired. He actually looks quite good with a week's growth.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 13,735 Posts
    • 53,458 Thanks
    Judi
    Throughout my husbands 20s and partly his 30s he had a moustache. The one day he decided to shave it off and the next time i saw my Mom i expected her to say something so when she didnt, the next time i saw her i asked her if she'd noticed anything different about him. She hadnt. When i told her he had shaved his moustache off she said she hadnt noticed because she hadnt noticed he'd got one in the first place.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 14th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    Gavin83
    I don't really have a choice with the stubble. If I shave in the morning before work by the time I finish I'll have stubble again. I look better with a bit of stubble anyway so I'm not too bothered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,218Posts Today

5,955Users online

Martin's Twitter