Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• grilli
    • By grilli 13th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 522Posts
    • 55Thanks
    Care home fees
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    Care home fees 13th Oct 16 at 4:30 PM
    Not sure where to post this, Anyone on here know ruling on these? My mum has been told she has to pay the top up fee for my dad for the new home he's had to move into, the home he was in was mostly self funded becuase of some pensions he has. Now I know they dont have savings and apart from the house (which my mum still lives in, so cant be sold) no other assets. He needs more care than what was being provided as his previous home. The fees are an extra £200 a month, which she cant afford, Me, my brother and sisters have said we will pay for her, but should she have to pay anyway?
Page 1
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 13th Oct 16, 5:18 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:18 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:18 PM
    Has your dad/mum had a means test done with the new arrangement? if not, that is your first port of call.

It may come back that your father may need to be moved to a cheaper care setting if the council is responsible for paying; but you have stated you are happy to pay the top up.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

337Posts Today

3,549Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • BBC weather just told us clocks going back means "everyone gets an extra hour's sleep". Hmmm not if you've young children or on nightshift.

• Pension cold callers and misselling ruins lives. This petition is trying to stop them sign if u agree.

• Thank you Microsoft (Tom)

• Follow Martin