Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 13th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 11Thanks
    kmb500
    What is a planned overdraft?
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    What is a planned overdraft? 13th Oct 16 at 4:25 PM
    Hi, I currently have a 100 overdraft on my TSB current account. I am considering asking them to increase this as I think I may need to use it in the next few months. I am really struggling to understand what it actually means though, as their help website is confusing me. It says that a planned overdraft can only be 25 unless you're a student... my current one is 25 and there is a button on my account saying that I can apply to increase it.

Do I pay interest on using a planned overdraft? I never go into my overdraft so I don't really know.
    Any advice would be great, thanks
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Oct 16, 5:22 PM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:22 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:22 PM
    This question might be better on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts board, but anyway...

A planned overdraft is one you've arranged in advance - so it sounds like you currently have a 100 planned overdraft available to you.

An unplanned overdraft is one you haven't arranged in advance. For example, if a direct debit took your overdraft up to 110 - you would have a 10 unplanned overdraft.

The fees for unplanned overdrafts are very high.

Not sure what your saying about the 25 - except that TSB don't charge any fees/interest on planned overdrafts up to 25 on their Classic Account. You pay interest on any amount higher than 25.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,414Posts Today

6,115Users online

Martin's Twitter