Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SKG2016
    • By SKG2016 13th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SKG2016
    Received draft contracts without the deed documents
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    Received draft contracts without the deed documents 13th Oct 16 at 4:00 PM
    My solicitor has received the draft contracts without deed documents from the seller's solicitors, how long do you think this will take to retrieve. In addition should I allow my solicitor to submit the searches on the property without the deed documents?
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    It is possible to download a copy of the title for a property (assuming the property has been registered at the Land Registry), along with a title plan showing the land covered by the title from the Land registry website for £6.

Your solicitor will need a copy of the title plan before they are able to apply for a local authority search.

Ask the EA to chase your vendor's solicitor to provide a copy of the title and title plan.
    • SKG2016
    • By SKG2016 13th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SKG2016
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    Ok thanks for this, I will chase the vendor's solicitor.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 51,222 Posts
    • 43,004 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    Ok thanks for this, I will chase the vendor's solicitor.
    Originally posted by SKG2016
    Vendors solicitors won't deal with you directly.As your not their client. I'm sure that your solicitor has the matter in hand.
    “A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against ‘a rainy day’.”
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 37,019 Posts
    • 40,944 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    Is the property title registered or unregistered?

If you're not sure, check here.

If it's there, download a copy for £3.
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 13th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 16,263 Thanks
    SmlSave
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    It is possible to download a copy of the title for a property (assuming the property has been registered at the Land Registry), along with a title plan showing the land covered by the title from the Land registry website for £6.

Your solicitor will need a copy of the title plan before they are able to apply for a local authority search.

Ask the EA to chase your vendor's solicitor to provide a copy of the title and title plan.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    And if it's unregistered? No deeds at the Land Registry!

OP, if you want the property get the Local Land Search ordered, some council's take a while to complete them
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off £20,000
    £350 per month challenge
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Oct 16, 6:42 AM
    • 10,868 Posts
    • 30,601 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:42 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:42 AM
    Also - if you're going to get the Title Plan - then get the Register entry too (a further £3).

I presume when you say "Deed documents" that it is the "Title Plan" you mean - or do you mean "Deed documents" (ie original paper Deeds from when the house was built).

I have two sets of documentation for my house:

- the "Deed" documents (ie the original papers from when the house was built prior to modern-day "Title Plans")

- the modern day "Title Plan" and "Register" entry

The "Deed" documents contain extra information that isn't there in the modern day "Title Plan" and "Register" entry.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 14th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 7,325 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    Naff sellere's solicitors. Can't see how they draw up the draft contract in the first place without seeing the Land Registry entries, any relevant lease, and/or the unregistered deeds.

Could be a simple admin error - if the draft contract contains reference to the title - either "the title is regfiostered at HM Land Registry under title number [ e.g. YZ1234546]" or "the title shall commence with a conveyance on sale dated [dd/mmm/yyyy] and made between [AB] and [CD" then the secretary simply forgot to photocopy the documents and put them in the envelope. In practice you can't dreaw upa draft contract without seeing the documents. in that case it is a simple matte rof your solicitor phonjiing them up and pointingf out they forgot to enclose them and no big deal.

Or is the "draft contract" simply a form with a load of blanks? That would be a sign of inefficiency on the seller's solicitor's part. It may or may not mean that they haven't yet got the relevant copies/deeds.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • SKG2016
    • By SKG2016 14th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SKG2016
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    Naff sellere's solicitors. Can't see how they draw up the draft contract in the first place without seeing the Land Registry entries, any relevant lease, and/or the unregistered deeds.

Could be a simple admin error - if the draft contract contains reference to the title - either "the title is regfiostered at HM Land Registry under title number [ e.g. YZ1234546]" or "the title shall commence with a conveyance on sale dated [dd/mmm/yyyy] and made between [AB] and [CD" then the secretary simply forgot to photocopy the documents and put them in the envelope. In practice you can't dreaw upa draft contract without seeing the documents. in that case it is a simple matte rof your solicitor phonjiing them up and pointingf out they forgot to enclose them and no big deal.

Or is the "draft contract" simply a form with a load of blanks? That would be a sign of inefficiency on the seller's solicitor's part. It may or may not mean that they haven't yet got the relevant copies/deeds.
    Originally posted by Richard Webster

That's such a good point, I'm a first time buyer so I wouldn't know about things like this to pick up! Yesterday I told my solicitor to go ahead with submitting the searches but now I'm starting to think how this is possible without the "deed documents". Not entirely sure what she means by deed documents now. I will revert back to her and ask her. I'm hoping it is an admin error as you are completely right how can the seller's solicitors write a draft contract without it.
    • SKG2016
    • By SKG2016 14th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SKG2016
    Also - if you're going to get the Title Plan - then get the Register entry too (a further £3).

I presume when you say "Deed documents" that it is the "Title Plan" you mean - or do you mean "Deed documents" (ie original paper Deeds from when the house was built).

I have two sets of documentation for my house:

- the "Deed" documents (ie the original papers from when the house was built prior to modern-day "Title Plans")

- the modern day "Title Plan" and "Register" entry

The "Deed" documents contain extra information that isn't there in the modern day "Title Plan" and "Register" entry.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

Not sure tbh, as I am a first time buyer, so all of this is new to me.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 37,019 Posts
    • 40,944 Thanks
    G_M
    well paying the £3 would be a good way to

a) learn and
    b) answer some of your questions!
    • SKG2016
    • By SKG2016 14th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SKG2016
    Turns out it was admin error, my solicitors have now received it and submitted all the searches! How long do you guys reckon it will take to exchange now. I'm a FTB and my seller has bought a place which is chain free. Ideally I would love to be moved in next month?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 37,019 Posts
    • 40,944 Thanks
    G_M
    could be next month.

Could be next year.

Or your purchase could fall through.
    • SKG2016
    • By SKG2016 14th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SKG2016
    could be next month.

Could be next year.

Or your purchase could fall through.
    Originally posted by G_M

Thanks for your optimism! Ha! It's actually fallen through before. Offer was accepted in August, sale fell through in September, seller came back and wanted to sell again as she had a offer accepted on a property, which she hadn't before. It's been such a whirlwind experience. I just want it over with! Both of us have had our mortgage offers. All it is now is the contracts and searches to be completed.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 6,625 Posts
    • 3,588 Thanks
    martindow
    Searches take very different times with different local authorities. If you could let us know which council you are dealing with someone may have some recent info on the time scale.
    • SKG2016
    • By SKG2016 14th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SKG2016
    Searches take very different times with different local authorities. If you could let us know which council you are dealing with someone may have some recent info on the time scale.
    Originally posted by martindow

Good point. Its London Borough of Havering.
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 14th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    My solicitor downloads it themselves and starts searches ASAP before seller pack is received
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 14th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 16,263 Thanks
    SmlSave
    Good point. Its London Borough of Havering.
    Originally posted by SKG2016
    Their website is currently down but if you search London Borough of Havering land charges it might come up with their approximate time scales for searches

If the search creates enquires then you'll have to wait for them to be answered
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off £20,000
    £350 per month challenge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

5,643Users online

Martin's Twitter