Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • captainjon
    • By captainjon 13th Oct 16, 3:16 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 5Thanks
    captainjon
    Bogus car trader online
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:16 PM
    Bogus car trader online 13th Oct 16 at 3:16 PM
    I bought a car from a "dealer" from a Gumtree ad who didnt give me the V5. It was sold online as a "very good car" and "drives like new" in a trade advert. We met after hours, on the street, and not in his office. I paid via bank transfer at my house, as i didnt want to use an ATM. Yes, stupid, i know.

After paying, i got the receipt which said "sold as seen", "in good working order" and "service needed soon".
    Soon after, I found out that the turbo was completely broken and it cost over £700 to fix. After phoning, the dealer said he wouldnt fix it. Then he became uncontactable and as I had moved to another city for work, repaired it at my cost.

I then received the registration document which said it was salvaged because the estimated cost of repair was more than the value. The dealer did not mention this.

I have searched online for the trader and found no information, nor the company at companies house. I do have the address of his "Ltd company" from the V5 and his bank account details. How can i proceed to recover my losses?
Page 1
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 13th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    I think you know yourself you have made a stupid mistake....once again i say if it looks to good to be true then it usually is.

I fear you will have to put the whole episode down to a very bad experience.
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 17,405 Posts
    • 13,968 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    I do have the address of his "Ltd company" from the V5 and his bank account details.
    Originally posted by captainjon
    You have the address of the last registered keeper.

Are you sure that's the address of the seller?

Might be worth getting in touch with the last RK, but I fear you chances of getting anywhere with this are slim.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 10,188 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    Search the details you have for him - address, name, phone number, bank details etc to see if theres any other listings which might contain useful information. Report him to trading standards.

As for getting your own money back, short of having his name & address, you wont even be able to issue legal proceedings - never mind enforce any judgement.

While it seems hes possibly/probably committed several offences, you'll likely find the police will take the "its a civil matter" route and will only take action on the say so of TS (who themselves usually dont take any action unless they've had loads of complaints).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 14,582 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    If you want to message me the info you have in confidence I will search and see if there's anything I can find.agree with above post and suspect it's not the first time he's done this.
    • captainjon
    • By captainjon 13th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    captainjon
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    You have the address of the last registered keeper.

Are you sure that's the address of the seller?

Might be worth getting in touch with the last RK, but I fear you chances of getting anywhere with this are slim.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    i have the V5 address which matches the location we met, so i assume its valid.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 17,405 Posts
    • 13,968 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    i have the V5 address which matches the location we met, so i assume its valid.
    That's ok then.

You met on the street.
    Did you see him come out of the premises?
    If not, could he have just arranged that meeting point because he knew the address of the last RK?

Perhaps you could/should visit these premises and establish whether your 'trader' actually works there.
    • captainjon
    • By captainjon 13th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    captainjon
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    That's ok then.

You met on the street.
    Did you see him come out of the premises?
    If not, could he have just arranged that meeting point because he knew the address of the last RK?

Perhaps you could/should visit these premises and establish whether your 'trader' actually works there.
    Glad you find this funny. It was after hours, and it was in the vicinity of the supposed trade address.
    he drove up in the car, and its possible he has no connection at all to any local businesses, but has commited fraud with the DVLA if so.
    Last edited by captainjon; 13-10-2016 at 4:50 PM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 17,405 Posts
    • 13,968 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    he drove up in the car, and its possible he has no connection at all to any local businesses, but has commited fraud with the DVLA if so.
    Not necessarily.

Just pointing out to you that you need to do some more work before you can say that you know the trader's address.

As others have said, without the trader's address you stand no chance of doing anything.
    • captainjon
    • By captainjon 13th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    captainjon
    Not necessarily.

Just pointing out to you that you need to do some more work before you can say that you know the trader's address.

As others have said, without the trader's address you stand no chance of doing anything.
    even with bank account details?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 17,405 Posts
    • 13,968 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Yes, even with bank details.

Again, you need an address for this trader.
    Neither your bank or his bank are going to give you that information.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 10,188 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Paying by bank transfer is akin to paying cash in hand. It offers no protection if things go wrong.

Also I believe bank transfers dont check the name on the account at all - only the account number & sort code. So theoretically the account may not be in the name of the person/company you think it is.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Oct 16, 11:36 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    takman
    How could you not tell there was a problem with the turbo when you test drove it? Or did the problem occur just after you bought it?.

Also why did you not do a HPI check on the car?

Just think your lucky it only cost you £700, it could have been stolen and then you would have lost a lot more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,034Posts Today

5,681Users online

Martin's Twitter