Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 13th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 1,586Posts
    • 640Thanks
    paul2louise
    Asda increased working hours
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    Asda increased working hours 13th Oct 16 at 2:33 PM
    My colleagues and I work on the counters at Asda. For as long as I have worked there the counters shut between 7-8 allowing cleaning before finishing shift around 9pm. Rotas are done on a weekly basis and are based on a rough number of hours a week. We are expected to do extra shifts if requested which can prove tricky but if you really have a problem then usually you can sort it.
    However our manager has now decided that he wants the counters to shut at 10. I have a car but some of my colleagues rely on buses. They are quite worried that they are traveling home late at night.
    What are our working rights. Can they expect us to stay later. if we refused can we loose our jobs? Problem is that some will probably give in and do it and I don't think we are a strong enough to all say no.

I am not sure if we will be expected to stay later than 10 to clean.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,408 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    What do your contracts say? (that is the starting point)
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    Hmm. Walmart. So I can guess what your contacts say. It doesn't require psychic skills either. Even if you all say no, and stick together, AND if you all have more than two years employment, I can foresee that a really good outcome will be that you all end up stacking shelves (or whatever the worst job in the store is) on five hours a week. They won't need to dismiss you. You'll resign. Because you can't live on the hours they offer. And that's probably the best outcome. The other one will be they dismiss you.

Asda / Walmart are the union breakers. Any sign of solidarity will be met with unrelenting force.

And if you can't win together, you certainly won't if some agree. So I'm afraid the answer is yes - they'll force you to do it, and you'll agree, or there will be consequences.

Keep an eye out for jobs at Morrison's or Tescos or Aldi - in fact, any other supermarket. You won't find any of them loads better, but the rest of them aren't renowned for publicly announcing that they will smash any union organisation in the place!
    • paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 13th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    paul2louise
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    Well i am fortunately only a seasonal collegue and love working for asda that much that if they do impose these new changes i will not be giving them my seasonal assistance over christmas. I have term time part time job so have that to fall back on. I just feel for my collegues who have to put up with situation. I just hope they can make it work
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,353Users online

Martin's Twitter