Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nixia
    • By Nixia 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Nixia
    Health/Dental Insurance Help
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    Health/Dental Insurance Help 13th Oct 16 at 1:17 PM
    I've just finished uni and been hit with a £300 NHS dental bill. I've always had free treatment etc before, so I hadn't exactly budgeted for it (and I haven't been working long enough to save much - I'm actually still paying back student/moving debit (not just the student loan)).

A pre-payment certificate is worth it for prescriptions, but I was wondering if I should be looking into health or dental insurance? I dont really understand what it covers, and none of my family has it.

Finance wise, after bills, I go home with about £500, although that has to pay for food etc as well. Is dental and/or health insurance better than paying massive bills in one go?

If so, which plans should I be looking at?

I havent accepted the nhs treatment yet, so I might be able to delay it a few months. I'm sure it would count as a 'pre-existing condition' or something though.

Edit: The current £300 bill isnt really what im asking about, as I am assuming its too late to do anything about. I just want to know if its worth paying these bills as lump sums or getting dental insurance for next time.
    Last edited by Nixia; 15-10-2016 at 1:49 PM.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    Would you qualify under the NHS low income scheme

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx
    • Nixia
    • By Nixia 13th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nixia
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    No, thats why I used to get free treatment as a student though. I actually earn a good wage, I just live in a very expensive area (although in the cheapest accommodation I could find).
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Oct 16, 6:53 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:53 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:53 PM
    No, thats why I used to get free treatment as a student though. I actually earn a good wage, I just live in a very expensive area (although in the cheapest accommodation I could find).
    Originally posted by Nixia

Then I am afraid you will need to pay. You had to have due diligence before allowing someone to do work either your teeth or your car.

You can't get a service without knowing if you can pay for it or assume your entitled to it for free.

I would pay it up, cut down for a month on your spending and chalk it off as a learning lesson.

Failure to pay may result in a County Court judgement which could make it difficult for you to obtain credit in future and ruin your credit file.
    • beedeedee
    • By beedeedee 14th Oct 16, 6:46 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    beedeedee
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:46 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:46 AM
    In future, speak to your dentist beforehand and if he knows (and trusts you), he might let you pay it off a bit at a time?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 14th Oct 16, 6:53 AM
    • 5,435 Posts
    • 10,121 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:53 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:53 AM
    OP clearly stated they haven't had the treatment yet, so I'm not sure why a CCJ is being thrown around.

I have private health insurance, my dental premium is £9 per month, this covers two checkups a year and two hygienist visits, it also gives me a 20% discount on treatments whether I pay myself or claim. My dentist has a payment scheme where you can pay over 10 months with 0% interest.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 30,246 Posts
    • 14,330 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    ......I havent accepted the nhs treatment yet, so I might be able to delay it a few months. I'm sure it would count as a 'pre-existing condition' or something though.
    Originally posted by Nixia
    You could consider taking out a simply health cash plan ( not a recommendation), but they cover dental claims from the day the policy starts irrespective of it being for pre existing conditions.

Their maximum cover is around £200 a year, but you can cancel at any time (even after a claim) - if you get my drift!!
    Last edited by Quentin; 14-10-2016 at 4:12 PM.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    OP clearly stated they haven't had the treatment yet, so I'm not sure why a CCJ is being thrown around.

I have private health insurance, my dental premium is £9 per month, this covers two checkups a year and two hygienist visits, it also gives me a 20% discount on treatments whether I pay myself or claim. My dentist has a payment scheme where you can pay over 10 months with 0% interest.
    Originally posted by GwylimT

In that case OP doesn't need to get the work done, OP has a choice, pay or delay treatment and potentially dental problem could get worse and costing more.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    Dental plans usually require a check up and any necessary work done before they cover you.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 30,246 Posts
    • 14,330 Thanks
    Quentin
    Dental plans usually require a check up and any necessary work done before they cover you.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Not with the cash plan mentioned in #7
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 14th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 34,735 Posts
    • 44,721 Thanks
    McKneff
    In your first post, you say you have been hit with a dental bill,

I am conused7
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Nixia
    • By Nixia 15th Oct 16, 1:24 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nixia
    Then I am afraid you will need to pay. You had to have due diligence before allowing someone to do work either your teeth or your car.

You can't get a service without knowing if you can pay for it or assume your entitled to it for free.

I would pay it up, cut down for a month on your spending and chalk it off as a learning lesson.

Failure to pay may result in a County Court judgement which could make it difficult for you to obtain credit in future and ruin your credit file.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    I dont think you actually read the question. I never once said I wasnt going to pay something, or that I 'expected' anything to be free. Even if you assumed that I had the treatment already, I was asking about dental insurance so that I didnt get bills like this in future, not to avoid paying a current bill.

I said that I used to get free treatment as so I didnt realise how expensive dental bills could get. I also said that I hadnt actually had the treatment yet (I know how much it is about to cost though, and that is quite unavoidable).

I was just wondering if getting a health or dental plan in the future was a good idea... not to dispute my current dentist or situation. I not trying to get out of my current quote (just mentioned it at the end in case anyone had any clever ideas for spreading the cost - and someone did!).

Is paying lump sums like this the most economical way, or is insurance a good idea?
    Last edited by Nixia; 15-10-2016 at 1:39 PM.
    • Nixia
    • By Nixia 15th Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nixia
    Thanks for all the sensible answers . I know what treatment the dentist has recommended, but even they have said I could put it off for several months. I might just get it done now though, and look at plans for the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter