Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cogito
    • By cogito 13th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    • 1,827Posts
    • 2,955Thanks
    cogito
    Bob Dylan
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    Bob Dylan 13th Oct 16 at 1:01 PM
    Awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Fantastic!
Page 3
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 14th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 3,826 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    ..Mainly because I couldn't find a small enough image of Cacophonix..
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Choose one of these and shrink it to avatar size.

If you don't have a graphics app that will resize images I can do it for you.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 14th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 3,826 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    From Wikipedia.

During his Dinkytown days, Zimmerman began introducing himself as "Bob Dylan".[20][a 1] In his memoir, Dylan acknowledged that he had been influenced by the poetry of Dylan Thomas.[21] Explaining his change of name in a 2004 interview, Dylan remarked, "You're born, you know, the wrong names, wrong parents. I mean, that happens. You call yourself what you want to call yourself. This is the land of the free."
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 14th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 3,826 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    ..I agree with everything you've written apart from Nicholas Parsons..Although he was very good as a presenter of 'Sale of the Century', Imo he wasn't in the same league as Hendrix, Jagger, Joplin etc...
    Originally posted by tommix
    I don't think Codger meant Nicholas Parsons.

I think he meant Andy Parsons.

PS: there isn't a gram of truth in that.
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 6,663 Posts
    • 11,444 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Dylan's trifecta of Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde can never be surpassed musically. Sheer allusive poetry set to great tunes.

His last decent album, in my opinion, was in 1997 but he recorded a bunch of great ones prior to that, starting with Bob Dylan in 1962.
    Last edited by Dreamnine; 14-10-2016 at 2:18 PM.
    It is nexuses not nexi, dummy. And it's between you and me, not you and I.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 14th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 7,021 Posts
    • 11,792 Thanks
    dori2o
    For me it's very nmuch deserved.

I grew up in the 80's and heard dylan most days whilst my Dad listened to his albums.

This has had a major influence on my own journey through music and Dylan, Neil Young, Janis Joplin, CSN, etc form a large part of my own collection. Dylans early music also helped me appreciate early american folk and that transcended into Irish and olde english folk, so much so that I'm off to see The Oldham Tinkers perform next week.

To those who say he's just a musician or a singer/songwriter, I would suggest you've only ever heard his words sung in his songs either by him of the many many artists who perform covers of his work, which itself is a true reflection of how good these songs and their lyrics are. Afterall you wouldn't voluntarily sing a bad song would you?

I urge these people to read his lyrics rather than listen to them. Many of them are just poems he's put to music given thats how he writes them. The words come fisrt the melody follows.

He's not the greatest singer, never has been, but the songs never quite sound as good if it's someone else singing them. I don't know about anyone else but i've always thought his voice deteriorated a lot after his motorbike crash in 1966, just weeks after his legendary performance at Manchesters Free Trade Hall (Incorectly labelled as being at the Royal Albert Hall on the bootleg).

There are too many great songs to pick a favourite but the 2 I enjoy most are Hurricaine (based on Rubin 'Hurricaine' Carter) and Talking Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues (about a Father's Day boat cruise up the Hudson River to Bear Mountain that had gone awry due to counterfeit tickets and overcrowding)>

Both in my opinion show considerable story telling ability, which is what literature is (isn't it?).
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 21,283 Posts
    • 81,855 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted

To those who say he's just a musician or a singer/songwriter, I would suggest you've only ever heard his words sung in his songs either by him of the many many artists who perform covers of his work, which itself is a true reflection of how good these songs and their lyrics are. Afterall you wouldn't voluntarily sing a bad song would you?
    Originally posted by dori2o
    You perform whatever gets the money in. Which includes doing numbers that you dislike - I've performed Dylan songs and, out of all our mates, I only know one who actually likes him.

There are of course, exceptions to the rule - when other people have covered things he's done, ie, Knockin' on Heaven's Door & All Along the Watchtower - and Subterranean Homesick Blues is alright - but it seems that the majority of Dylan fans are people who don't actually play anything themselves (if nowt else because the basslines are boring, mostly root-4th-root-4th-root-4th-root-stick in a passing 3rd because I'm losing the will to live here-4th, the chord progressions are boring; the up and down of The Times They Are A-Changing are the perfect opportunity to plan what you're having for tea. For the next month.) his vocalisation and intonation is atrocious and, for somebody with so many years to have practised, he's still one of the worst harmonica players in the known Universe).

One of the things to strike fear into the heart of professional musicians on an evening off is to see a bloke turning up at a pub with a guitar and harmonica cage. Not because they're looking down on somebody who wants to perform, good on them, but because it invariably signals 20 mins of dirges, mumbling and the sound of a child's toy designed for irritating all around them. And you have to smile and clap all the same, whilst wishing for a hole to open up in the stage.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • codger
    • By codger 14th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    codger
    From Wikipedia.

During his Dinkytown days, Zimmerman began introducing himself as "Bob Dylan".[20][a 1] In his memoir, Dylan acknowledged that he had been influenced by the poetry of Dylan Thomas.[21] Explaining his change of name in a 2004 interview, Dylan remarked, "You're born, you know, the wrong names, wrong parents. I mean, that happens. You call yourself what you want to call yourself. This is the land of the free."
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    True. But as ever, wikipedia is a dog's breakfast of secondhand journalism and third rate narratives. Mr Zimmerman certainly derived a wry pleasure from Thomas the Poet's forename, but that did not mean that "he had been influenced" by Thomas the Poet's poetry. He just. . . liked the spelling, a "cool" revision of Dillon, aka Marshall Dillon from his favourite TV Western show when growing up, a name which, as he told his friends at the time, he'd love to use in his then intended career in music. As he pointed out in later years, if he'd been that much "influenced" by Dylan Thomas, he'd have changed his name to. . . Thomas.
    • codger
    • By codger 14th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    codger
    I don't think Codger meant Nicholas Parsons. I think he meant Andy Parsons.

PS: there isn't a gram of truth in that.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    Absolutely. The truth seems to have deserted you . . .
    • effervescing elephant
    • By effervescing elephant 14th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    effervescing elephant
    You perform whatever gets the money in. Which includes doing numbers that you dislike - I've performed Dylan songs and, out of all our mates, I only know one who actually likes him.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    That's true when you're at the bottom of the game. But I think they were referring to artists and bands who have had some success and are free to chose what songs they perform, from an artistic perspective or from personal preference, as opposed to a 'band' made up of a few p*ssheads down the local pub.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Oct 16, 10:44 PM
    • 21,283 Posts
    • 81,855 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    That's true when you're at the bottom of the game. But I think they were referring to artists and bands who have had some success and are free to chose what songs they perform, from an artistic perspective or from personal preference, as opposed to a 'band' made up of a few p*ssheads down the local pub.
    Originally posted by effervescing elephant

I would have thought that somebody considerably higher up the food chain would be more likely to do covers that sell well/fit the brand image, rather than things they liked.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • koexelek
    • By koexelek 15th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 15,760 Thanks
    koexelek
    Originally posted by effervescing elephant
    You obviously have great taste in music with a user name like that
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

3,585Users online

Martin's Twitter