Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PenniesMake£s
    • By PenniesMake£s 13th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 803Thanks
    PenniesMake£s
    Will this recipe work?
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    Will this recipe work? 13th Oct 16 at 12:53 PM
    I never have much success with my slow cooker and have lost my confidence cooking in general at the moment. I have put 5 chicken breasts, a diced onion, 3 crushed garlic cloves, a packet of mushrooms sliced, salt and pepper and a tub of single cream and a handful of grated parmesan in the slow cooker with the intention of cooking it on high for 4 hours. Will this work do you think?
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    if they are skinless boneless breasts that might be too long on high.
    I tend to cook the chicken for a while first and then add the sauce but that is just my take on things.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 55,968 Posts
    • 321,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    It'll work, so the question is whether the outcome suits your personal palate.

There are two parts to cooking:
    - will it cook, is it edible/safe to eat.
    - do I personally like the outcome, the taste, the texture.

It will cook, it will be edible, it will be safe.
    So then it's down to what tastes you like.....

It might be "a bit bland/insipid" and "lacking in exciting flavour" when you come to taste it.... only you will know that.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 13th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 5,202 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    As you have asked I make the following comments in the spirit of feeding back & being helpful - feel free to ignore!
    I know the feeling of losing your confidence - I suggest a return to basics. There is a lot of good advice on here, but 'old hands' can sometimes forget how difficult it can be for someone who needs to take small steps.

I think that the cream will curdle - this is part of some recipes (Italian recipes often do this) and a lot of people like it, others don't (see Pasture's reply)

In the spirit of returning to basics, I use my slow cooker for tough meat that needs breaking down: brisket, belly pork, lamb breast, anything sold as 'stewing'.
    I rarely do chicken in the slow cooker for that reason, but I might do thighs or a whole chicken occasionally: breasts are IMHO expensive, not as tasty, and don't need slow cooking.
    But I would also say that if it works (as in, you and the family like it) then chalk one up!
    • Corona
    • By Corona 13th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    Corona
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    Personally, I always brown meat before putting it into my slow cooker (I find it adds to the flavour). I was always told to cook any meat dish on High for an hour and then turn it down, which is what i do and it seems to work well. I would have used stock rather than the cream (I agree, I think it will curdle) and then added some cream before serving, just warm it gently through before dishes out.

BUT at the end of the day, only you can say if it has worked
    • PenniesMake£s
    • By PenniesMake£s 13th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    PenniesMake£s
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    Thanks for your replies. It turned out ok. The cream did curdle a bit and I added some grated mozzarella at the end to bring it all back together. Served it over pasta and everyone ate it but no one wants it again. A bit too rich and a bit weird.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 55,968 Posts
    • 321,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    no one wants it again. A bit too rich and a bit weird.
    Originally posted by PenniesMake£s
    That'll be that cream probably .... if you'd done it all in a simple stock then it can't go wrong as it's just "meat and stuff in gravy" at worst, which nobody can moan about
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 9,496 Posts
    • 21,117 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    Thanks for your replies. It turned out ok. The cream did curdle a bit and I added some grated mozzarella at the end to bring it all back together. Served it over pasta and everyone ate it but no one wants it again. A bit too rich and a bit weird.
    Originally posted by PenniesMake£s

I'd agree, edible but a tad weird

Next time, use thighs, they take a long slow cook. Don't add cream, use a wee glass of white wine or chicken stock When cooked, strain the liquid into a saucepan, bring to the boil, then whisk in the double cream to thicken
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,769Posts Today

7,616Users online

Martin's Twitter