Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emily2005
    • By Emily2005 13th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Emily2005
    Overcharged by a Locksmith
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    Overcharged by a Locksmith 13th Oct 16 at 12:32 PM
    I recently engaged locksmith service from a firm named AM London Locksmith (www . londonlocksmith . london), not an MLA locksmith, and have been overcharged. I was wondering whether you could provide me with some advice as to what you think of the situation.

On its pricing page, the cost of replacing a cylinder is £59. I was unaware of this as my housemate called in to request the service. When the technician came to replace our thumb-turn lock (British Standard), he charged me a price of £255 (£59 for service, £196 for the lock). I have an invoice of this service.

I decided to call in to AM Locksmith later and enquired about their most expensive thumb-turn lock and the price quoted over the phone was £89. I have this conversation recorded.

Since then, we have:
    - called in to AM Locksmith to raise the dispute and was told to send an email to the office
    - we emailed the office as per requested, but have received a response saying that I was given a choice of locks during the service and chose a high end British Standard lock. Hence, am liable for the exorbitant fees. The prices were not placed on the products themselves, the technician simply quoted the prices to me.

I am wondering whether their reasoning is acceptable, or is this case of dishonest and fraudulent behaviour sufficient for further legal dispute.

Thank you so much for reading my enquiry and I will really appreciate your help.
Page 2
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 14th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    naedanger
    Yeah, under the Consumer Rights Act, I agreed to the price and hence the locksmith is not at fault. I understand this part. But under the Fraud Act S.3 failure to disclose information, the locksmith did not present the true prices of the locks. (In the call, max British Standard Thumb-turn is £89).
    Anyway, on the website it says "REPLACE / GAIN ENTRY TO RIM CYLINDER" for £59. I'd think the "replacement" is the fitting?
    Originally posted by Emily2005
    I don't understand why you keep saying you agreed the price if you were not told the price in pounds in advance of fitting.
    Last edited by naedanger; 14-10-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 8,689 Posts
    • 9,752 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I don't understand why you keep saying you agreed the price if you were not told the price in pounds in advance of fitting.
    Originally posted by naedanger
    But the OP was told the price in advance:

I was given a choice of locks during the service and chose a high end British Standard lock. Hence, am liable for the exorbitant fees. The prices were not placed on the products themselves, the technician simply quoted the prices to me
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 8,689 Posts
    • 9,752 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Yeah, under the Consumer Rights Act, I agreed to the price and hence the locksmith is not at fault. I understand this part. But under the Fraud Act S.3 failure to disclose information, the locksmith did not present the true prices of the locks.
    The price that they were selling the locks at was the "true price" and this is the only price that matters.
    Do Tesco, Sainsbury, B&Q etc show the price that they paid the manufacturer or wholesaler for the goods they sell?
    • Emily2005
    • By Emily2005 14th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emily2005
    The price that they were selling the locks at was the "true price" and this is the only price that matters.
    Do Tesco, Sainsbury, B&Q etc show the price that they paid the manufacturer or wholesaler for the goods they sell?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Hey, thanks for you response. I get where you're coming from. Supermarkets do not show the wholesale price, that is correct. However, in the event that I ring a supermarket up/go on their website, and ask for the price of the product, I expect the price quoted to me over the phone/online to be similar to what I would find in the store.
    Similarly, I do not expect the locksmith to sell his Magnum thumb-turn lock at ~ £19 (as offered on ebay, which for the sake of argument we will use this as "wholesale price"). If we take the £19 Magnum thumb-turn as market price, then obviously a mark up to ~£120 would infuriate anyone. As once again, unfortunately, I did not have a gauge as to how much locks costs at that moment in time.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 8,689 Posts
    • 9,752 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    . However, in the event that I ring a supermarket up/go on their website, and ask for the price of the product, I expect the price quoted to me over the phone/online to be similar to what I would find in the store.
    You are comparing apples to oranges here.
    Yes, a supermarket may quote a price that reflects that which it is being sold for online and in the store but this will be because it is Tesco online and Tesco in the high street, therefore both part of the same company and in all likelihood the online/store prices will be very similar.
    I bet if you were to phone up Tesco and ask them how much they pay their suppliers for a certain item, they would refuse to tell you.

Provided that a retailer or tradesman advises a customer of the price of an item before that customer agrees to purchase it, then legally they have done nothing wrong.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 14th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    naedanger
    But the OP was told the price in advance:
    The op has also repeatedly said the opposite e.g. see the exchange in post 2 and 3.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 8,689 Posts
    • 9,752 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The op has also repeatedly said the opposite e.g. see the exchange in post 2 and 3.
    The way I read it is that post 2 simply states that they agreed the price of £59 for labour and in their next post they clearly state that they were given the full price inclusive of parts and labour and agreed to it:

Unfortunately, this is my very first experience with locks and dealing with locksmiths in general. That being said, he might have sensed that I was very naive and would accept whatever price he gave to me. This is why I accepted it without challenging the exorbitant fee at £255. I understand this is poor on my part, and have definitely learnt from it!
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 14th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    naedanger
    The way I read it is that post 2 simply states that they agreed the price of £59 for labour and in their next post they clearly state that they were given the full price and agreed to it:
    Perhaps. To me there was ambiguity which I have tried to get the op to remove. In post 16 I specifically asked:

Did the locksmith quote (in pounds) how much extra you would have to pay over the original £59 before proceeding with the work?

After the answer, which started with "no" it still seemed ambiguous and contradictory.
    Last edited by naedanger; 14-10-2016 at 3:28 PM.
    • Emily2005
    • By Emily2005 14th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Emily2005
    Perhaps. To me there was ambiguity which I have tried to get the op to remove. In post 12 I specifically asked:

Did the locksmith quote (in pounds) how much extra you would have to pay over the original £59 before proceeding with the work?

After the answer, which started with "no" it still seemed ambiguous and contradictory.
    Ok sorry, does sound very confusing. I'll order the events.

1. Housemate rings locksmith, enquires for price. Price quoted to her over the phone is £59 for labour and any additional fees for new lock.
    2. Locksmith technician arrives. Clarifies with me that I am aware of the £59 labour fee, plus any additional extra for the lock. I said yes. Did not specify how much more for new lock before beginning inspection.
    3. Technician decides that we need a new lock. Removes broken lock from door, explains what happened with they key. Tells me I will need to change my lock, I said ok. Did not specify how much more for new lock. He heads back to (I presume) his van to bring a selection of locks up.
    4. When he comes back, he has 3 different types of locks with him. He tells me their prices.
    5. I pick one, he fits it. I pay, he leaves.
    6. Housemates finally reply and said I had been overcharged.
    7. I called in to ask about most expensive thumb-turn lock and find out it is much less than charged to me.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    DoaM
    tl;dr ... you were grossly overcharged, but are in a very weak position because you were advised of the prices prior to work commencing.

All you can hope for is a goodwill gesture, perhaps under the threat of negative commentary on review sites regarding their business practices.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • smithjacknew
    • By smithjacknew 23rd Nov 16, 8:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    smithjacknew
    You better be careful next time while choosing a locksmith for any lock-keys issue.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 23rd Nov 16, 8:53 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    DoaM
    Stuff
    Originally posted by smithjacknew
    New poster resurrects an old thread with pointless commentary - spammer in the making?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 23rd Nov 16, 9:01 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 7,364 Thanks
    LilElvis
    New poster resurrects an old thread with pointless commentary - spammer in the making?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Well he's hardly likely to drum up any extra business for himself as I very much doubt that anyone here is likely to need a locksmith in California. A return airfare from LAX might make him a tad uncompetitive
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 23rd Nov 16, 9:17 AM
    • 853 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Great thread as a warning to people though. I'd add some food for thought. The price selling a barrel over the counter is always going to be less than van stock. It's not made clear for those who don't know but there are a fair variety of sizes for euro cylinders, the thumb turn option, brass or stainless, British standard or budget, - the guy has to buy, stock and carry all these. That's in addition to night latch and mortice locks which again have a huge variation. Then rimlocks, padlocks, cabinet locks, safes ...

You aren't ever going to get a trained locksmith to call at your premises and carry out a repair while charging retail price for the parts.

I do agree the price was high, but the OP agreed to it so I'd say chalk it down to experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,968Posts Today

6,109Users online

Martin's Twitter