Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mortgage Moog
    • By Mortgage Moog 13th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 140Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Mortgage Moog
    How long did you/will you spend in your first home?
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    How long did you/will you spend in your first home? 13th Oct 16 at 12:20 PM
    Having recently bought my first home I find there's an interesting split between people who buy cheap to move on within a few months/years and those that aim high to get the place they want right from the start.

How long did you spend in your first property? Has anyone moved on to their second and regretted leaving the first? I'd be interested to hear everyone's stories.
Page 2
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 13th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    3.5 years. Should be out of it in about 6-8 weeks.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 13th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    mattk_180
    Just about to move in to mine and my partners first home. 2 bed terrace but love the house.

Decided to pay extra for one we would be happy to live in for a long time rather than settle for less just to get on the ladder. Therefore plan on staying for a very long time.

No plan at the moment for children so I imagine we will only move once we have considerable equity which allows us to upgrade to a bigger non-terraced home.
    • Tewdric
    • By Tewdric 13th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tewdric
    OH and I brought our first house in April 2007. Whooops! It was a 2 bed terraced and was the nicest 'starter home' we could sensibly afford in the area we live in.

We were there for 9 years in total. We'd outgrown it after about 6 and a 1/2 years- but although we talked about moving on we didn't make any serious effort to actually do anything about it (like getting estate agents in to value it etc) until last December.

We're now living 7 miles down the road in a lovely 2 bed detached property with a bigger garden and a proper drive.

After the horrendous, horrendous nearly disastrous time we had with solicitors and estate agents during over our move I don't think we'll ever want to do it again!!!!! I intend to stay where we are for a long as we possibly can!
    • old_hat
    • By old_hat 13th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    old_hat
    9 years in January. Desperate to move and now with a joint 100k income but unable to move.

Bought flat with 10% deposit (joint income was about 40k then) - really beautiful place and were FTB - both parents rent so were not to know the problems of trying to sell a property above a commercial property in the future (first to buy in family).

Just fell in love with the place. anyway, fast forward 8 years and want to move to a house and from a pure market forces case the flat is sellable with 25 offers. But the problem is that banks will not provide a mortgage above it (but they did for us)

We were given a mortgage for the property with minimal deposit but the same bank now refuses to lend to new buyers to replace us. One of our buyers asked why they had been refused. The bank said it was due to what the surveyor said. The surveyor said it was because of the banks rules!

The same bank have allowed us to re mortgage on the property (if it is so risky, why?!). But the rules have changed

We have had cash buyers but they have changed mind as they have found elsewhere, had poor solicitors who looked at something on the lease and had a prob with it then advised to pull out (had they actually done the work our solicitor had the paperwork).

Still on market and are taking a drop but it is so depressing because it means we may not have a good deposit for a normal 3 bed in our area.

People we know who lived in a small bog standard flat who bought for less than us have now moved on with a good deposit and due to the rule changes ours is significantly cheaper now than the others in the area.

Fingers crossed we can finally get rid. The whole process of the last 14 months has not been good for either our health, so next time we buy it will be carefully chosen!!
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 13th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 5,953 Thanks
    poddle911
    That sounds stressful Old Hat, fingers crossed!

We bought our first property - a one bed flat in Brighton - in 2008 (terrible timing, and I was made redundant six months later) and planned to stay for 2-3 years, but ended up there for over 6 years. Loved it, just could have done with an extra room! Our second property is a 3/4 bedroom terrace and we don't know how long we'll stay. We don't love it, but feel like we need to stay a while to make the horrendous stamp duty worthwhile
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Ah yes the stamp duty, ours was £10,000
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    teddysmum
    We bought this house, new, 44 years next month and are not likely to move anywhere, now....except the dreaded care home.

It's a 3 bed semi and we had meant to upgrade to a nice detached, at some stage, but life doesn't always turn out as you would hope.

About 12 near neighbours, that we know about, have been here for as long or even longer.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 13-10-2016 at 3:49 PM.
    • Mortgage Moog
    • By Mortgage Moog 13th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Mortgage Moog
    Three years in my first house. I would have stayed but I needed to leave the area for work and personal reasons. I bought a flat, which I've been in my current flat a year and hate, so I have thrown in the towel and am moving again in November, to what I hope will be my forever home.
    Originally posted by Bossypants
    Why do you hate your current flat?
    • Mortgage Moog
    • By Mortgage Moog 13th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Mortgage Moog
    I have just bought a 2 bed house and like others am planning to move in probably around five years. But depends on factors like children and money. We will definitely move at some point if all goes to plan. And will probably wait at least five years to build up enough equity - especially with getting a help to buy loan to help borrow enough to be able to borrow (despite a sizeable deposit). I would hope that the next house is a 10-15-20 year house if not a forever house, but not sure that will be possibly. Though five years is a long time!
    Originally posted by lcfcstephen
    I bet those 5 years will fly by. I remember moving into my second rented flat 5 years ago because we had a terrible winter and I was snowed in for weeks. It seems like yesterday!
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 13th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    In my house its me, partner and 2 year old son

Me and partner both jostle for the bathroom in the morning to get ready for work now, so when our son is a teenager/adult it'll be 3 people fighting for one bathroom
    Originally posted by chelseablue
    Yes, you need at least another toilet, if not an ensuite if you have a family. I am amazed by the number of houses which have 3 large bedrooms but only one bathroom which also contains the only toilet.
    • Mortgage Moog
    • By Mortgage Moog 13th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Mortgage Moog
    9 years in January. Desperate to move and now with a joint 100k income but unable to move.

Bought flat with 10% deposit (joint income was about 40k then) - really beautiful place and were FTB - both parents rent so were not to know the problems of trying to sell a property above a commercial property in the future (first to buy in family).

Just fell in love with the place. anyway, fast forward 8 years and want to move to a house and from a pure market forces case the flat is sellable with 25 offers. But the problem is that banks will not provide a mortgage above it (but they did for us)

We were given a mortgage for the property with minimal deposit but the same bank now refuses to lend to new buyers to replace us. One of our buyers asked why they had been refused. The bank said it was due to what the surveyor said. The surveyor said it was because of the banks rules!

The same bank have allowed us to re mortgage on the property (if it is so risky, why?!). But the rules have changed

We have had cash buyers but they have changed mind as they have found elsewhere, had poor solicitors who looked at something on the lease and had a prob with it then advised to pull out (had they actually done the work our solicitor had the paperwork).

Still on market and are taking a drop but it is so depressing because it means we may not have a good deposit for a normal 3 bed in our area.

People we know who lived in a small bog standard flat who bought for less than us have now moved on with a good deposit and due to the rule changes ours is significantly cheaper now than the others in the area.

Fingers crossed we can finally get rid. The whole process of the last 14 months has not been good for either our health, so next time we buy it will be carefully chosen!!
    Originally posted by old_hat
    I remember finding out a few months back that you can't get a mortgage on a property above commercial property. Did you know you also can't mortgage any property with more than one kitchen? Not sure why but I remember reading that. I think it's something to do with two kitchen properties being classed as commercial.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story.
    Last edited by Mortgage Moog; 13-10-2016 at 4:11 PM.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 13th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    skimper
    I bought my first flat & lived there for 2 years, bought it because I was single & young 20's and wanted to feel safe. Met my fiance & we now have a house which we have been in 7 months. We feel like it could be our forever home but who knows.

It's a 3 bed detached with a garage and large utility room, with room to build another room above the garage if need be.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 13th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    We had our first house for about 7 years, the first three doing it up, we had to move because hubby changed his job. First house was a 1930s 3 bed semi in a fairly expensive are second was a 3 bed detached bungalow on the south coast.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 13th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    Bossypants
    Why do you hate your current flat?
    Originally posted by Mortgage Moog
    In a nutshell, it's extremely noisy in a 'people-noise' way. You can hear conversations, people moving around, etc, and it never stops. It basically sounds like I'm living with 3 or 4 other people who are probably perfectly nice, but I don't know them and they are constantly around, and as a major introvert, that really sets my nerves on edge.

I've done all I can to minimise the noise, but I've come to accept that it's just a fact of the building (it was empty back when I bought my flat, so I didn't notice anything amiss back then). I've lived in enough different places (including flats) over the years to know that I'm never going to settle in this place, so I've just decided to bite the bullet and go.
    Mortgage Overpayment Aim - £20,000 in 2016
    Progress: £1/20,000
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 13th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We lived in our first home for just short of 15 years. We had no intention of moving as we had 3 bedrooms, drive and a garden and loved the area we lived in The only thing we really needed was a bigger 3rd bedroom. We happened to see a house go up for sale down the road and after viewing it decided to put ours on the market. We've been here about 5 months now and love the house, the extra space and having a garage!
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 13th Oct 16, 4:12 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    How long did you spend in your first property?
    Originally posted by Mortgage Moog
    We spent 10 years in our first house, a "two up, two down" terrace. A real doer-upper, there was no double glazing, no carpets, no central heating and in fact not even an oven to start with - for the first year we "cooked" with a microwave I bought second hand from a local charity shop. Those were the days!

Amazon Prime Customer?
    Don't forget to cancel your automatic renewal unless you are happy with the price hike to £79 a year!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 9,494 Posts
    • 21,104 Thanks
    suki1964
    Our first house was a 2 up 2 down mid terrace, a complete doer upper

9 years later we bought our forever home, five bedroom, 3 receptions, 3 bathroom detached in the middle of a field

Next place will be the two bedroom bungalow near a town, not for a few years yet hopefully
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    chelseablue
    We spent 10 years in our first house, a "two up, two down" terrace. A real doer-upper, there was no double glazing, no carpets, no central heating and in fact not even an oven to start with - for the first year we "cooked" with a microwave I bought second hand from a local charity shop. Those were the days!
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    Our first house was a 2 up 2 down mid terrace, a complete doer upper

9 years later we bought our forever home, five bedroom, 3 receptions, 3 bathroom detached in the middle of a field

Next place will be the two bedroom bungalow near a town, not for a few years yet hopefully
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Are you 2 married?
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    • old_hat
    • By old_hat 13th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    old_hat
    13th Oct 16, 2:57 PM

Originally posted by old_hat
    ”I remember finding out a few months back that you can't get a mortgage on a property above commercial property. Did you know you also can't mortgage any property with more than one kitchen? Not sure why but I remember reading that. I think it's something to do with two kitchen properties being classed as commercial.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story.

Thanks Mortgage Moog - It has been the most stressful time and everything to go against us has. Lucky to be in a strong relationship.
    • old_hat
    • By old_hat 13th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    old_hat
    How do you quote the previous post? lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,113Users online

Martin's Twitter