Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 959Posts
    • 649Thanks
    ellie27
    Room rearranging, any ideas welcome. Full floorplans included in thread!
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    Room rearranging, any ideas welcome. Full floorplans included in thread! 13th Oct 16 at 12:13 PM
    Below is a link to my house plan I have quickly made up (ground floor only, we have 3 bedrooms up the stairs)

We want a kitchen/diner with doors onto back garden (basically doors will be along back of kitchen where hob is in the pic)

Makes sense we knock through wall between dining room and kitchen and open up into the 'storage' cupboard too. Would this give us enough room?

Only thing is....... those stairs to get up to the bedrooms, stairs are in the dining room...... the bottom of stair starts at the bottom right corner of the dining room, top of stairs being directly above door into dining room.

Ideally I would want my stairs blocked off and not lead directly into my kitchen/diner but don't think there are may options..... my hallway above the stairs is pretty much just 1 square metre of floor with 3 doorways off - the smallest hall you can get!

I would be up for reconfiguring downstairs.

The 2 downstairs bedrooms are currently not used, just spare rooms.

There is a single garage, The dimensions of that on the plan are not accurate but probably not far off.

Thoughts recently have been....... convert garage and extend a bit at front to allow it to open into that back bedroom to create an L-shape, with glass doors on both back walls of the L onto back terrace.

We are going to get in touch with an architect this week to hope start the ball rolling but just thought I would put on here for any suggestions.

Many thanks!

https://planner5d.com/view/?key=a8a1a5cf6408e4ff6fa9f7694b76710c
    Last edited by ellie27; 13-10-2016 at 9:24 PM.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 26,263 Posts
    • 15,800 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    Is that the only bathroom?

could have access to upstairs through the guest room
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    I'm not going to comment on all of your plans, as I'm not an architect - but, as a woman, you really need to block off the stairs from the kitchen/dining area to prevent cooking smells from floating into all the bedrooms!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 26,263 Posts
    • 15,800 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    Thoughts recently have been....... convert garage and extend a bit at front to allow it to open into that back bedroom to create an L-shape, with glass doors on both back walls of the L onto back terrace
    Originally posted by ellie27
    One house we looked at years ago had a corner door that opened out rather than 2 sets of doors.
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    Is that the only bathroom?

could have access to upstairs through the guest room
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    We have 2 ensuites upstairs.

Yes, we considered redirecting stairs down into the front bedroom but thought it would ruin the room a bit as its a lovely bay windowed room....
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    I'm not going to comment on all of your plans, as I'm not an architect - but, as a woman, you really need to block off the stairs from the kitchen/dining area to prevent cooking smells from floating into all the bedrooms!
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    My thoughts too!
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    We could block off the stairway completely at the bottom with wall/door. However you would still need to go through the kitchen/diner to get to the door opening to stairs to get up to bedrooms.

Would that be a bit weird? Guess its not any weirder than current situation!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,087 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    Can't really work properly without an upstairs plan! I'd like to see if turning the stairs is a feasible option.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    http://media.rightmove.co.uk/60k/59084/27985005/59084_212433_FLP_00_0000_max_600x600.jpg

Downstairs is accurate, upstairs is round the wrong way (to me!!)

When you arrive at the topstep upstairs Bed 1 is on your left, so bed 1 is directly above the lounge. 'Bed 5 and Bed 2' are directly on top of the dining room.

The stairs in the dining room....... the bottom step of the stairs start at the the window in the dining room (not in the middle of the wall in the dining room as it looks in the plan)
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    Full floor plans in post 9 above!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,087 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    My first thought would be to shift the door of the guest room towards the front door and have the stairs starting somewhere near where the door is presently, then turning fully so the stairs still come up exactly where they do now.

Needs a joiner more than an architect.

I don't think you need an extension of any kind.

The stairs are very strange at present.
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    My first thought would be to shift the door of the guest room towards the front door and have the stairs starting somewhere near where the door is presently, then turning fully so the stairs still come up exactly where they do now.

Needs a joiner more than an architect.

I don't think you need an extension of any kind.

The stairs are very strange at present.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    If I am thinking they way you are..... that would take quite a bit of room off that front room though? Making the room a bit out of proportion with the big bay window?
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 13th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    I don't really see the point of considering an extension when you already have 2 large downstairs rooms spare.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,087 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It will take a chunk off it, not the whole way across. It's really about what you want from the house and what sort of budget you have. It isn't conventional and arguably devalued by the current position of the stairs.

How old is the house? What is the original floorplan of it? The upstairs landing isn't nice at all for a house of that size.

We have had a house with an open hallway before - essentially using a room. The 'guest room' could be opened up completely to the existing hall, the existing hallway reorganised/made smaller to use space better - enter kitchen/diner through guest room (new hallway), square off the lounge, and extend that new wall to make bedroom into a proper ensuite. Use cupboard as a downstairs loo to replace bathroom.

Use 'guest room' then as an entrance hall with study area or seating. You could even make the dining room bigger, stealing off the new hall. Of course it would very much change the proportion of the 'guest room' but a large hall with a beautiful window would be unusual but a lovely feature,

It makes some sense of having bedrooms downstairs. I do believe that if you have downstairs bedrooms, they should be contained in one area or very much ensuite - otherwise you're just renaming an excess of reception rooms.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 13-10-2016 at 9:56 PM.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 13th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    Is the ensuite over the dining room?
    Any photos of the house from outside?
    What's the budget you have?
    I would look at turning the stairs to a u shape, sacrificing a bit off bedroom 3 but depends on the clearances and structural issues, that would allow you to move the kitchen into the dining room and open up the back wall of the kitchen into the garden...
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    House built 1930's, a bungalow with conversion. The current kitchen is actually an extension.

The ensuite of Bed 1 is above the front Bed 3.

The upstairs landing is basically a 1sqm with 3 doors off it. I guess that way there was more space for rooms. Some folk would say its the best use of space. I like it and wouldnt want to change upstairs to create a bigger hall.
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27985005.html
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Oct 16, 10:24 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,087 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    House built 1930's, a bungalow with conversion. The current kitchen is actually an extension.

The ensuite of Bed 1 is above the front Bed 3.

The upstairs landing is basically a 1sqm with 3 doors off it. I guess that way there was more space for rooms. Some folk would say its the best use of space. I like it and wouldnt want to change upstairs to create a bigger hall.
    Originally posted by ellie27
    Haven't suggested changing upstairs at all. I'd have said how upstairs would be affected if I were making suggestion. Stairs can change direction at any point, so can come in from almost any direction to meet the current arrangement at the top. It just becomes a bulkhead in the dining room. Makes sense for the doorway to be next to it in the least usable area.

Can you see what I've suggested downstairs?

I thought it might be a bungalow. Developed to use every inch of space.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 13-10-2016 at 10:29 PM.
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 14th Oct 16, 8:25 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    Haven't suggested changing upstairs at all. I'd have said how upstairs would be affected if I were making suggestion. Stairs can change direction at any point, so can come in from almost any direction to meet the current arrangement at the top. It just becomes a bulkhead in the dining room. Makes sense for the doorway to be next to it in the least usable area.

Can you see what I've suggested downstairs?

I thought it might be a bungalow. Developed to use every inch of space.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Yes, know what you mean by bringing the stairs down through the front bedroom. I am not sure of the rearranging the front room to turn it into a grand hall.....

Great for the suggestions though....keep them coming if you can!
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 14th Oct 16, 7:49 PM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 3,813 Thanks
    prosaver
    i wouldnt have the toilet near my bedroom and the other room should face the back garden with patio doors going to decking outside and the kitchen more indoors with extracting fan.
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter