Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amalis
    • By amalis 13th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 499Posts
    • 213Thanks
    amalis
    Fence ,gates and bad neighbour
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    Fence ,gates and bad neighbour 13th Oct 16 at 12:06 PM
    Hi,
    I hope this is the right place to ask. We have replaced our old rotting fence and for some reason decided to make a small gates. I was against, but it looks nice. Now, on the other side is a large industrial estate. The gates are opening into our garden, but we always keep it locked and never planned to go out, although there are lots of trading companies and many people on the estate always. Now the manager of the industrial estate wrote us a letter that we gained unauthorised access and gives us 7 days to remove the gates I am very upset. What can I do about it? He also said that there were people and children coming out of our gates ,but that is not true.
Page 1
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 13th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    Hi,
    I hope this is the right place to ask. We have replaced our old rotting fence and for some reason decided to make a small gates. I was against, but it looks nice. Now, on the other side is a large industrial estate. The gates are opening into our garden, but we always keep it locked and never planned to go out, although there are lots of trading companies and many people on the estate always. Now the manager of the industrial estate wrote us a letter that we gained unauthorised access and gives us 7 days to remove the gates I am very upset. What can I do about it? He also said that there were people and children coming out of our gates ,but that is not true.
    Originally posted by amalis

Do you often do pointless things without knowing why?
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 13th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    Remove the gates and continue with the fence. It was a ridiculous idea in the first place.
    Pants
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 30,277 Posts
    • 35,825 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    its their land and you don't have authority to access it , I'm sure you would be annoyed if they did it the opposite way and accessed your garden
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    giraffe69
    You say for "some reason" but what is the reason? It is a reasonable presumption that if you have a gate then at some point you will use it and go on to the estate. 7 days to remove it is a bit severe but I am sure if you showed willing and said it would be done in a month that would be the end of it.
    I worked in a school with extensive grounds. A neighbour had a back gate in their fence so they could picnic/sunbathe on the playing field in holidays. They were very cross when told they had to remove it but they were using it to trespass.

I don't agree with the title of this thread. They are not being bad neighbours. You are.
    • amalis
    • By amalis 13th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    amalis
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    well, I suppose the reason behind was in case one day we will need to get a big piece of furniture in the house. The access to industrial estate during working hours is not restricted for public
    • amalis
    • By amalis 13th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    amalis
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    I would of course never ever think of gates going to private house, but as I said its an industrial estate which is not restricted to public during working hours.
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 13th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 12,027 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    The access to industrial estate during working hours is not restricted
    But for the estate's use and convenience not yours.
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 13th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    well, I suppose the reason behind was in case one day we will need to get a big piece of furniture in the house. The access to industrial estate during working hours is not restricted for public

I think you'll find it is.
    • amalis
    • By amalis 13th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    amalis
    No, there are lots of shops ,warehouses selling things and they have customers in and out
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 13th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 4,659 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Write back and tell them the gates are purely ornamental blah blah blah and do not open and then, if you really want to, put a couple of screws in it to make sure it can't be opened.

Or at least that's what I would do.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 13th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    No, there are lots of shops ,warehouses selling things and they have customers in and out
    You don't get it do you?
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 13th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    For business purposes - they aren't just wandering around for the sake of it. It's not an open-access recreation area.
    • amalis
    • By amalis 13th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    amalis
    Write back and tell them the gates are purely ornamental blah blah blah and do not open and then, if you really want to, put a couple of screws in it to make sure it can't be opened.

Or at least that's what I would do.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit

Thanks! I was hoping this could be a solution. Really don't have money now to do it.
    The problem is that he says there were children coming out of my gates, which is not true I have a son, but he is 1 y.o. and I had no friends visiting or going anywhere or being in the gar
    den at all. Have you seen the weather? :-)
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 13th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    Thanks! I was hoping this could be a solution. Really don't have money now to do it.
    The problem is that he says there were children coming out of my gates, which is not true I have a son, but he is 1 y.o. and I had no friends visiting or going anywhere or being in the gar
    den at all. Have you seen the weather? :-)
    Yes, perfectly acceptable to be outside, the suns out.
    • foomanchu
    • By foomanchu 13th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    foomanchu
    They don't want it to become an established right of way, which in 10 years time you might argue it is, preventing them building up to their boundary in future. They probably won't drop the issue.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 8,715 Posts
    • 9,777 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I don't know if it would help but it might be worth replying to the estate manager informing them that the gate will remain locked and will only be used for 1 of 2 reasons.
    For exiting the property in the event of an emergency (house fire etc) or
    for getting large items into or out of the property and you will contact the manager prior to this happening to get permission.

As it stands, a locked gate is no different to a solid fence as it is simply a barrier between two areas of land and as it opens into your land and not onto the estate there is no trespass and unless your deeds state otherwise, there is probably no requirement to have a fence at all.

In order to be legally classed as an established right of way (claiming a right of way by prescription), it must have been in use for a minimum of 20 years. It might be worth finding out if it is possible for you to legally waive your right to apply for this by signing a declaration stating that you won't be applying for this in the future and send a copy to the estate manager.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 13th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    Grenage
    If a neighbour decided to replace a fence panel between our gardens with a gate, I'd also be pretty irritated. I wouldn't drop the issue, regardless of being told that it's "bolted" or "locked".

To be frank, the entire plan seems like sheer lunacy.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 13th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 10,585 Thanks
    Money maker
    He also said that there were people and children coming out of our gates ,but that is not true.
    I find it very strange that you aren't concerned that people have been using the gates to trespass on your property. Are you not worried about strangers in your garden or do you know something you don't care to admit?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • amalis
    • By amalis 13th Oct 16, 2:17 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    amalis
    I find it very strange that you aren't concerned that people have been using the gates to trespass on your property. Are you not worried about strangers in your garden or do you know something you don't care to admit?
    Originally posted by Money maker

as I said, it is not true
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,364Posts Today

6,013Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin