Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 2,360Posts
    • 1,704Thanks
    dekaspace
    Dodgy floorboards due to leak?
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    Dodgy floorboards due to leak? 13th Oct 16 at 12:05 PM
    Have had a few threads open recently about leaks to property and getting them repaired.

Was in bathroom last night and felt floorboard crack under my foot and looking at area around it (it has lino around it) its now uneven where I heard the crack.

If I push the area with my foot it feels weak/ like theres a lot of slack but not weak enough that if I stand on it then it will collapse.

Contacted LL who just said its old not to worry (even though I had a flood recently and ceiling collapsed)

I am a heavy guy so don't want to go through the floorboards!

Im in Scotland

Whats next steps? LL just says I am waiting for my bathroom to get painted anyway so ask the handyman then (who is provided by another LL so not sure when they will come round)
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 37,092 Posts
    • 41,049 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    Need history before advising. Link? Better still, stick to original thread.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    Need history before advising. Link? Better still, stick to original thread.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Whenever I update original thread people ignore it, but will mention.

I lived here 2 years, only had a few drips here and then till recently when had a 10 day constant leak from upstairs toilet that collapsed bathroom ceiling, the leak was stopped (hate to say fixed as that LL always claims to have repaired things they haven't actually done)

The previous tenants before me had an even bigger flood that meant whole property had to be recarpeted and repainted.

And the ones before that had to get a new bathroom ceiling.

So that means at least 3 big floods in around 4 years and I know with mine most of the ceiling came down right where the floorboard is now weak.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    Was in bathroom last night and felt floorboard crack under my foot and looking at area around it (it has lino around it) its now uneven where I heard the crack.

If I push the area with my foot it feels weak/ like theres a lot of slack but not weak enough that if I stand on it then it will collapse.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    It's hard to say based on the info you provide... but here's my guess:

Lino (or vinyl flooring, as us Sassenachs like to call it) isn't usually laid directly onto floorboards. Usually the floor boards are covered with a layer of plywood first.

If plywood gets wet it can delaminate, swell and warp (especially if it is a cheaper grade). The cracking you heard would just be the top thin layer of the warped plywood. There'll be many more layers within the plywood - and then the floorboards and joists underneath that.

The plywood isn't structural. The floorboards and joists would have to be very rotten indeed to fail.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 13th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    anselld
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    As far as I remember the previous threads concerned leaks in your ceiling and to a certain amount affecting the top of the walls.

This seems unlikely to be connected.

The advice with all these repairs is to report them in writing at the address for serving notices.

I suspect the reason some of your other threads don't get further responses is because you have not followed up the initial advice. Repeating the question is not usually going to get a different answer.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    As far as I remember the previous threads concerned leaks in your ceiling and to a certain amount affecting the top of the walls.

This seems unlikely to be connected.

The advice with all these repairs is to report them in writing at the address for serving notices.

I suspect the reason some of your other threads don't get further responses is because you have not followed up the initial advice. Repeating the question is not usually going to get a different answer.
    Originally posted by anselld
    Imagine how frustrated that makes me feel when I did follow "advice" or when what was stated was what I either already did before asking or be pretty much told I should of never let it get to that point.

So I never ignored the "advice" and didn't repeat question I often started a new question linked to a old question i.e I ask about what to do and get told something, I either mention I already did that and got nowhere or then did it and got nowhere, then situation worsens causing something else to happen so I ask a new question and am told why didn't I do things already mentioned (which I did but got nowhere) or if I used the original thread people look at the OP and respond to that and not the updates.

The only advice I didn't follow through on (which I already knew about before even the 1st thread) was the PRHP because I was giving LL chance to repair things before taking it further, a few times I was on the point of doing so when LL made promises

Even EH and Shelter told me to wait to take things further.

I don't know if you read the previous thread but the ceiling totally collapsed and police and fire brigade had to get involved, the damage cracked toilet seat, cracked shower and the majority of rubble was where the dodgy floorboards are now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

2,213Users online

Martin's Twitter