Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 13th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 358Posts
    • 33Thanks
    ktcoil
    New nintendo nx or Sega mega drive
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    New nintendo nx or Sega mega drive 13th Oct 16 at 11:02 AM
    Hi guys

Noticed that these are both getting released before Christmas, which would you say is best for a present for people in there early 30's?

thanks
Page 1
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 13th Oct 16, 1:24 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:24 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:24 PM
    The Nintendo NX is likely to get announced before Christmas but it's not being launched until next year (around Easter 2017 is the current guess) and there's no official details yet nor any games shown for it so it's almost a complete unknown.

The Sega Mega Drive is a very old 90's 16-bit console so I'm assuming that's not what you meant, Microsoft and Sony are both releasing separate slimmed down models of their consoles and also upgraded versions with the Xbox One S, the Xbox One Scorpio, the PS4 Slim and the PS4 Pro.

The Xbox One S is a slimmed down version of the existing Xbox and very similar in capability aside from offering HDR and blu-ray 4K playback. The more powerful Scorpio isn't out until at least next year and offers a lot more graphics capability for higher resolution gaming up to 4K.

The PS4 Slim is simply a slimmed down PS4 although unlike the Xbox One S, does not gain blu-ray 4K capability nor does the PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro should be out before the end of the year and offer higher resolution gaming but it's not as powerful as the Xbox One Scorpio and isn't powerful enough for 4K gaming, they claim it can but in reality it's running at a lower resolution and upscaling.

Which one to get is the eternal question although it will mostly come down to which exclusives the person prefers and which platform their friends have.

John
    • Diodiva
    • By Diodiva 13th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Diodiva
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    I was looking at smyths catalogue the other day and it's got the nes console and the megadrive 2 console, both preloaded the one i was more tempted by was the megadrive as it allows you to play old games cartridges if you still have them, so that way if your friends fav game isnt on there preloaded you could get hold of the cartridge on ebay and they can still use it.

I was a bit suprised they went for the NES not the SNES in terms of the nintendo version
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 13th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    I suspect the reason they went for the NES rather than the SNES is because they're probably still doing pretty well selling the SNES games on 3DS and Wii-U.

John
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 13th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 24,334 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    Unless they specifically ask for one of those you mention I would go for xb one or PS4. Even then I would fish for answers from them to get an idea which they prefer.
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 13th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    I'd suggest the NES - purely because I'm 31, and although I had both consoles (huge family, so owned by the many siblings) I preferred the NES.

as the previous posters have advised I would ask them.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 13th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    Unless they specifically ask for one of those you mention I would go for xb one or PS4. Even then I would fish for answers from them to get an idea which they prefer.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    They're looking for a retro games console. Not a new one.

They have re-released the NES and Mega Drive. Nothing to do with crappy Xbox/PS.

Oh and the re-releases are around £50. A PS4 is around £200, an Xbox one S is around £250. Massive difference.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 13th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 24,334 Posts
    • 12,824 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    They're looking for a retro games console. Not a new one.

They have re-released the NES and Mega Drive. Nothing to do with crappy Xbox/PS.

Oh and the re-releases are around £50. A PS4 is around £200, an Xbox one S is around £250. Massive difference.
    Originally posted by DomRavioli
    They didn't say specifically retro consoles and I believe they mentioned the Nintendo nx which is not a retro console. It is possible that they are someone not clued up on gaming and just happen to have seen those they mentioned advertised.
    • Lumstorm
    • By Lumstorm 14th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Lumstorm
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    Between the new NES and the MegaDrive I would say the NES as it is by Nintendo who do produce quality consoles and it has 30 games that are known to be good titles.

Where as the AT Games Megadrive has poor quality construction, poor sound, poor emulation and half of it's titles aren't even Megadrive games but poorly made games just to boost the amount of games on the box.
    • King_Nothing
    • By King_Nothing 14th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    King_Nothing
    I'd say go for the NES as mentioned above, infact I already have mine pre-ordered.

As for the NX, I've seen the clickbait articles stating it'll be out for Christmas, but given that there's been no actual marketing from Nintendo, I think it would be suicide for them to release it this early, that'll likely be next year.
    • mai_taylor
    • By mai_taylor 14th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    mai_taylor
    I'm 31 and I've put the Saga Mega Drive on my Christmas list, oh is 27 and he only ever played the SNES, probably best to ask them which one they had as a kid.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 1st Nov 16, 4:24 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 2,711 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    aminenirmo reported your
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 2nd Nov 16, 1:06 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    ktcoil
    I have noticed that the sega has alex the kid which was a great game I loved when younger.
    • Barbara Lowing
    • By Barbara Lowing 24th Nov 16, 8:27 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Barbara Lowing
    I was planning to get this as a gift for my oldest son who was a big Nintendo fan growing up. We always had nintendo at home. I know he has been on the reddit reading reviews about this. Maybe you should try going there? Either way, you cannot beat the low price for so any games connecting directly to the HD tv.

Good luck!

ps. We are getting the NX for Xmas.
    • Lumstorm
    • By Lumstorm 24th Nov 16, 1:59 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Lumstorm
    I was planning to get this as a gift for my oldest son who was a big Nintendo fan growing up. We always had nintendo at home. I know he has been on the reddit reading reviews about this. Maybe you should try going there? Either way, you cannot beat the low price for so any games connecting directly to the HD tv.

Good luck!

ps. We are getting the NX for Xmas.
    Originally posted by Barbara Lowing
    The NX now Nintendo Switch isn't coming out until march so you won't get one this Christmas and I bet they will be rare as the Mini Nes due to scalpers buying them to flip at three times the retail price.
    • Compo88
    • By Compo88 28th Nov 16, 11:13 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Compo88
    The Nes mini is a great Retro console. The graphics are basic but amazing game-play. Plus loads of classic games already installed on the console.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 30th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    I wouldn't recommend getting someone a retro console unless you know they want it - I've been gaming since I got my Atari ST in the 80's, and though seeing some of the old games brings back memories, I wouldn't actually want to play them any more - so dated.
    I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the Nintendo Switch will allow access to the Nintendo back catalogue, but I could be wrong - for fans of Nintendo stuff, it looks like it could make a similar impact as the Wii did in it's day, particularly as it combines being a tablet and plug in to TV console.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,844Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter