Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pioneer31
    • By pioneer31 13th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 303Posts
    • 15Thanks
    pioneer31
    Leaving BT - charges?
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    Leaving BT - charges? 13th Oct 16 at 11:00 AM
    I am thinking of leaving BT once my 12 mth contract is up.

I've heard somewhere that there are disconnection charges - is this true?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 30,245 Posts
    • 35,810 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    only if you cease broadband , if you migrate to Sky/TalkTalk/PlusNet etc via the switching service then no
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • pioneer31
    • By pioneer31 13th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    pioneer31
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    only if you cease broadband , if you migrate to Sky/TalkTalk/PlusNet etc via the switching service then no
    Originally posted by Browntoa

I can't see it costs them anything to disconnect me but then they're in the money making business. Charges and costs bear no relation I guess.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 30,245 Posts
    • 35,810 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    its a chargeable Openreach charge , applies to all suppliers if you cease , Ofcom approved years ago

its waived if you switch I assume as it may not involve a BT visit
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 13th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Gambler
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    I assume they don't refund the monthly charges you pay in advance?

I would have stayed but their retention deals this time around are awful.
    • Weisenwolf
    • By Weisenwolf 13th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Weisenwolf
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    Just cancel the DD
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Gambler
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    Just cancel the DD
    Originally posted by Weisenwolf

Already taken. I'll move in the next few days so transfer should coincide with the billing period.

Just can't decide, Vodafone or Sky.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    See the Vodafone posts first .
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 3,424 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    Just cancel the DD
    Originally posted by Weisenwolf
    This is not a good idea until the final bill is sorted.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    iniltous
    I can't see it costs them anything to disconnect me but then they're in the money making business. Charges and costs bear no relation I guess.
    Originally posted by pioneer31
    Openreach send an engineer to the exchange to disconnect your line from the broadband equipment and restore it to an ordinary exchange line, ( working or stopped line, depending if you are keeping telephony or ceasing both services), they also amend records so all providers can see the 'new' status of the line to the property, incase a new service is needed in the future.
    This work benefits the broadband provider that you are disconnecting from, ( it frees up their broadband equipment) it obviously costs OR time, effort and money in engineer wages, fuel for van etc, etc ) to do this task, so why would they do it for free ? they charge the internet service provider , the ISP normally passes the charge onto their soon to be ex customer,
    You may think £30 is a lot for the amount of work involved, but it's all relative, what does a plumber charge for a five minute job ?, more than £30 I bet , don't confuse BT consumer and Openreach, you don't pay OR anything directly, but OR charge BT , same as they charge Sky or Talk Talk etc
    If you move provider rather than just cease your broadband, this charge doesn't apply, as the work is done by default when the new ISP is connected
    Last edited by iniltous; 13-10-2016 at 5:14 PM.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 13th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 7,924 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Buzby
    Originally posted by pioneer31
    BT are billed by Openreach - the termination cost is detailed in your contract for service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,597Posts Today

5,618Users online

Martin's Twitter