Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 13th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 27Thanks
    sortofwinning
    how long can I be on the sick
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    how long can I be on the sick 13th Oct 16 at 8:52 AM
    Hi, can someone tell me how long I can be off work with a sick line? I've just had another mental breakdown due to workplace bullying and am currently off on the sick. I was off for a total of about ten weeks last year, four around the end of August and about six in Oct - Nov. I do have a recognised disability as I have a mental health problem, but I've searched online and I can't get a straight answer as to how long I can be off before they dismiss me.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 13th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    YouAsked
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    Hi, can someone tell me how long I can be off work with a sick line? I've just had another mental breakdown due to workplace bullying and am currently off on the sick. I was off for a total of about ten weeks last year, four around the end of August and about six in Oct - Nov. I do have a recognised disability as I have a mental health problem, but I've searched online and I can't get a straight answer as to how long I can be off before they dismiss me.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by sortofwinning
    Your company will have it's own policy - some are more generous than others. Even with a recognised disability you can be dismissed but you really need to get hold of your company's policy and see what it says - it might be more generous than you think.

I know you might not be up to thinking about it right now but at some point you do need to think about long term and where you see yourself - can you see the situation at work getting better? What would be required to make the situation better and how likely is that to happen?

Take care.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 13th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 1,776 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    There is no simple answer to this.

To be blunt some companies would have been taking steps towards a capability (i.e sickness) dismissal before now.

Equally some other types of organisations still have "generous" sickness policies sometimes with up to six months full pay and six months half pay for established employees.

If (and I repeat if) your condition amounts to a disability for employment law purposes then the firm are obliged to make reasonable adjustments. However these do not have to go anything like as far as many people fondly imagine. Again many firms actually do far more in this regard than the law actually requires.

Ultimately though long term sickness is not going to end well and if at all possible you need to find a manageable employment situation. There are organisations who can help with mental health issues and employment. The Richmond Fellowship is one and I am sure there are others.
    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 13th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    sortofwinning
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    Thanks very much for your help folks
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    If nothing is going to change, is it worth staying with the employer? You have to go back sometime, don't you. And just the stress of thinking exactly that isn't going to help. I thought I remembered you so I went back to your previous posts. Correct me if I am wrong, but realistically, you aren't going to do anything that will change this situation. For a variety of reasons you can't/won't take certain actions - that isn't a criticism, just what you stated previously as a fact. You said you wouldn't do anything that would mean having your mental health history laid open. And that doesn't seem avoidable. So why hang on?

That's a genuine question. Sometimes the only option is to cut and run. Don't you think that you may be at that point now, when it is damaging your health to this degree?
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 14th Oct 16, 1:07 AM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    Nicki
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:07 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:07 AM
    How did your recent interview go? Are you currently well enough to keep applying for jobs and attending interviews at the moment if you weren't offered that one?

Perhaps some more time away which you can spend looking for a new role is a blessing in disguise. And if your employer does decide to start capability proceedings at least you know you don't have to go back and face your workmates. You could also then on your cv reflect that you left that role due to ill health from which you are now recovered (when you are recovered) and stop worrying that they will give you a poor reference to keep you in the role
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin