Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 13th Oct 16, 5:49 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    purpleroad
    How much time do you need to spend filling in cash work on JSA
    • 13th Oct 16, 5:49 AM
    How much time do you need to spend filling in cash work on JSA 13th Oct 16 at 5:49 AM
    If you sometimes do odd jobs 'mowing lawns' etc £25/week and are on JSA contribution or means tested, is it a lot of hassle to fill out the forms to declare you're earning this?
Page 1
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 9,568 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    A lot less hassle then being investigated for fraud I'd say
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 13th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    TyreLever
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    A lot less hassle then being investigated for fraud I'd say
    Originally posted by suki1964
    But its also a lot more hassle than NOT getting caught for fraud. As is the way in business generally, you have to weigh up the risks and then make a decision based on that.

If you're being paid in cash for the odd job here and there, the risk would likely be small, especially if its only for mates and relatives. If you're doing it regularly and for any old Tom, !!!! or Barry, then word will be more likely to get back to the authorities.

EDIT: Why has a name been auto-censored?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    • 9,568 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    But its also a lot more hassle than NOT getting caught for fraud. As is the way in business generally, you have to weigh up the risks and then make a decision based on that.

If you're being paid in cash for the odd job here and there, the risk would likely be small, especially if its only for mates and relatives. If you're doing it regularly and for any old Tom, !!!! or Barry, then word will be more likely to get back to the authorities.

EDIT: Why has a name been auto-censored?
    Originally posted by TyreLever
    So you are condoning benefit fraud?
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 13th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    Leaving aside the defrauding of the benefit system, I think anything you do to show a prospective employer that you are prepared to expend your time doing something useful can only be good.

Even working a few days or the odd day in a charity shop impresses employers. When I had the responsibility of weeding out job applicants for my boss's consideration I certainly favoured people who actually did something productive with their time.
    • lesley74
    • By lesley74 13th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    lesley74
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    They might be keen to know if you are registered self employed as well. But yes, I think you should declare it, and also register as self employed for this work you are doing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

6,523Users online

Martin's Twitter