Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • POCall2
    • By POCall2 12th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    POCall2
    Main house sold abroad
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    Main house sold abroad 12th Oct 16 at 11:35 PM
    Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.
    I am from the uk and married my wife from South America. She had her own home there and left it to come and live with me in the uk. The house has been sat empty for 6 years as we have been living together here in rented accommodation. Another Brazilian friend who also lives in the UK offered to buy the house from her for her family back in Brazil for £26000. We plan to use that money to buy our first home here in the uk (deposit) I'm so confused about the capital gains tax and didn't even think about it. Would we need to pay tax on that? Especially as it was her main home. She does not yet have citizenship here but has indefinite leave to remain if that makes a difference.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by POCall2; 12-10-2016 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added further datail
Page 1
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 13th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    Did she make a PPR election?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter