Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 12th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 1,423Posts
    • 1,978Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Waste not want not
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    Waste not want not 12th Oct 16 at 10:38 PM
    What do you consider to be waste, and how do you avoid it?

I hate wasting food - I've just had to throw away a full, unused pot of potato salad because the weather turned cold, I was making stews instead of salads, and it got forgotten at the back of the fridge until it was well past its use-by date. I'm normally more vigilant than that!

And what about other things - gas and electric, water, time. How far do you go to avoid waste?
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 20,461 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    Great idea for a thread!

The constant area of waste in my life is electricity, I regularly fall asleep in front of the TV with the light on
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 13th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 12,020 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    How far do you go to avoid waste?
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    A long way! Most things go either in me, the dog, the compost bin, the woodburner or my local charity shop.

I was in a charity shop a couple of weeks ago and overheard two women muttering about how silly it was that a lovely quality, lined and padded curtain that had lost its pair should be put out for sale. I bought it for 50p, took off the rufflette tape, turned a hem and it's now a very nice lap rug.

Frugal isn't the same thing as tight-fisted by a long shot!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 55,990 Posts
    • 321,746 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    I have zero waste. I do this by thinking carefully about all food I buy. I have to know I'll eat it - and eat it all - and I look at everything I buy and think about what I've currently got to eat my way through before allowing myself to buy "new food".

I'd have eaten the potato salad, irrespective of the weather. You could've always served it alongside something hot, e.g. breaded fish, or fishcakes. It could even, at a push, have been mixed with more onion and baked as a hot side dish of potato/onion/mayo.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    The potato salad was slightly fizzy - so no, I wasn't prepared to eat it (it was a long way passed its use by date). But I was very cross with myself for letting it happen!

Today I've made breadcrumbs from bread crusts that we haven't eaten, and put them in the freezer - they will be used as a topping on days when I don't have time to make pastry or mash potatoes.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 6,357 Posts
    • 35,120 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    I plan meals around "rolling over" foods - so last Friday evenings sausages had 2 more in the pack than I needed, they were all grilled together and the remaining two made sausage pasta on Tuesday night.
    I also keep a "use-up" list in my Bullet(ish) journal - this helps with planning future weeks meals and also means I can target jars/dried stuff that may have been in the fridge/larder a bit longer than I ideally want.
    When I plan my meals I look at the fridge first - then the larder. The storecupboard gets a check through once a month or so which is also when we refill dry goods like pulses, pasta, rice etc.
    We try not to buy food on impulse as that doesn't help with the wastage thing - instead if one of us says we fancy something while we're shopping, we'll add it to the following weeks list/mealplan. As an example, MrEH said last week that we'd not had roast chicken for ages. This week we'll have a roast dinner on Sunday, then I'm going to do chicken enchiladas (probably for tuesday) as we have an enchilada kit in the cupboard that was bought for about 99p ages ago. The pickings off the carcass will go in a bag in the freezer to make risotto at some stage. Ideally I make stock from the carcass as well but that does have to depend on freezer space.

Bread crusts whizzed into crumbs is always a winner!

In terms of utilities, I'd be the first to admit that we're not the best with water but we do "choose" when to flush the toilet (you all know the mantra by now!) and turn taps off while cleaning teeth etc. We use buckets to catch rainwater for watering plants.
    Electricity - we make the most of our economy 7 hours and run everything we can at this time using timer switches. (For reference, we know that the Fire Service don't recommend this, but we have working smoke alarms, and are on one level with direct access to outside from our bedroom, also). Heating stays off until it's actually cold - when MrEH puts a thick fleece on in the sitting room during the evening I know it's about time. Lights are low energy bulbs everywhere we can (2 dimmer switched lights still need incandescents but once our current stock of these runs out we will be changing those fittings) and get turned off when we're not in the room.
    Gas - only used for cooking and I try to follow the "Cook once, eat twice" rule. For anything that needs boiling water it's boiled in the kettle then poured into the pan.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 9,523 Posts
    • 21,223 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    Food waste is nearly zero

Like EH I do roll over meals, making sure the ingredients I buy are used in another meal

Peelings and stalks etc are boiled up for the hens

Plate leftovers are fed to the dog

What he's not allowed ( pots bread etc) goes to the hens

We burn junk mail, loo roll middles etc. Any old bits of wood found or scavenged are also burned. Indeed we even sell kindling made from replacing skirting boards and doors in the house

Water, we don't have water charges here, but we are still careful with it. Flush when we have to, turn tap off whilst teeth brushing, only take 2 min showers, only put a full load on, make sure dishwasher is full etc. We rarely need to water the garden so we don't worry about water butts.

Electricity is expensive here, so I'm as tight as a ducks bum with it. TVs are set to turn themselves off if they aren't being watched ( it's ok to fall asleep), we usually don't bother having a light on to watch tv. Only use the full oven if I can fill it, otherwise it's the little oven. Even then I try to get by cooking most meals on the hob

I reuse foil till it catches fire, bread bags are used as lunch bags for DH. Ice cream tubs are freezer tubs, milk bottles are used in the garage and garden for storage, waterers and cloches. Butter wrappers are left in the fridge for greasing tins when baking. Crusts of bread are turned into stuffing or treacle tart or just plain breadcrumbs. I've even used old crackers as pie topping

We aren't perfect but we do our best to not waste. Not for any saving the planet ideals, just for our own satisfaction
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 8,875 Posts
    • 96,669 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    Today I've made breadcrumbs from bread crusts that we haven't eaten, and put them in the freezer - they will be used as a topping on days when I don't have time to make pastry or mash potatoes.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    We eat our bread crusts in this house - imho it's the best part of the loaf!

I can't remember the last time we threw out food, if I'm honest; also I scrub root veg rather than peel, so less waste there, too.

We don't get leftovers, as I'm pretty good at making the correct amount for our meal (there's only Mr LW and myself, so it's pretty easy really) and if I make a "two-day meal" like Shepherd Spy (as we call it) we literally eat it two days in succession.

Our only real "extravagance" if you can call it that is we have a bath, but in mitigation, a good hot bath is the best way to sooth my arthritic joints. And we do share the bathwater.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 13th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 6,651 Posts
    • 8,273 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    TVs are set to turn themselves off if they aren't being watched
    Originally posted by suki1964
    How do they know?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Dclutterchique
    • By Dclutterchique 13th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Dclutterchique
    Great idea for a thread!

The constant area of waste in my life is electricity, I regularly fall asleep in front of the TV with the light on
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Unless you have a very old set you should be able to set up an 'Auto Shut Down' option, so if no buttons are pressed on the remote control after a given period of time (usually 3 or 4 hours) the TV will turn itself off. If you don't have this you could set up the 'sleep mode' for a given period of time instead.

For the light could you have a side or table lamp on a timer set to go off just past you bed time so on nights when you don't fall asleep in front of the telly you can turn it off manually before going to bed but on nights when you do the light isn't burning away all night?
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 13th Oct 16, 5:34 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    Mr.Generous

In terms of utilities, I'd be the first to admit that we're not the best with water but we do "choose" when to flush the toilet (you all know the mantra by now!) and turn taps off while cleaning teeth etc. We use buckets to catch rainwater for watering plants.
    Electricity - we make the most of our economy 7 hours and run everything we can at this time using timer switches. (For reference, we know that the Fire Service don't recommend this, but we have working smoke alarms, and are on one level with direct access to outside from our bedroom, also). Heating stays off until it's actually cold - when MrEH puts a thick fleece on in the sitting room during the evening I know it's about time. Lights are low energy bulbs everywhere we can (2 dimmer switched lights still need incandescents but once our current stock of these runs out we will be changing those fittings) and get turned off when we're not in the room.
    Gas - only used for cooking and I try to follow the "Cook once, eat twice" rule. For anything that needs boiling water it's boiled in the kettle then poured into the pan.[/QUOTE]

You can get low energy CFL bulbs that are suitable for dimming. Everything else well done, except please flush the loo, its probably about 2p per p.
    • Dclutterchique
    • By Dclutterchique 13th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Dclutterchique
    TVs are set to turn themselves off if they aren't being watched.
    Originally posted by suki1964
    How do they know?
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    It's OK they (the tellies) don't actually know if you are or aren't watching them. It's simply a case of when the auto shut down is activated the telly will turn itself off when no controls have been pressed for a given period of time as it assumes that anybody who had been watching has either fallen asleep or gone off to do something else. It will still turn itself off if one sits in front of the screen for the duration giving it an evil death stare. And most, if not all, of them will give an on screen message approx. 1 to 5 mins before shut down to say something like 'press a button to continue viewing'
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 13th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 5,203 Thanks
    jackyann
    Oh I think we all, however hard we try, have the odd extravagance and the odd mistake.
    I understood that it wasn't that you 'couldn't' eat the potato salad with hot food, it just got pushed to the back. I have occasionally done that - a few weeks ago with a few raspberries left after Sunday dinner, I put to add to my morning porridge and forgot about them!
    I have a stupid tendency to waste mushrooms - I always like to have some by me as they are so useful in stretching a dish, adding flavour, or on their own can be made into something nice.
    That means that I don't always have a plan for them and occasionally find them languishing at the bottom of the fridge! This week, in the spirit of not wasting food, I bought no mushrooms that were not part of a plan - now guess what I wished I had yesterday evening ekeing out the 'left overs' stir-fry!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 13,932 Posts
    • 108,662 Thanks
    JackieO
    My new TV that I bought earlier this year has this auto-function which is great but not so much if you are in the middle of watching something then its scrabbling around to find the right remote to press a button in time .Virtually no waste in my house either especially with food, far too canny to throw food in the bin it goes into me, or the freezer if I'm not going to eat it fairly soon
    Last edited by JackieO; 13-10-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 13th Oct 16, 6:45 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Slowly57
    I hate wasting food (but I'm not prepared to be a refuse bin in order to use it up lol).
    I hate wasting time or having my time wasted.
    I hate wasted imagination (paddy's mums charity shop ladies lol)

Gosh, its a good job I'm perfect
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 13th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    • 3,954 Posts
    • 8,854 Thanks
    Linda32
    Time, I really hate to feel I've wasted my time, whether its a day off work, a weekend, or half an hour hanging on the phone to get no where.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    No hens, or dogs, so that's not an option for us. Also, a tiny garden so composting doesn't happen - maybe it should. Where we lived before, the council collected food waste separate from the rest of the rubbish - don't know why this council doesn't do it.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 13th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Oh good its not just me then!
    Evening all

VfM4meplse - I too do the falling asleep in front of TV!!
    jackyann - I too do the wasting mushrooms!

Am trying to cure these by a) being on here last thing at night, standing up and switching everything off - marching upstairs to bed and reading for a bit!

Re the mushrooms - it's a problem of being on one's own. The only criticism I can find of L!dil is that they sell things in packets (which is why they are cheap - fair enough) but for soft perishables (mushrooms/pears/cucumber/etc) is that they really aren't very freezable and on your own you only need a small amount!

I go to great lengths to not give big corporations any more of my money than I have to. For example - no heating on at moment but have warm cardie on + blanket on my lap + nice warm laptop !! Also only use cold water to wash hands + face + teeth. Cook on 'roll over' as well - always hard boil 2 eggs thus using electric only the once. All to save electric!!
    Also careful with water usage - never using more than I need to boil stuff - usually microwaving veg or steaming them.

I dont know if other notice this but much of this is habit now - it is only when other people come to stay - or if I stay with them - that I notice/ they notice my energy and food saving habits - in short how I live a frugal life! So much so that when trying to get a mortgage last year they refused to believe how low my bills were!
    Do others notice when visiting others??
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 13,932 Posts
    • 108,662 Thanks
    JackieO
    Indeed my eldest DD has a habit of forgetting to switch off lights and if I am at her house I am continually switching them off .Why she does this I don't know, as its not how she was brought up.
    They also have the TV running when no ones watching it ??? why ? mine goes on when I sit down to watch something, and off when I've finished ,seems logical to me.
    I too make a double boiled egg, and then its one for now and one for 'Ron (later on )

Lots of things I seem to do without thinking really and I have done them for so long its second nature really. I have three bottles that I fill up and have in the fridge with water from the tap so I always have a cold drink or ice cold water if I am having squash. My kettle I only boil enough for a cuppa, or if I do more then the rest goes into a thermos that I keep by the kettle for hot drinks during the day.

I cook with electric so always turn a saucepan off 5-10 minutes before its done and put a lid on to let it finish off cooking in its own heat.My slow cooker is used overnight to do casseroles,rice puds,whole chicken etc.Means a warm kitchen in the winter when I get up in the morning.

An extra cardi or thick dressing gown ( I bought one of the thick White Company ones several years ago when on offer and its paid for itself over and over a again) instead of turning on the heating just for an hour or so before bed.

I also have a warm knitted blanket that I made to go over my knees if it gets a bit chilly in the evening.My heating bills aren't that high as I had extra insulation in the loft, and the walls have been cavity foam filled

If anything my house gets too warm in the summer I am always careful with water as living with a meter makes you realise how much you can save by being sensible and its your cash getting washed down the drain.

Recycle and reuse as much as possible is not being mean or tight, its just means that you can use your cash to buy what you want or need without going into debt. perhaps its a generation thing.

I was watching The Victorian Slum programme on TV the other night and a lady on there said something very relevant

'Seeing how they lived makes you so glad life has improved for all of us'

Back then it was definitely survival of the most able for millions of people . A good programme to watch and make you feel so very lucky to be alive today with all the mod cons of 21st century life
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 14th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 9,581 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Since being on a water meter my parents keep old milk bottles under the kitchen sink, and fill them up with water from the hot tap before it heats up to washing up temperature. They then use them on the garden (dry area of the south coast).

I've never kept the tap running while brushing my teeth- why would you?

My food waste either goes in my compost bin for the worms or is collected by the council to be mulched into fertiliser, so it's not just rotting in landfill. I don't like waste, but also don't like eating food just because "it's there".
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

611Posts Today

3,658Users online

Martin's Twitter