Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Camster
    • By Camster 12th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Camster
    Should I ask my student son to pay housekeeping?
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    Should I ask my student son to pay housekeeping? 12th Oct 16 at 9:39 PM
    I'm looking for some advice on whether I should ask my student son to make a contribution to household bills.

We are in Scotland, so there are no tuition fees, but he has a student loan of about £4,200 a year and has a part time job which earns him around £70 a week.

He started University in September and so far we haven't asked him to contribute anything, as we can manage OK on my income.

I just wanted to ask if it would be too hard on him to ask for a contribution. I was thinking about a token amount of around £50 a month.
Page 3
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 5,858 Thanks
    ska lover
    Yes he needs to chip in. He has more disposable income than many adults - this guy has his cake and eat it at the mo
    Blah blah blah.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 14th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    lika_86
    Yes he needs to chip in. He has more disposable income than many adults - this guy has his cake and eat it at the mo
    Originally posted by ska lover
    Amended for you:

Yes he needs to chip in. He has more disposable debt than many adults - this guy has his cake and eat it at the mo
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 17th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 5,858 Thanks
    ska lover
    Amended for you:

Yes he needs to chip in. He has more disposable debt than many adults - this guy has his cake and eat it at the mo
    Originally posted by lika_86
    Please can you explain what disposable debt is? Never heard of that phrase
    Blah blah blah.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 34,034 Posts
    • 142,246 Thanks
    silvercar
    Please can you explain what disposable debt is? Never heard of that phrase
    Originally posted by ska lover
    Given that his 'income' as you called it, is actually a loan that will have to be repaid, it is really a debt.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 17th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 5,858 Thanks
    ska lover
    Given that his 'income' as you called it, is actually a loan that will have to be repaid, it is really a debt.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Income as I call it? LOL did you not read the guy in question also has a part time job?

Nevermind. I can see any intelligent convo is not going to happen with you > On ignore..bye
    Last edited by ska lover; 17-10-2016 at 7:50 PM.
    Blah blah blah.
    • Lbuk
    • By Lbuk 18th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Lbuk
    I'd definitely take some money off my children if they stayed with me, if just to ensure they were saving more than anything - I could always give it back upon graduation not that I'd tell them in advance. Or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

3,729Users online

Martin's Twitter