Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittles
    • By Kittles 12th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kittles
    Cost of electricity
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    Cost of electricity 12th Oct 16 at 9:14 PM
    Hi all, I moved shop last year.... the electricity costs in the new shop are so high. It's costing more than my home.... which is occupied by many children through out the day. Does anyone know anything about types of lighting costs? It's a fairly small shop but it has tube style lights. They are contained in squares, about 50 x 50, 4 tubes per square.... if that makes sense!

Thanks
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Oct 16, 2:06 AM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:06 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:06 AM
    Possibly 28w per tube - a little 100w per fitting.

How much lighting do you leave on when your shop is closed ?

Read your meter daily and let us know your consumption and unit rate.

How is your shop heated ?; any other electrical uses - 12v water heating
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 8,173 Posts
    • 14,241 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    I have a small office with similar strip lighting in boxes (6 units). I pay around £40 per quarter in electricity and that's for several computers/printers etc too, so maybe £160 per year.

Rather than looking at your usage, are you sure you're on a competitive tariff? Mine used to be twice as high before I shopped around and got a cheaper deal.

Also, what about your heating? Do you have any plant such as fridges/freezers/cookers. In the big scheme of things, lighting is relatively low power use.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,626Posts Today

7,515Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin