Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ed44
    • By ed44 12th Oct 16, 8:44 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 21Thanks
    ed44
    TD Direct sold to Interactive Investor
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:44 PM
    TD Direct sold to Interactive Investor 12th Oct 16 at 8:44 PM
    https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/interactive-investor-acquires-td-direct/

http://www.tddirectinvesting.co.uk/special-pages/customer-information/?_ga=1.259966666.1942136220.1414500024

No change to the TD service in the short term.
    Last edited by ed44; 12-10-2016 at 9:05 PM. Reason: changed link
Page 3
    • economic
    • By economic 17th Oct 16, 4:18 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    economic
    td & ii's charges are very different for funds (as opposed to shares).

td have a 0.3% annual holding charge for funds. ii have no holding charge.

ii charge for buying/selling funds. td don't.
    Originally posted by grey gym sock
    thats good for me then as i have a lot in index funds so would welcome not being charged 0.3%. index funds of around 100k would mean i save £300 a year which is great.
    • Nerdlinger
    • By Nerdlinger 1st Nov 16, 5:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nerdlinger
    Has anyone considered IG?

I'm a bit reluctant as their business model of encouraging gambling is awful but they appear to have a good broker service with no platform fee, low trade commission, Mr Osbourne's Flexible ISA feature (no doubt to encourage gambling) and a golden hello of £250 for >£100k portfolios.

I moved to II from Halifax when the 0.2%p.a. was getting into the £hundreds and then moved to TD when II started their charges.

Second favourite for me would be a return to Halifax since they now charge a more reasonable £12.50 p.a.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 1st Nov 16, 7:31 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    i'm thinking of IG, in case TD / II increase my costs for an ISA holding individual shares, or do something else to annoy me.

IG do have a (£12 per month) inactivity fee, though only after 2 years' inactivity. but i think it said that receiving dividends counted as activity (i could be wrong about that).

halifax/iweb would also be possible, except that i already hold OEICs / unit trusts with iweb, and i like use multiple providers (out of general paranoia).
    • Nerdlinger
    • By Nerdlinger 2nd Nov 16, 5:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nerdlinger
    Does anyone have a IG S&S ISA? Have you successfully resisted the temptation to do a spreadbet?

ggs, if you're thinking of it are you at all concerned about your own self-discipline?

I'm not sure I trust myself enough not to "temporarily" withdraw the cash balance from my flexible ISA to "invest" in some sophisticated financial instrument when my portfolio happens to be doing well and I get that Master Of The Universe feeling... Even though I know that all gamblers are losers.

from a Torygraph article I'm not permitted to link to:

The group hopes that its stockbroking customers will also be attracted to its spread-betting offering.

"We also see an opportunity which is once we’re addressing a much wider audience to get them interested not just in stockbroking but in our existing products," IG's chief executive said.

"It’s a very natural extension: If you’ve got someone doing share trading on your website to [then] start talking to them about maybe occasionally taking a position in the FTSE or occasionally taking a position in gold."
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 2nd Nov 16, 8:54 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    ggs, if you're thinking of it are you at all concerned about your own self-discipline?
    Originally posted by Nerdlinger
    personally, no. i have lots of ways to distract myself from making changes in investments: improve my electronic records of past investments (which doesn't yet cover dividends - i think i have all that info on paper); post on here; read monevator; etc.

EDIT to add: and i guess i'm also scared of messing it up. it's all quite entertaining looking at whether my equities are doing a bit better or a bit worse than just holding a global tracker. as long as i don't do anything too dramatic, it's only going to be a bit better or worse. it would be less fun if i did something reckless and it turned out very badly.

i do realize i'm not part of IG's target market, which is active traders generally. (ironically, i hold some IG shares in my ISA with TD.)
    Last edited by grey gym sock; 02-11-2016 at 9:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,363Users online

Martin's Twitter