Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littletedwest
    • By littletedwest 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    littletedwest
    Just passed advice needed
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    Just passed advice needed 12th Oct 16 at 8:42 PM
    Just passed my test I'm 36 never needed to drive in past but need it for work.
    Was looking at getting a 2nd hsnd yaris for 1500-2000 on a 0% purchase card.
    I've heard from people and reviews these are generally reliable cars with decent fuel economy and insurance.

So any opinions on other cars also who's best to look at for insurance and what's cheapest way of doing it?

Also how do you drive home from the dealership without insurance?
    Basically I'm pretty clueless.
    Used a diesel in my lessons but think I'll be buying petrol so daunted as I know I'll probably stall about 50 times

Thanks for any advice
Page 2
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 15th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    Yaris is an a good choice but that does not necessarily mean it will be a good car at this price condition is everything, though the yaris does have a good reputation for reliability,

regarding insurance read Martin's car insurance guide, and get some dummy quotes by putting some car registrations plates for similar cars from autotrader in the quotes and you get some estimates for your your insurance price

Also consider a hyundai i10 some of the 09/10 plates with mediumish mileage might be within your price range, reliable, bit more equipment such as air con remote locking, and very cheap to ensure, go for a mid spec comfort model
    • Madmel
    • By Madmel 15th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Madmel
    DD1 (17) has just acquired a Kia Rio thanks to her indulgent grandfather. Because she is on a provisional licence and still young, I test drove it for her and we then bought it, collecting it 2 days later. I put her details into a comparison site and it came up with several quotes. Aforementioned indulgent grandfather also wanted to be able to drive it, so that pushed the premium up a bit, but we got it for £575 - insured for DD, me, DH and grandfather. I rang the garage as soon as I'd organised it so that they could tax the car.

DD learns in a diesel and found the petrol Kia a bit odd for a day or two, but quickly got used to it, I drive a 1.9l diesel normally so it's a bit of a change, but actually quite fun. Yesterday DD drove 32 miles to school (my work) and back, then turned it round in the drive and didn't stall once. It was her 9th day of owning it.

Not sure how Kias compare to a Toyota Yaris, but the balance of the 7 year warranty was a definite plus for us.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 15th Oct 16, 11:46 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    DD1 (17) has just acquired a Kia Rio thanks to her indulgent grandfather. Because she is on a provisional licence and still young, I test drove it for her and we then bought it, collecting it 2 days later. I put her details into a comparison site and it came up with several quotes. Aforementioned indulgent grandfather also wanted to be able to drive it, so that pushed the premium up a bit, but we got it for £575 - insured for DD, me, DH and grandfather. I rang the garage as soon as I'd organised it so that they could tax the car.

DD learns in a diesel and found the petrol Kia a bit odd for a day or two, but quickly got used to it, I drive a 1.9l diesel normally so it's a bit of a change, but actually quite fun. Yesterday DD drove 32 miles to school (my work) and back, then turned it round in the drive and didn't stall once. It was her 9th day of owning it.

Not sure how Kias compare to a Toyota Yaris, but the balance of the 7 year warranty was a definite plus for us.
    Originally posted by Madmel
    Expect that premium to go up a lot once your DD has passed her test.

Insurance for learners is comparatively cheap.. They are a lot bigger risk once they are out on their own having just passed.

Expect the premium to double as a minimum.
    Last edited by Rain Shadow; 15-10-2016 at 11:49 PM.
    • Autolycus2000
    • By Autolycus2000 16th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Autolycus2000
    Many policies do require the other vehicle to be insured, but not all. Most will also say 'excludes vehicles owned by, leased or hired to the insured' or similar.

My Direct Line policy documents don't appear to say anything about the other vehicle needing its own insurance policy as far as I can see, and there's nothing on the certificate to suggest it either.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Plenty of discussion on this at:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1105207
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 16th Oct 16, 10:05 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Originally posted by Autolycus2000
    Right. Ok. I don't need to discuss it, but thanks anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,847Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter