Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dewdrop.ja
    • By Dewdrop.ja 12th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 50Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Dewdrop.ja
    Choosing an insurance company
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    Choosing an insurance company 12th Oct 16 at 8:34 PM
    I am 7 months in to my current car insurance policy but am hoping to buy a new car. My current insurance company are going to charge £69 for me changing vehicle (which they'll divide over the remaining 5 monthly payments) So I'll go from paying £32.11 a month to £46 a month. My current car is a group 19 and the new one is a 10 so I don't understand how the payments outside of the £69 charge are effectively staying the same.
    I have looked at new quotes for the new car and can save over £100 a year. There's a £40 cancellation chrge and I will have to start over on this year no claim but I feel it'll still be the much cheaper option.
    Now for the question - how do I choose which insurance company to use? There are quite a few which will save me money. Do I go for well known companies? Is there anything else I should check?
    Thank you in advance
    Halifax: £4765.18
    MBNA: £6843.51
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    • 23,348 Posts
    • 9,201 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    You choose on price or customer service. The 2 rarely go together.

And just because ones a lower group does not mean its going to be cheaper to insure. 5 months away from another years no claims and your going to cancel?

You can save £100 for the year. Factor in the £40 cancellation charger + the charge for time on cover you maybe paying close to the full premium anyway and actually come out worse off. Thats just the cancellation fee what about the rest of the charges?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • straighttalker
    • By straighttalker 13th Oct 16, 3:32 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    straighttalker
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:32 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:32 AM
    For the relatively small monthly extra cost, I'd stick with your current insurer until the end of the term.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,279Posts Today

6,071Users online

Martin's Twitter