Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bradley15
    • By bradley15 12th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bradley15
    Mandatory Reconsideration
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    Mandatory Reconsideration 12th Oct 16 at 8:22 PM
    Hi, last week I got a letter stating my tax credits have been stopped due to me not sending information on time ( hand on heart I have hed no letter about this untill now ). Due to family problems too complicated to go into now I have been caring for my step brother 11yr and sister 9yrs since July 2015 due to my mum being evicted and going off the rails and their dad going back to oz. I claimed taxcredits and child benefit for them in august 2015. I also have my 17yr old brother with me who moved in with me in April 2015. I have asked for a reconsideration which I am currently applying for with proof letters from our social worker / school. I work part time and have 2 seperate bank accounts 1 for my wage (for food and household expeneses) and one for my benefits which pays my rent and bills. This is my 2nd week without tax credits and the money is going down fast. My nan says she will pay my rent next month if need be and I will scrape by with rest of bills but after that if it does'nt get sorted I don't know whats going to happen. I rang tax credits today but they say they havn't received them so as time is ticking on i'm thinking of sending papers again registered post( I know I should have done that straight away). I just don't know what to do next i'm feeling sick with worry.
Page 1
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 12th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bananas123
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    hello,

you seem to be doing ALOT for ALOT of people,

> there are crisis loans available for people in your situation, but i haven't had to apply for one, so don't know much:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/crisis-loans

if i was you, i would probably apply for a crisis loan (for peace of mind), and let it sit in your bank account, trying not to spend it / worry, until you need to obviously, if so.

i am saying that, because i don't know how long mandatory reconsideration takes (i would assume it could be potentially quite a while though, speculatively).

good luck / kind regards !

sorry if not much help.
    • bradley15
    • By bradley15 12th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bradley15
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    Thanks for your reply, I didn't have much choice kids needed somewhere I am worried they wont believe I didn't get aletter from them asking for info. My taxcredit renewal was automatically renewed in june and has been paid every week up untill 2 weeks ago.
    Thanks for the crisis loan info.
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 12th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bananas123
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    very very commendable, all you are doing, looking after other people.

remember to look after yourself also though, as well as the little uns, not just take on worry x [amount of people] etc

--------------------------

it's not your fault, if they didn't send a letter is it... just unfortunate.

also, currently it's not "stopped" really, but moreso "being witheld" > until the documents filters through the system.

by the sounds of things, there was an error with the letter (which happens) which should be rectified, and you will get it back paid, hopefully as quickly as possible.

just dependant on the MR/ descion maker and their workload and the time it takes to get to you (which i have no idea how long)

--------------------------------

i would ring them up and chase it every so often / ask when it will be reinstated, also can ask for advise from them directly or the citizens advice bureau.

(remembering all throughout that you didn't do anything wrong / don't have to justify yourself ("try not to get stressed" etc).

here's the tax credit number, if you don't have it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/tax-credits-enquiries

Phone

• Telephone: 0345 300 3900
    kind regards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,126Users online

Martin's Twitter