Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • employee123
    • By employee123 12th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    employee123
    Is what my employer doing wrong?
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    Is what my employer doing wrong? 12th Oct 16 at 8:15 PM
    Good evening chaps..

Im looking for some opinions / advice... Everyone has lazy managers but mine really takes the cake. I dont like to go into too much detail but I work for well known national brand. Ive worked with the company coming up to 8 years. My manager must be about 18+ years.

Simply put, hes never actually there. He clocks himself in week in, week out. For shifts hes never been on. In the 6 years Ive known him, hes never worked past 3pm. But he will regularly be clocked in 6am till3pm, then 6pm till 11pm.

His most regular trick is to open up at 6am, stay in the office till midday or so, and get the evening manager to come in early.He will have some excuse every time and make you feel bad if you dont come in early.

I know with most company's its a case of the worker bees doing the hard graft, and the boss taking all the glory. It really could not be more true for my place of work. as long as he gets his bonus at the end of the year, hes happy. We do everything to run that place, and if somethings not done he will make out my jobs at risk etc... He will tell me to look out for him, and he will look after me.

Ive seen him delete a whole weeks worth of clock ins for a colleague without telling him. (He only found out when he checked his bank on pay day!) because we were over our target for labour costs. and he repayed him by not ringing sales through our till and paying him cash in hand. Plus a little extra to keep quiet.

And thats just the tip of the iceburg! Its unreal and im starting to get sick of it. Fed up of getting texts from him at work to do jobs that he should be doing. Hes got me sending emails from his account so it looks as if hes at work!

Ive mentioned his lazyness before but his answer was "Show me a manager whos not like that. They all do it"

Im a firm believer in "Dont sh*t where you eat" but im really fed up. Perhaps i should look for another job? ive worked hard to slowly build my career here and move up the chain, I dont feel like i should be the one leaving.
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 12th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    If they don't know, then the rest of them aren't much different. And if they do know, they don't care.

If this isn't something that you can live with, get another job. Nobody is hoping to thank you for bringing this up.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    I agree with most of your sentiments. Without jeopardising your own position, and depending on the number of colleagues working with you, an anonymous note dealing the above to a senior manager might prompt someone to check up on him perhaps?
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
    • asajj
    • By asajj 12th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 8,109 Thanks
    asajj
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    Looks like you work for a smallish company so you are unlikely to go through channels to help you with this issue. Probably, it is best to move on.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • employee123
    • By employee123 12th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    employee123
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    I have thought about this. Problem is, is what hes doing not illegal? years of falsifying time sheets. Surely that is theft? your essentially stealing a salary from your company...
    • employee123
    • By employee123 12th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    employee123
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    We're listed on the FSTE 100, defiantly a big company!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,223 Thanks
    greenbee
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    In that case you should have a Whistleblower policy and process. Find out and follow it.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 13th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 8,109 Thanks
    asajj
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    Exactly, I cannot understand how internal controls of such company would fail to detect this. So use the channels available to you to raise the issue. Especially him fiddling with the till is surely fraudulent. His laziness or absence is something different - I wouldn't focus on that however what he does to cover his absence or reach the targets are definitely something internal audit would be interested in.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Helvetica Van Buren
    • By Helvetica Van Buren 13th Oct 16, 1:49 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Helvetica Van Buren
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:49 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:49 PM
    To answer your question: yes it's wrong; very wrong.
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 13th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    YouAsked
    Speaking pragmatically, if you want somebody to deal with this, look up your company's policies on fraud and see how you can report it and make sure you use those channels so that you do not leave yourself open to claims you have acted vexatiously. Depending on what the outcome is, the employer may which to take legal action against him.

You also need to think about yourself. Even in a large company, individual members of staff are identifiable. It strikes me that you would need to give a large amount of detail/evidence for anything to come of your allegation and your ability to provide this may be limited if you choose to do so anonymously. For example, you're not going to be able to say "I emailed from Manager's account on xx/xx/xxx" and maintain your anonymity and the vaguer you are the less credence your allegations will have. Of course you may be fully prepared to put your name to your allegations which is to be commended but if the employer decides on the balance of probabilities your allegations can't be proven then this is going to make your working life difficult. I'm not saying you shouldn't take this action, (we should all stand up for what we believe is right), but it's not risk free to you.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 13th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    steampowered
    Generally with these things I think it is wise to keep low. But it sounds like the conduct of this manager is exceptionally bad. I am sure the other managers are lazy but I doubt they are actually stealing from the company.

If the really believed all the other managers were doing it, he wouldn't be concerned about getting caught, and so he would have no need to get you to send emails from his account so it looks like he is at work.

I doubt the other managers clock themselves in for shifts they don't work. That is fraud.

I also doubt the other managers fail to ring sales through the till. Not ringing sales through the till so that you can take the cash is theft.

As the manager is committing criminal offences here, I would at least report it. Whether or not the company does anything about your report is up to them.

As you work for a FTSE 100 company they will almost certainly have a whistleblowing policy. Try to get hold of it (it might be in the employee handbook) and have a look. The policy may allow you to raise concerns anonymously.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 13th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Mersey

Simply put, hes never actually there. He clocks himself in week in, week out. For shifts hes never been on. In the 6 years Ive known him, hes never worked past 3pm. But he will regularly be clocked in 6am till3pm, then 6pm till 11pm.

Ive seen him delete a whole weeks worth of clock ins for a colleague without telling him. (He only found out when he checked his bank on pay day!) because we were over our target for labour costs. and he repayed him by not ringing sales through our till and paying him cash in hand. Plus a little extra to keep quiet.
    Originally posted by employee123

The former is wrong but sadly does go on.

But the latter is far more serious: theft and bribery (as well as issues re falsifying sales/finances, NMW, tax, NICs etc that HMRC could be interested in).

I'd certainly report that as a whistleblower and I'm astounded some don't think that alone merits doing so. Hopefully he's a one off rogue manager; but, as a FTSE listed company it's the sort of practice that the shareholders would want to know about too. Although little surprises me of late with what was going on at Sports Direct, BHS etc.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited by Mersey; 13-10-2016 at 4:54 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • SandC
    • By SandC 14th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 5,542 Thanks
    SandC
    Difficult one. I had a boss who took the mickey - he had been an employee virtually straight from school and worked his way up. When he got to senior management he was basically never there. I kept a diary note of his AWOLS but didn't do anything about them in the end as I got another job and left. But not long after that he was dismissed for misconduct anyway. He did something that caused others to speak out and his downfall was swift. Actually he was a nice guy, we got on fine but he got cocky.

Sometimes these things take a long time, but they do tend to get their come uppance somewhere down the line. I've seen it since as well, long service doesn't count for anything when a new person comes along above them and susses them out.

You can probably guarantee that others are aware, just depends how confident you are in reporting it. As others have said there will be written procedure on this and definitely if you have a grievance there is a route to take above him, or via HR. Good luck, cos it's a horrible situation to be in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter