Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poundpilferer
    • By Poundpilferer 12th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Poundpilferer
    Best way to register split ownership of a house?
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    Best way to register split ownership of a house? 12th Oct 16 at 6:49 PM
    I am on the verge of paying off my girlfriend's mortgage on a house we live in together, this will mean that I own around 75%. Does anyone know the cheapest/best way to get this logged legally so that if we split up the we both get what we're due from the sale of the house? Should I get a lawyer to write something up or can we both just sign a piece of paper, date it and stick it in an envelope??

If anyone's been in the same situation it'd be great to hear their advice.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 10,861 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    Tenants-in- Common and Deed of Trust. See a solicitor.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2782167/How-protect-youre-buying-home-partner-arent-married.html
    • Poundpilferer
    • By Poundpilferer 14th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Poundpilferer
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    Spoke to solicitor today and one said i'd just have to change title deeds then passed me on to "her guy" who started talking about agreements etc and we ended up at £1250 just to get this sorted. Does this sound right? Surely there must be a cheaper way? I'm in Scotland by the way, dunno if this changes anything.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 14th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    Well of course you'll need to appear on the deeds, but Scotland... I'll refrain as I don't know the details.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

4,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin