Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 1,904Posts
    • 3,316Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Will Your Next Car Drive Itself?
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    Will Your Next Car Drive Itself? 12th Oct 16 at 6:29 PM
    Tesla put the feature, a computer software program, in cars that were built after September 2014. With the Autopilot turned on, the vehicle drives itself. The car will speed up, slow down, brake and steer by itself. You can take over driving any time by turning the steering wheel or touching a pedal.
    I am not sure how I feel about this. I have zero tolerance policy for myself, about drinking and driving. I wonder how the law would stand on that.
    Your thoughts on these cars of our future.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 1
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 12th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    Well to be honest I'm not sure. It would be a good idea for people who can't drive for whatever reason. It would make their lives easier to get around like someone who can drive.

However I'm not sure about technology. Technology does go wrong and what happens when it goes wrong? Would you really put your life in the hands of a machine? Plus it will put thousands if not millions of people out of jobs. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, lorry drivers etc.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 12th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 32,924 Posts
    • 135,220 Thanks
    tommix
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    I hate anything to do with Cars..Especially that bloke off the telly..Sorry Tips.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 55,990 Posts
    • 321,746 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    You say they put it in - in ALL cars?

I'd have imagined that I'd only use such technology when it became financially accessible to me, so I'd have imagined, say, 10-15-20 years before I got my hands on it.

If money were taken from the equation entirely I'd have no problems using a car that didn't need me to drive it. Driving's boring .... you can't even look out of the windows as you need to be concentrating on the road, the bloke in front, the sideroad dangers and still be reading all the signs.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    I never said I approved. Just interested.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 12th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    Driverless cars are coming soon, and once we all get used to it then it'll be the best thing we've ever done.
    Pants
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 12th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 12,194 Posts
    • 22,839 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    I think it'll be great. You also might not really need your own car. Just book a driverless one to pick you up at 8 am to take you to work, and then another to collect you from work at 5 pm. If there are other people following a similar route then you could cut costs by sharing. Also, if all cars are driverless then the road systems can do clever things to slot all the cars in, prepare timings for getting groups of cars more efficiently through traffic lights, drive much closer together and faster etc etc.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 11,462 Posts
    • 15,336 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    Driverless cars are coming soon, and once we all get used to it then it'll be the best thing we've ever done.
    Originally posted by warehouse
    If you enjoy driving a car, I doubt it.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    I was wondering about other vehicles, like tractors, ambulances etc. What will the future hold?
    Tips
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 6,815 Posts
    • 14,651 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    My last car could park itself. I'm not sure whether my current one can. Personally, I don't trust it to do the job properly. It may be great at working out how to fit into a space, but a car dooes not have the observation skills of humans. A person can see a child approaching and the parent chattering on the phone, or someone across the road who is obviously desperate to cross - part of the driving test includes hazard perception (although it didn't when I passed). Driving is much more than moving a car from A to B. It's being aware of pedestrians and of other drivers. It's noticing things out of the corner of your eye and reacting appropriately. It's reading the traffic lights and the people waiting to cross.

Also, if there is an accident, what happens about insurance? Is it fair for a driver to be sued if the car knocks someone over when in driverless mode?

I'm not a fan of the idea of driverless cars. I don't even use the camera for reversing - it doesn't have as panoramic a view as my eyes when my head is swivelling round, and I prefer to reverse using my eyes, not a piece of technology.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Oct 16, 8:44 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Very good points kingfisherblue. Maybe I have started this thread in the wrong forum.
    Tips
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 12th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 6,815 Posts
    • 14,651 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Not at all, Tips. It's light hearted and good to chat about. I just worry too much (about most things in life, if I'm honest!). Driverless cars worry me, but it's interesting to find the viewpoints of others. I'd never even thought about other vehicles until you mentioned them.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 12th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 24,279 Posts
    • 29,934 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    I wonder how it will react to OH telling it how to drive,where to turn, what speed to go at. You know all the usual things you get on a family day out.
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 12th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 7,697 Posts
    • 11,225 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I wonder how it will react to OH telling it how to drive,where to turn, what speed to go at. You know all the usual things you get on a family day out.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    Lol.

My mum gets confused with her lefts and rights and regularly shouts "turn left....no I meant right"...how to confuse a car!
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Well I suppose it's better than-
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 12th Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 5,850 Thanks
    Gavin83
    I don't mind it being there as a feature just as long as I can easily override it. Most of the time I'd wish to drive myself, I'd only use it for the boring drives or when I'm feeling tired.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Oct 16, 7:54 AM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 12,981 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I was wondering about other vehicles, like tractors, ambulances etc. What will the future hold?
    Tips
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Quite a lot of the big farm equipment is GPS linked and can drive themselves already.

I think it'll be great. You also might not really need your own car. Just book a driverless one to pick you up at 8 am to take you to work, and then another to collect you from work at 5 pm. If there are other people following a similar route then you could cut costs by sharing. Also, if all cars are driverless then the road systems can do clever things to slot all the cars in, prepare timings for getting groups of cars more efficiently through traffic lights, drive much closer together and faster etc etc.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    The problem with this is that you can't create a train of cars driving really close to each other until all cars are capable of doing that. Or how would other cars join for instance a motorway?

I can't see me having a driverless car any time soon. My current car is about 15 years old and I think I will have to replace it in the next couple of years (whenever it costs to go through the MOT).
    So when I replace it I will probably try and run that one for about 10 years (and I am sure that it will already be about 5yrs old when I buy it)
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter