Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KieranF93
    • By KieranF93 12th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KieranF93
    Fraudulent Loan in my name
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    Fraudulent Loan in my name 12th Oct 16 at 5:59 PM
    Hi All, I'm new here and I was hoping to get some advice on a loan that was taken out in my name 5 years ago.

First of all, the loan was taken out in 2011 making me 17, I'm now 22 and the legal requirement for anyone to take a loan out is 18 years of age, now to get a loan I'm sure you need credit checks, proof of address, photo identification and possibly other information.

I contacted Provident (the loan company) and they had sold the debt on to another company, so I contact this debt company and they informed me the dates, the value and so on and I worked out the date would of made me 17 years of age, however, on their system it claimed I was 24 stating I was born in 1991 when in fact I was born in 1993 so could someone please explain to me how it's even possible to take that loan out in my name?

I have reason to believe it was a family member who had done this and I know people will say call the police but it's a lot easier said than done considering my life situation, so from the information provided can anyone recommend anything useful I could try as surely the company is also at fault for illegally issuing a loan to a minor.

Thank you all in advance and I hope this is the correct forum.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    • 27,729 Posts
    • 17,512 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    Well you should write to them stating the loan wasn't yours, should also ask for it to be removed from your credit file. I'm not sure on this but I would have thought the loan would/should have been paid into a named bank account of the person applying eg Mr Joe Bloggs applied and the money is paid into an account belonging to Mr Joe Bloggs.

Check your credit files at clearscore and Noddle and see if its listed there.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 9,320 Posts
    • 9,144 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    It would have been done by someone providing false information and quite possibly fake ID if that was required.

It is the bank who has been defrauded. You will need to co-operate with as them as much as you're needed to, which will probably involve providing them with the name of who you think may have done it.

Clearly the bank didn't think they were giving credit to a minor.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 23,188 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    OP When did you first become aware of this debt?

Provident I presume is a door to door lender where the ID would be quite lax compared to getting a bank account/loan today?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 12th Oct 16, 7:17 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 6,330 Thanks
    Gaz83
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:17 PM
    Hi All, I'm new here and I was hoping to get some advice on a loan that was taken out in my name 5 years ago.

First of all, the loan was taken out in 2011 making me 17, I'm now 22 and the legal requirement for anyone to take a loan out is 18 years of age, now to get a loan I'm sure you need credit checks, proof of address, photo identification and possibly other information.

I contacted Provident (the loan company) and they had sold the debt on to another company, so I contact this debt company and they informed me the dates, the value and so on and I worked out the date would of made me 17 years of age, however, on their system it claimed I was 24 stating I was born in 1991 when in fact I was born in 1993 so could someone please explain to me how it's even possible to take that loan out in my name?

I have reason to believe it was a family member who had done this and I know people will say call the police but it's a lot easier said than done considering my life situation, so from the information provided can anyone recommend anything useful I could try as surely the company is also at fault for illegally issuing a loan to a minor.

Originally posted by KieranF93
    If you think that a family member has fraudulently obtained this loan using your (incorrect) details, you have two options:

Report them to the police, have it investigated and then (hopefully) wiped from your credit report if it can be proven, or

Don't report them to the police, and take responsibility for the debt.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    Well you should write to them stating the loan wasn't yours, should also ask for it to be removed from your credit file. I'm not sure on this but I would have thought the loan would/should have been paid into a named bank account of the person applying eg Mr Joe Bloggs applied and the money is paid into an account belonging to Mr Joe Bloggs.

Check your credit files at clearscore and Noddle and see if its listed there.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Don't Provident hand over the loan in cash? I thought they mostly dealt with people who don't have bank accounts.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 27,729 Posts
    • 17,512 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    Don't Provident hand over the loan in cash? I thought they mostly dealt with people who don't have bank accounts.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    You could well be right, I believe you are right actually.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • KieranF93
    • By KieranF93 12th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KieranF93
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    Thanks everyone who has replied, the account is currently being investigated to see how the loan was obtained and to see what form of ID was provided and they're going to contact me back.

I'm 100% certain it was a family member (my mum) which is disgusting but as stated its not as easy as calling the police on her so I'm looking for alternatives, she thinks I have no idea about the loan yet it's on my credit report so I'm thinking of confronting her to take full responsibility and asking the company to come to an agreement (if she agrees) to transfer te debt in her name and wipe my record as I have no intention of paying it, seen as though their agent illegally handed out a loan as 1. I was under the legal age requirement and 2. False ID must of been used so I'm hoping they can come to an agreement.

Also, I was sure they handed cash in person too so I'm assuming she must of known the agent otherwise everyone would be able to do it no?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 12th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    adindas
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:02 PM

It is a fraud, so yes report to the police. Otherwise take responsibility be prepared to hide from a debt collector......
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 12th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 6,669 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    At every stage shout loud and shout clear to make sure they know that the bank is the victim of a fraud not you.
    THIS IS LAW.

Now the debt collector.
    Send a Subject Access Request and CCA request notice, do not sign it with your normal signature.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • KieranF93
    • By KieranF93 12th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KieranF93
    Sorry I didn't mention this, but there was no way she knew my bank details, and as stated its highly possible it was a cash in hand credit/loan.

But take note of this,

I live at address A, I found the debt letter at address A and it was also addressed there,

According to the debt company who purchase the debt from provident - the loan was issued to address "B" which of course is my previous address, she got the loan whilst we was living at address "A" so I'm not sure how the company think I'm living at my old address without the agent who issued it being involved somehow, they also claimed that according to their records I was born it 1991 which would now make me 24, but I'm 22 so the loan was handed to her a month before my 18th with false age, so how does that show on my credit record especially when my dob is wrong by 2 years? I'm confused but once again thanks for all the replies.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 9,320 Posts
    • 9,144 Thanks
    zx81
    I'm thinking of confronting her to take full responsibility and asking the company to come to an agreement (if she agrees) to transfer te debt in her name and wipe my record as I have no intention of paying it
    They won't be transferring the loan into her name. They will be treating it as fraud.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 12th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 6,669 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    Sorry I didn't mention this, but there was no way she knew my bank details, and as stated its highly possible it was a cash in hand credit/loan.

But take note of this,

I live at address A, I found the debt letter at address A and it was also addressed there,

According to the debt company who purchase the debt from provident - the loan was issued to address "B" which of course is my previous address, she got the loan whilst we was living at address "A" so I'm not sure how the company think I'm living at my old address without the agent who issued it being involved somehow, they also claimed that according to their records I was born it 1991 which would now make me 24, but I'm 22 so the loan was handed to her a month before my 18th with false age, so how does that show on my credit record especially when my dob is wrong by 2 years? I'm confused but once again thanks for all the replies.
    They are simply going to love you.
    Stop playing detective, start playing defending yourself, CCA request them.
    See what they send so you can see who the principle in the contract is and send them an estoppal warning notice.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 12th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    GingerBob

But take note of this,

Because unlike just about every other data processing organisation known to man, CRAs don't apply basic QA procedures. The fact that the ICO let them get with this is nothing short of an outrage.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 12th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    GingerBob
    They won't be transferring the loan into her name. They will be treating it as fraud.
    Originally posted by zx81

How so? The OP could just ask them to transfer the debt. I don't know if companies would be amenable to such a request but it's worth a try. Failing that, perhaps the OP's mother could take out a loan in her name to pay him back?

Obviously we don't know the OP's family situation, but only as an absolute last resort should he report this to the fuzz. In fact, he should even think about bearing the cost himself rather than doing so.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 13th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    MEM62
    There is no middle ground. There is no third option.

You either deal with this as fraud or you reply the loan. These are your only options.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 15th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    • 13,385 Posts
    • 118,115 Thanks
    zagubov
    The OP is looking for ways of removing the unfair debt that others are erroneously attributing to him. It would be very public-spirited of him to assist those owed the money to identify the real debtors but frankly that's not his job, and he's asking if there's an easier way.

If we can't provide such (and I certainly can't), then it falls on us to step aside and make room for those who have such knowhow, should such people be present, instead of whinging it's not possible.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 16th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    camelot1971
    I know Provident aren't the best company in the world but would they really hand over the cash to someone's mother when the application was in the name of her son??
    • MentalMinnie
    • By MentalMinnie 16th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    MentalMinnie
    This happened to me. When I bought my house 3 years ago a debt collector letter came through my door. It was a catalogue debt, possibly littlewoods. When I asked about the dates etc I realised I was 16 at the time the account was taken out.

In my favour it was a really old debt so they already knew they were clutching at straws but they asked for proof of my d.o.b and that was it.

It's a sh!tty situation to be in though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter