Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moofoo17
    • By moofoo17 12th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    moofoo17
    British Credit Trust & Old Claims
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    British Credit Trust & Old Claims 12th Oct 16 at 5:51 PM
    Hi all,

I'm really sorry, I'm very new to MSE and almost tearing my hair out!

I had two car finance agreements with the British Credit Trust a few years ago - approx 2005-2010/11, with one car then another when I upgraded. I had PPI for both agreements. The deal with done firstly with a car dealer that doesn't exist anymore and the second one was with a dealership that is a long way away from where I live now. BCT have been the credit provider in both cases.

I tried to reclaim the PPI some time ago, as I found some of my paperwork out when the PPI misselling first came to light. As much as I tried, I hit dead ends/brick wall every time as the BCT don't actually exist anymore and were taken over by a company called Capquest. From memory (although I'm not 100% I think the Ombudsman were also unable to get involved) I now don't seem to have paperwork to hand as I've moved house a couple of times since.

Firstly - is there any other way I can possibly try and see if I can reclaim the PPI for these cases and in any case, is there a time limit on claiming? The whole thing is a minefield!

Thanks all, in advance for helping the newbie!

M x
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 3,728 Thanks
    -taff
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    You complain to whoever sold it to you, so in your case, you complain to the dealerships.
    If they are defunct, and it was sold post January 2005 you can go to the FSCS, but you'd need some kind of paperwork to say yu had this. You don't have any and you have no way of getting it.

For the second one, you write or phone the dealership [you sound as if it's still viable] ad you complain to them. If they can't find your paperwork, you can send a SAR and £10 to see what they have left. Again, if they have no paperwork, your complaint is over because there has to be some kind of record somewhere to say you paid something.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 2,953 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    If you have already complained and it's been to the FOS and not got anywhere you may find it difficult to complain again as the firms will simply refer to the old decision
    • moofoo17
    • By moofoo17 13th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moofoo17
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    Thanks for your replies. I think if I really turned the house upside down I could find the paperwork. I did wonder if it would be referred to the original decision if I tried again. I may pursue it, even if just to ensure that I did refer it to the FOS. It was a while ago.

Thanks for your help.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 85,082 Posts
    • 50,107 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    From what you have said, the FOS would not be available to you. They can only consider complaints that have been responded to by firms that are still trading or have assets. You say the dealer is not around. So, the FOS could not consider the complaint. If you bought after Jan 2005, then the FOS would have told you to try the FSCS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter