Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 12th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 41Thanks
    MSE Luke
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose scraps its free hot drink offer in some stores
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose scraps its free hot drink offer in some stores 12th Oct 16 at 5:49 PM
    Members of Waitrose's loyalty cards programme are no longer able to get a totally free tea or coffee from all its stores...
    Read the full story:
    'Waitrose scraps its free hot drink offer in some stores – will it axe it entirely?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • cheesetoast
    • By cheesetoast 12th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    cheesetoast
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    I like to get the free coffee at the welcome desk, and then drink it as I walk around doing my shopping.

I'd rather see them maybe charge £2 for the coffee, but have a token on the cup that gives you £2 off your shopping at the other end.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 11,178 Posts
    • 32,692 Thanks
    redfox
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    I really can't see any problem with that as it was intended as a reward treat for customers, not people who just stroll in and get a free coffee without buying anything as so very many seem to do. They're not customers IMO.

I regularly see it at my local Waitrose (even police cars frequently rock up, parking in the disabled bays (!) and the two PCs saunter in for their coffee-to-go without buying anything at all) Office workers from the businesses on the retail park also get a coffee daily without spending anything whilst in there - I've heard them bragging about how much they are saving by not going to the nearby Costa whilst waiting at the machine.

I'm pleased Waitrose are going to stop this free for all, it's long overdue. I think they should put a minimum spend on the requirement as well to prevent the free loaders just buying a single 10p banana to circumvent it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Smidster
    • By Smidster 12th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Smidster
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    It was inevitable that this was going to come to an end sooner or later. The costs of business are going up, and will increasingly do so, and so some nice things are going to be lost.

For me it is irrelevant as my local Waitrose closed last month....They would have lost me as a customer with this as I did go in for the coffee and often got something else at the same time. Without the drink I wouldn't have gone into the shop.

I accept though I am in the minority and for most people it will make no difference to their shopping habits.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 12th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 5,842 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    One by one, the pillars of civilisation have fallen.

The John Lewis cake and coffee vouchers will be next, no doubt.

I really want to know what happened to the man/woman/idiot who proposed the free coffee idea, and whether he/she/it is at the bottom of the Thames wearing cement boots.

Surely there's a movie in it?
    What happens if you push this button?
    • robin58
    • By robin58 13th Oct 16, 12:02 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    robin58
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:02 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:02 AM
    I use the Southend branch and they only give the cups out at the front desk, so now unless you go up to it with something to buy you won't get a cup.

But with the Leigh on sea branch they give it to you either at the front desk or on the tills after you shop. Think the Leigh restriction is because of the area, it's posh, dripping with money but 'tight'
    Last edited by robin58; 13-10-2016 at 12:06 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 13th Oct 16, 12:04 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    robin58
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:04 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:04 AM
    One by one, the pillars of civilisation have fallen.

I really want to know what happened to the man/woman/idiot who proposed the free coffee idea, and whether he/she/it is at the bottom of the Thames wearing cement boots.

Surely there's a movie in it?
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Dunked in the drink no doubt.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Oct 16, 12:21 AM
    • 9,438 Posts
    • 19,296 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:21 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:21 AM
    Like most things like this it gets abused.

The staff told us that workers from offices were going in there and getting several cups without shopping there, and it was never intended for that.

I have no problem with only getting one when you buy something and it should have been that way from the start.

Perhaps then we would not have had to wait weeks to get our bread sliced because the slicer had broken down and have our coffee in paper cups for over a week in the cafe because the dishwasher had broken down.

I would rather they did not give out free coffee and spent the money on providing a better service.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 13th Oct 16, 4:57 AM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 2,394 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:57 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:57 AM
    You cant get "Several" cups as you have to show the card.1 per day.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 13th Oct 16, 7:25 AM
    • 11,178 Posts
    • 32,692 Thanks
    redfox
    You cant get "Several" cups as you have to show the card.1 per day.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    but some people have several cards to get round that - one in the name of their OH, one in the name of their son, their daughter, the dog, the cat.....I've seen it happen.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 14th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Don't have a problem with the changes, I regularly shop at Waitrose so don't feel guilty on the rare occasions when I've obtained a coffee with no spend but the examples of the office workers is just taking things too far.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 15th Oct 16, 7:08 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,243 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    It would honestly never occur to me to go in and get a free coffee without buying something! Surely it's not much better than stealing?!

I buy a few bits in my local Waitrose a couple of times a month and nowadays you can only get a cup at the checkout.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 15th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    It may not be in the spirit of the offer but to align it with stealing is silly.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th Oct 16, 6:41 AM
    • 5,876 Posts
    • 18,751 Thanks
    Doc N

Originally posted by Pincher
    Gone already to all intents and purposes - the promised 3 vouchers a year have long since disappeared for most people.

This, and the free coffee/newspaper, was intended to set John Lewis/Waitrose apart from the cheaper alternatives such as Amazon and Aldi and keep customers from defecting.

It hasn't really worked, because the price gap is far too wide, so they're dismantling the schemes, piece by piece.

They've also dismantled what used to be John Lewis's excellent customer service, as anyone who's shopped there recently, or had a problem, will tell you, and Andy Street is on his way in advance of some pretty poor trading results - just like the CEOs of Sainsbury and Tesco did before things went wrong there.

Things aren't looking good - except for Amazon and Aldi, of course.
    • The all new me
    • By The all new me 17th Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    The all new me
    Couldn't have put it better myself Doc N.
    • gwa1981
    • By gwa1981 17th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gwa1981
    Oh dear, my father in law won't be happy
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 5,876 Posts
    • 18,751 Thanks
    Doc N
    It's all being dismantled, piece by piece, slowly but surely:

We just wanted to make you aware of a small change to your myWaitrose benefits.

From 1 November 2016, the minimum spend to receive money off your shopping with selected newspapers from Monday to Friday will be £10. It will remain £10 at weekends as it is now.

The titles included in the offer are The Telegraph, the Guardian, the Daily Mail, The Times and The Sun as well as The Sunday Telegraph, The Observer, The Sunday Times, The Mail on Sunday and the Sun on Sunday.

We would like to thank you in advance for your understanding. Please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff at your local Waitrose if you have any questions.
    • Sunny Saver
    • By Sunny Saver 20th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 95,130 Thanks
    Sunny Saver
    And no doubt soon weekend spend will have to be £15.

I agree that customer services has gone downhill.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 21st Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 27,739 Posts
    • 17,517 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Oh dear, my father in law won't be happy
    Originally posted by gwa1981
    Why is that then ?

Just spend the £10 and you have your hot drink.

Was bound to happen at some point.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 21-10-2016 at 7:43 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Smidster
    • By Smidster 21st Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Smidster
    Why is that then ?

Just spend the £10 and you have your hot drink.

Was bound to happen at some point.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I don't think any of us are "happy" with the changes. The extent to which you are unhappy will dictate whether you continue to shop at Waitrose.

We will see if there is any customer reaction to this (or any other perk) perk removal in the medium term. There are some really interesting psychology studies about price and in particular charging for something that used to be free. We get annoyed by something going from £1 to £1.50 but detest something going from 0 to 5p

I often used to see people get other stuff with the coffee so how much of that trade will be affected - e.g. croissants in the morning?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,789Posts Today

6,532Users online

Martin's Twitter