Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsFlu
    • By MrsFlu 12th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MrsFlu
    ESA and partner's WFI
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    ESA and partner's WFI 12th Oct 16 at 5:02 PM
    Hi

I've been on ESA (WR) for years and am claiming for my husband as well. My husband has been invited to a WFI.

He's 57 and been unemployed for 15 years. This being the case he's started a business which, currently, is making a loss. He's rather miffed at being invited to this interview since they know he has his business although, of course, he's keeping within the hours permitted.

I probably shouldn't ask, but does anyone know what sort of thing goes on at a WFI and what sort of questions they ask? My husband'll blow a gasket if they start telling him how to look for work or courses he can go on. He's committed to making his business a going concern and desperate to get us off benefits (not that they're interested).
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 12th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 7,076 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    Is there a reason that he has been unemployed 15 years?

If not, then really he should be working alongside starting a business (as most do until the business are viable), especially if it's making a loss, in my opinion. I'm not surprised they're looking at his case closely if he's been unemployed 15 years (if there's not a reason) and now running a business making a loss.
    Suvery Earnings 2016 - £188
    • MrsFlu
    • By MrsFlu 12th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrsFlu
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    Additional information
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    He's American and initially (ie for the first 9 years here) there were problems with his visa (the HO lost his paperwork, that sort of thing). Now he has right to work but has been out of things for so long it's doubtful he'd get employment (cabinet/upholstery business).
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 12th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 1,086 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    Whilst blowing that gasket perhaps he could be reminded who has paid for his lifestyle for the past however many years.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 19,195 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    (ie for the first 9 years here)
    What about the last six?

Blowing a gasket? Crumbs! If you expect to claim benefits for him, then he/you will need to comply with the rules/requirements!
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 12th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Bananas123
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    hello,

they gather details from you, and then start a "action plan" or correct term.

then they may suggest activity towards "helping" you back to work etc,

-------------------

it's basically not much different from being sat across the table from a job centre person a la jobseekers allowance, but instead of "seeking work", it's activity to "enable you to seek work", like volunteering, basic education, skills courses.

but he can't go in "guns blazing" (nationality pun), or with a "i am not doing that" attitude, because you have to do it to recieve the benefit.

that is what has been my experience of,

regards
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 12th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Bananas123
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    sorry, need to add:

they are not there to be !!!!!!!s to you, or force you to do things etc etc

it is much much smoother and better to be compliant, and then try "brain storm" with them about the activity, baring in mind, you might have to see them up to more regularly then you have been doing anyway...

they could be a really nice, helpful person, for example and there might be something of benefit there, like if he would like to improve I.T. skills and whatnot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

7,894Users online

Martin's Twitter