Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 12th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 41Thanks
    MSE Luke
    App-based banking is this the future?
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    App-based banking is this the future? 12th Oct 16 at 4:53 PM
    'The future of banking, available today." That's the bold message adorning the homepage of newly-formed Atom Bank...'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 20-10-2016 at 3:15 PM.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 11,334 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    I hope not, because I don't really trust apps for something as vital as banking, and don't yet use any.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 12th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 8,911 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    I tend to only use apps so definitely the future. Far easier than needing to go to website. Frustrating with banks that don't offer functional apps.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • djpailo
    • By djpailo 12th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    djpailo
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    I stopped reading after you mentioned Atom Bank. The app is laughable. It was created by a group of people who put form ahead of function. It genuinely feels like an app for kids...

Onto the actual app itself, given the recent issues with voice recognition, why would I trust facial recognition systems with this app? Why don't atom bank offer any online services, why does it all need to be through an app?

Apps will never replace online banking. Apps will always be useful for those that need it, but there will always be a time and a place when you need to sit at your computer and use a more functional website, or visit your branch, to sort something out.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    App based banking is probably the future but it all depends on how soon the future gets here. I'm currently using the Soldo pre-paid Debit Mastercard which is completely app based and I don't have any problem with it at all.

But it's a different matter with so-called challenger banks and the promised full banking service in an app. Starling Bank looks to be the furthest ahead but is still engaged in crowing about passing milestones on the way to a full banking service but nothing more than that.

Overall, the future may be distant.
    Saving for Xmas 2017 - A pound a day - 30/365

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you

Unsliced bread: You can have it any thickness you want! The wonders of modern technology.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,269Posts Today

6,504Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted to see the House of Lords taking up to cudgels to fight the disgraceful retrospective hike in student loa? https://t.co/buXWSlgXoj

• RT @politicshome: Cabinet splits on foreign students re-emerge as Amber Rudd admits there are 'differing views' https://t.co/XYivypL5Cc htt?

• For me capping the number of legitimate foreign Uni students is a mistake. Its one of our strong exports & boosts UK soft power around world

• Follow Martin