Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carlife
    • By carlife 12th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    carlife
    Facing living in my car. HELP
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    Facing living in my car. HELP 12th Oct 16 at 4:24 PM
    Right now my life is going to POT.

A few days ago I now found out the friend I'm staying with informally has to make way for his heavily pregnant cousin and her partner. So I'm out on Saturday. Completely unexpected, he didn't expect this situation either. I'll spare you the sob story!

Anyway, to complicate matters, I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago. Crushing.

So the first thing I did was run over to the council about housing, basically they told me to go away as I'm physically OK (mentally, so-so but that's another subject they can't help me) the only real suggestion was to seek private accommodation on the billboards of the local polish food store...

So I've looked into that, and spareroom and the overwhelming response I get is unless you're in work, GO away. As soon as I mention housing benefit I'm met with deaf ears. Nobody wants to know, it's as if I've shouted h**l hit*r. I'm so frustrated with that. Are these landlords perception of the unemployed and homeless as all druggies and alcoholics! My god..I'm a professional with no history of subsistence misuse.

So it seems like my only plan B is the car. I'm already preparing it, bought a sleeping back, going to tint the windows. But as someone who has never done this before, I'm freaking out thinking my god, am I actually going to live in my car (ahem, Vauxhall Corsa). I'm going mental. The only saving grace is I won't be stuck in a damp, overcrowded dorm and paying £300-400 per/month.

What options do I have, thanks...

God I wish I was making this all up..
Page 2
    • Bonniepurple
    • By Bonniepurple 14th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Bonniepurple
    Assuming that this is genuine, there are plenty of house shares for less than £400pcm in Gloucester and Cheltenham. There's also 1 bed flats at just over 400pcm. Put down 6 months rent and you should be fine.

Alternatively, if you are young, there is a charity called Gloucestershire Nightstop which offers a bed for a night. That is more for those who have nowhere else to go- -and not the level of savings you have.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 14th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 4,998 Posts
    • 3,799 Thanks
    prosaver
    I would get a camper van and travel to a warm country or take a long 3 month holiday..it might work out cheaper .or .tenerife hotel long stay ..might work out cheaper.. google it,
    make it a adventure, instead of living in a freezing car in the uk
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • bilbodreams
    • By bilbodreams 15th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bilbodreams
    The world is your oyster. You are young and phisically able. You have a degree and you have 6000 pounds in savings. You have a car and driving license.
    In fact I think you are ahead of the game in many ways.
    I am sure you'll be able to rent a room somewhere, you'll have to pay for it but better than sleeping in the car.
    Then find a job, even if it means having to relocate a few miles.
    Also, you could try and find a job where the accommodation is included, ie hotel, a country house etc.
    When I was younger there was this magazine called "The Lady" with jobs like that, I don't know if the magazine is still about but surely you can find an "in between" job till you get your ideal job.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 16th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    always_sunny
    Nearly 30 - to be honest I hate to use the word professional as it makes me feel like I'm bragging, but my background is in technology, went to uni blah blah blah. I'm in the Gloucestershire region. Haven't thought of guarantors, do you mean for purchasing a home? Although I could put down a fairly sizable deposit with my savings (6k) butI doubt any mortgage lender would care less considering I don't have an income at present.

I'm just so utterly embarrassing about this situation, explaining the situation to friends for help would probably test whether they are actually friends. Big time. The only comfort I get is the relative anonymity here.

I'm hopeful that my friends cousin has her kid, and her and the partner are able to get out pronto (either the council option or some other way) as a single homeless man, the odds are totally against me it seems...Will try Shelter.
    Originally posted by carlife
    Very bizarre thread to be honest; very unfortunately situation though "What would you like to do long term?". If you're willing to pay upfront you should be able to find some sort of accommodation, and then?

For a young professional it seems already odd to be crashing at his mate's house indefinitely unless there's something more to your story.
    here on an EU passport.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,126Users online

Martin's Twitter