Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carlife
    • By carlife 12th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    carlife
    Facing living in my car. HELP
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    Facing living in my car. HELP 12th Oct 16 at 4:24 PM
    Right now my life is going to POT.

A few days ago I now found out the friend I'm staying with informally has to make way for his heavily pregnant cousin and her partner. So I'm out on Saturday. Completely unexpected, he didn't expect this situation either. I'll spare you the sob story!

Anyway, to complicate matters, I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago. Crushing.

So the first thing I did was run over to the council about housing, basically they told me to go away as I'm physically OK (mentally, so-so but that's another subject they can't help me) the only real suggestion was to seek private accommodation on the billboards of the local polish food store...

So I've looked into that, and spareroom and the overwhelming response I get is unless you're in work, GO away. As soon as I mention housing benefit I'm met with deaf ears. Nobody wants to know, it's as if I've shouted h**l hit*r. I'm so frustrated with that. Are these landlords perception of the unemployed and homeless as all druggies and alcoholics! My god..I'm a professional with no history of subsistence misuse.

So it seems like my only plan B is the car. I'm already preparing it, bought a sleeping back, going to tint the windows. But as someone who has never done this before, I'm freaking out thinking my god, am I actually going to live in my car (ahem, Vauxhall Corsa). I'm going mental. The only saving grace is I won't be stuck in a damp, overcrowded dorm and paying £300-400 per/month.

What options do I have, thanks...

God I wish I was making this all up..
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 12th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    A few nights in the car would not be the end of the world for you if you are fit and healthy, With winter around the corner I would aim for a short term thing of preferably a few days at most so keep on hunting for place either in the local papers and or shop windows.

Then keep on looking for work at the same time anything even part time if it gets you going for now and then look to expand on this.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 12th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 20,484 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    Do you have money for a deposit and first months rent if you can find a room to rent? Could you possibly sell the car and use that money, rather than living in it?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 8,849 Posts
    • 11,855 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    Contact Shelter without delay.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 12th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    ap1985
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    Oh dear...I am really sad to hear about your situation....I am actually equally surprised that the council cannot help you....do you have any friends/family that may be able to assist?

What area/city are you from?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 10,869 Posts
    • 30,605 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    I'm not that surprised - Councils/this friend/quite a few seem to put single childless people at the back of the queue.

How are the Housing Associations in your area?

What about other friends - besides the one that has just let you down? Do any of them have a spare bedroom and might be glad of a lodger (this time on a more formal basis - to make it that bit harder for kicking out in favour of the f*ckless).

Perhaps a few more details about your personal situation might help us come up with ideas? When you say "professional" do you mean solicitor/accountant/etc or "doing office jobs - rather than manual jobs"? What sort of agegroup are you? What sort of area do you live in? Have you got anyone prepared to be a guarantor for you?
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • carlife
    • By carlife 12th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    carlife
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    I'm not that surprised - Councils/this friend/quite a few seem to put single childless people at the back of the queue.

How are the Housing Associations in your area?

What about other friends - besides the one that has just let you down? Do any of them have a spare bedroom and might be glad of a lodger (this time on a more formal basis - to make it that bit harder for kicking out in favour of the f*ckless).

Perhaps a few more details about your personal situation might help us come up with ideas? When you say "professional" do you mean solicitor/accountant/etc or "doing office jobs - rather than manual jobs"? What sort of agegroup are you? What sort of area do you live in? Have you got anyone prepared to be a guarantor for you?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Nearly 30 - to be honest I hate to use the word professional as it makes me feel like I'm bragging, but my background is in technology, went to uni blah blah blah. I'm in the Gloucestershire region. Haven't thought of guarantors, do you mean for purchasing a home? Although I could put down a fairly sizable deposit with my savings (6k) butI doubt any mortgage lender would care less considering I don't have an income at present.

I'm just so utterly embarrassing about this situation, explaining the situation to friends for help would probably test whether they are actually friends. Big time. The only comfort I get is the relative anonymity here.

I'm hopeful that my friends cousin has her kid, and her and the partner are able to get out pronto (either the council option or some other way) as a single homeless man, the odds are totally against me it seems...Will try Shelter.
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 12th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    ap1985
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    I am not sure a mortgage would be an option at present. But surely if you have a fairly sizeable deposit you may be able to find private rented property with your savings as an guarantee or upfront payment?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 10,869 Posts
    • 30,605 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    By guarantor I mean someone who will be willing to be a guarantor for rent. Students usually need a guarantor, for instance, that is willing and able to pay the rent if they can't or won't.

I'm afraid I can't see it would be possible to buy a place in your current situation and Gloucestershire is basically expensive Southern England.

Back onto topic of vehicle converting - if the worst comes to the worst I would be wondering about what possibility there might be for buying a van and doing a conversion of sorts on that and sell the van on once your life is on a more even keel. I had a workman friend that travels across the country and who astonished me once by telling me how he "kips down on" a mattress in the back of his van when he's working elsewhere in the country. I think my jaw had dropped open too wide at the time he said that to ask what he does about things like washing/cooking/etc....

I guess that would be your personal worst case analysis until back in work.

At a practical level - have you got suitable contact details to give to would-be employers when it comes to asking for jobs? I think that let-down friend owes you the chance to at least use his address still as somewhere you can receive post until you're settled.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • gld73
    • By gld73 12th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    gld73
    With £6k savings, you have the option of paying e.g. 6 months rent up front - that might encourage landlords to have flexibility on their "no unemployed" rules.

Otherwise, as a previous poster pointed out, Shelter is the best source of info. There are a few homeless hostels around - I had some contact with Emmaus in Gloucester a while ago in a previous job and their place seemed good, but Shelter should be able to help point you in the right direction.
    • HouseBuyer77
    • By HouseBuyer77 12th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    HouseBuyer77
    I would have thought with £6k savings you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone who would take you in as a lodger where you pay a decent whack of the rent in advance (for a lodger agreement I don't think you'd want to offer 6 months in advance, maybe you could go for 2?). Not everyone is obssessed with housing benefit and will judge you based on you as an individual. If you can demonstrate you have savings and your professional skills make long-term unemployment highly unlikely it shouldn't be too hard. You'll just need to do some ringing around.
    • dlmcr
    • By dlmcr 12th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    dlmcr
    The title of this thread is a bit dramatic considering OP has 6k in savings! Goodness me!
    I have been in the situation when I was younger and adventurous to just roll up in a new city with no job and knowing nobody and just take on a 6 month AST on a flat. Never had a problem getting a flat as long as I put 6 mongths rent up front, and this was with reputable high street agents, I'm sure with somewhat more dodgy / sleazy landlords you could probably get away with a couple of months upfront or as mentioned as a lodger.
    Anyway I wouldn't want to be sleeping in a car with winter coming up in this country. It is sort of semi fun in summer (until the novelty wears off) not so much in our winter temeratures.
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 12th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    With 6k in savings find a spare room probably what £400 max a month £2400 for 6 months!?
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 12th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    OP I am surprised that you think sleeping in your car is better than a dorm room, this will likely continue the cycle of homelessness. Check the cost of local youth hostels including private rooms. Your savings could easily buy you a month while you look at finding somewhere private.

With that sort of capital you could also look at agency jobs anywhere in the country, get a hostel room for the first couple of weeks then find a lodging room. My ex partner used to pick a new area of the country when he got fed up, roll up to the area with his IT skills, live in a hostel week one and two, rent a room by week three and stay for year or so. Worked for him for a long time.

Gloucester is extremely expensive and there is lower unemployment and a hot housing market so people round there can tend to be snobby and picky. I moved from the Southwest to the Midlands and initially lived somewhere extremely cheap. Its very doable.

Good luck!
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 12th Oct 16, 10:05 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I'd be finding a cheap bnb or travel lodge before thinking of sleeping in the car for a couple of weeks. Trawl gumtree or room rent websites. You likely need a landlord renting on a less than official basis, and short notice availability, which is perfectly ok for your needs as long as you don't end up sharing with raving weirdos! Good luck.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 12th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    boliston
    Just been reading an article on quora about a blogger who actually lived in a car through choice
    https://www.quora.com/Would-becoming-homeless-be-a-good-strategy-to-cut-costs-1/answer/Kurt-Varner?srid=uTE6A
    • bmthmark
    • By bmthmark 13th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    bmthmark
    Blimey I thought this was bad until I read about the £6k savings lol
    Just go to a travellodge for a few nights and in the meantime search for a job and a room to rent.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 13th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    I wouldn't do Travelode, they are actually quite expensive, unles you go to one miles out of town.

Find a B&B or hostel for a few nights...
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 13th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    Bossypants
    AirBnB might be your best short-term bet.
    Mortgage Overpayment Aim - £20,000 in 2016
    Progress: £1/20,000
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,408 Thanks
    Guest101
    So the first thing I did was run over to the council about housing, basically they told me to go away as I'm physically OK (mentally, so-so but that's another subject they can't help me) the only real suggestion was to seek private accommodation on the billboards of the local polish food store...

Too right they cant help you, you've got £6,000 in your account. Cant believe that this was even a consideration!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter