Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Lbuk
    • By Lbuk 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Neighbour insisting on invading privacy?
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    Neighbour insisting on invading privacy? 12th Oct 16 at 4:06 PM

Long story short. Neighbour objected to me doing work on a hedge on their boundary and in particular a tree within the hedge. We're in a conservation area so they added stipulations like using a professional and they complained when we maintained the work after the permission expired. Really petty things.

We then had some work done in the back yard which left the boundary a bit exposed but we figured we'd put a fence up. We are vulnerable because they are on higher ground.

In the meantime they seemed to be further exposing the boundary and then they objected to the fence. The list of objections was at least 10 items including difficulty of weeding around the fence!

Regardless we were granted permission which was common sense really but we've just received notice of them applying to heavily chop the "precious" hedge tree.

This will reopen the boundary at a different point.

It is really starting to feel harassing. We have young children and it's all a bit weird.

Everything we want to do is complicated by them and now they're acting to undo our efforts to achieve privacy. Every time we have tradesmen to the house they approach them too.

Is there anything I can do?
Page 1
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 12th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    There are things you can do, if having a word with them isn't going to work then anything else will cost you either directly or indirectly.

You have young children, are they of school age and if so are you there because of a certain school? Moving maybe the best option.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 36,392 Posts
    • 39,919 Thanks
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    Bake a cake.

Invite then to tea ad si down and discuss each problem amicably. Try to see their side of the issue and explain your side to them.

Resorting to the law, or to tit-for-tat is nit the way to go with neighboure disputes
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 12th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    Or bang a fence up all the way around your garden and let them do what they like with their bushes/trees!
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 13th Oct 16, 8:37 AM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:37 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:37 AM
    Can u plant fast growing hedge on ur side of garden?
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 13th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    Plant some Lliandi .
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,219Posts Today

6,158Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin