Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HellMouth
    • By HellMouth 12th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    HellMouth
    Renting with a satisfied CCJ
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    Renting with a satisfied CCJ 12th Oct 16 at 3:55 PM
    Hello,

I'm sure this has been posted about before, and I have done a lot of googling, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice based on personal experience,

My partner and I are trying to move house with our son, who is only a few months old.

We have a combined annual income of £45k, which is more than enough to rent in the area we like.

My partner has a clean credit history and loads of money saved, which we can provide evidence for.

The main issue is my credit rating. I have a satisfied CCJ of £571. It was issued in 2012, and I paid it off almost exactly a year ago. I know that the agency will see it when doing credit referencing, but I am hoping that, as long as everything else is fine, they will not reject our application. I can also provide good landlord and work references. Literally the only issue with my application will be the CCJ.

How much of a problem do you think the CCJ will be? Will we need a guarantor or need to pay some rent upfront?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    Hi HellMouth and welcome to MSE,

Each estate agent and private landlord will be different, and have their own checks and policies about this sort of thing. You could call them and ask some general questions to test the waters, before having any searches on your credit file. Or even consider having the tenancy in your partners sole name, until the CCJ is older or comes off your file completely in 2018.

However, if there is an issue, you already seem to be aware of the solutions. More rent upfront, more references or possibly a guarantor. It sounds as though at least 2 of the 3 solutions would be achievable for you. I am sure you will be able to sort it.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • ukamber1
    • By ukamber1 12th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    ukamber1
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    Hello,

I'm sure this has been posted about before, and I have done a lot of googling, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice based on personal experience,

My partner and I are trying to move house with our son, who is only a few months old.

We have a combined annual income of £45k, which is more than enough to rent in the area we like.

My partner has a clean credit history and loads of money saved, which we can provide evidence for.

The main issue is my credit rating. I have a satisfied CCJ of £571. It was issued in 2012, and I paid it off almost exactly a year ago. I know that the agency will see it when doing credit referencing, but I am hoping that, as long as everything else is fine, they will not reject our application. I can also provide good landlord and work references. Literally the only issue with my application will be the CCJ.

How much of a problem do you think the CCJ will be? Will we need a guarantor or need to pay some rent upfront?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by HellMouth
    Hi, I dont think the "settled" CCJ should stop you renting. The important thing is to be open and honest on any forms....Any landlord references you have will also be a big help, they might even ask for your last 2 landlord references just to confirm you have been good tenants in the past. I've rented with a Bankruptcy on my credit report. The estate agents forms asked if I am or have ever been made bankrupt and I was just very open with them. The credit checks came back showing the bankruptcy and the Letting agents asked if I could get a guarantor. I didnt want to use a guarantor so just asked the letting agent to speak with the Landlord and explained the situation....I was able to show excellent ref's from the last few Landlords and everything was sorted out. It really does depend on the agent and even more so the Landlord and as mentioned in thread, at worst, you might need to offer 3 months upfront or a little higher deposit but I'm sure you will be be to get round the issue..

Best of luck
    Last edited by ukamber1; 12-10-2016 at 8:10 PM.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 12th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 5,325 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    The problem is none of these crooked rental agencies will tell you what a pass criteria is for the £4 credit check they charge £250 for.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,838Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin