Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 12th Oct 16, 3:16 PM
    • 1,172Posts
    • 2,742Thanks
    Claree__x
    Mail Redirection
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:16 PM
    Mail Redirection 12th Oct 16 at 3:16 PM
    Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, will delete if necessary.

We've recently moved back in with my parents until our (delayed) newbuild flat is ready - which is apparently 6 - 8 weeks from when the work starts, start date still to be determined! I've paid for 6 months mail redirection to my mum's address which should avoid me having to change most things and then change them again but I'm just wondering if there's anything that I really should change, DVLA springs to mind?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 3,412 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    Criminal offence not to tell DVLA, I think. Most things aren't too much hassle, so I would just do it rather than worry (redirection isn't foolproof).
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    Claree__x
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    Criminal offence not to tell DVLA, I think. Most things aren't too much hassle, so I would just do it rather than worry (redirection isn't foolproof).
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    You're probably right, it's just the thought of doing it now and then again in 3 months time (optimistic!). I suppose if I write all the letters now I can just re-jig them without too much hassle.
    • Thanetia
    • By Thanetia 12th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Thanetia
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    You can do it online -

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 12th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 20,293 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    Didn't Royal Mail/Post Office introduce a policy where any mail from a government department was returned to sender and not redirected?

If you get any benefits you should also notify the relevant department(s) as well, and also tell the council you have moved out and get a final council tax bill, as well as cancel any utilities - gas, electric, landline, broadband, water - and get final bills from them as well. Anything else it's safe to redirect.

Edit - you don't need to give the utilities your new address, just tell them all your mail is being redirected and you are off on holiday for the next 3 months and will find somewhere to live when you return.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 17,234 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    Didn't Royal Mail/Post Office introduce a policy where any mail from a government department was returned to sender and not redirected?
    Originally posted by D_M_E
    Kind of. It appears it is a law rather than a RM policy. From RM redirection terms:

There are laws that prevent us from redirecting certain items. There are also laws that require us to return certain items to the sender and we may need to inform the authorities of this (for example, mail from government departments related to benefits).
    And

We are required by law to inform certain authorities when a Redirection is in place, including the Department for Work and
    Pensions, other government departments and local authorities.

• cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    Originally posted by Thanetia
    Let's not forget the vehicle logbook
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 12th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    The return to sender one is generally for benefit claims especially housing benefit (LHA)- for obvious reasons. The envelopes have it written all over them usually.
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 13th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    Claree__x
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    Thanks everyone.

No benefits and I've already informed council tax, utilities etc and given them a forwarding address - I was more thinking for things I rarely get mail from like professional bodies/mobile phone companies?

Considering the ones that I will have to change (bank etc) I think I'd probably be as well just doing all of them.

As an aside, I tried the DVLA change address online and it was flipping useless! Asked for loads of info, got to the end and it said there was an error and to try again later or send a paper form. I'll give it another bash but I can always pick up a form in the post office if need be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter