Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ojivar1975
    • By Ojivar1975 12th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Ojivar1975
    NHS Travel Costs - Jobcentre Ignorning Me
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    NHS Travel Costs - Jobcentre Ignorning Me 12th Oct 16 at 3:13 PM
    Hi all

I had to attend a hospital appointment back in August and was required to bring my partner with me as it could potentially be unsafe for me to travel back alone.
    Being unable to drive the train costs came to £22 (money I simply don't have right now!)

At the time I was awaiting a decision from ESA regarding benefits so I did not have an awards letter. However once the letter arrived it clearly stated the start date.

So I filled in an NHS form HC5(T) This one:
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Documents/2016/HC5(T).pdf

The form clearly states if you are recieving income based esa to send the form to your local job centre so this is what I did, along with the train tickets and photocopies of my award letter and the doctors referral letter.

This was about 4 weeks ago and having heard nothing I called the job centre today,

I was told that "that form is nothing to do with us"
    I said but it says to send it to you and was told "We cannot be held responsible for what someone elses form says".
    I asked does that mean they will have just thrown the claim in the bin? He said "probably, yes as it is nothing to do with us"

So I went on facebook and chatted to the NHS team who told me yes it has to be sent to the jobcentre to be completed before being forwarded to them. They couldn't understand why the jobcentre were refusing to deal with it.

I can't try and claim again as I sent the original train tickets in the first claim so I appreciate I may have lost out this time but I cannot believe I am the first person to have sent this form to the place I was supposed to send it. The jobcentre seemed genuinely perplexed as to what it had to do with them!

Anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,408 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    Pretty sure you claim on the day from the hospital
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 12th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    dippy3103
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    I think the jobcentre possibly have to sign it if you don't have an award letter.
    Did you pay for the train tickets with a debit card?
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    Yes, JCPs stamp various forms (including Student Loans Company deferrals etc).

The BDC (Benefit Delivery Centres) will also post you a letter confirming you are in receipt of benefits if you request this in writing.

No idea why the JCP employee told you that. He must be new.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Ojivar1975
    • By Ojivar1975 12th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ojivar1975
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    Pretty sure you claim on the day from the hospital
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Indeed you can, but at the time of the appointment I did not have a claim letter as was still awaiting for the esa decision.
    • Ojivar1975
    • By Ojivar1975 13th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ojivar1975
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    I think the jobcentre possibly have to sign it if you don't have an award letter.
    Did you pay for the train tickets with a debit card?
    Originally posted by dippy3103
    Good idea, I have searched my bank statements and annoyingly I must have paid in cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,987Posts Today

6,148Users online

Martin's Twitter