Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VodkaSorbet
    • By VodkaSorbet 12th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 794Thanks
    VodkaSorbet
    Queries on terms in new job contract
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    Queries on terms in new job contract 12th Oct 16 at 3:01 PM
    I've recently received the paperwork for a job I've been offered and there are 2 points in the contract I have not seen before so wondering if these are standard terms.

It's a Monday-Friday 9 - 5 office job in a software company, exactly the same as the one I'm currently in, and the previous 3 jobs I've had, none of which have had these things in the contract.

I don't want to ask the employer directly at this stage as I don't want to seem to be demanding before I've even started work!

1. In addition to your normal hours of work, you are required to work any necessary additional hours for the proper performance of your duties. (I've had flexibility in hours mentioned before in contracts but never completely open-ended like this - seems open to abuse?).
    2. You are entitled to a 60 minute unpaid break. (This is the only mention of breaks. I've never had an unpaid break specified before - does this mean if I take up to 60 minutes at lunch time I have to work that much extra beyond 5pm? Hours are stated as 9 - 5 in the contract.)

Thanks for any comments!
Page 1
    • dranzer01
    • By dranzer01 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dranzer01
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    i think 60 min unpaid break is referring to lunch... so 9-5 is 8 hours (minus 60 minutes break = 7 hours) as standard

if you wanna clarify that with them; do so -

Number one was in my contract also (but not verbatim like that) ... its just saying 'we want you to be as flexible as possible to do ADDITIONAL hours beyond the 5pm threshold'....

nothing about the 2 points seem drastic or weird in my eyes......
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 12th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    MataNui
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    1st one is pretty standard in technology companies. I am surprised you have not had one before. If you are customer facing software then you wouldnt just walk out at 5pm if the site was down for example. I work as a software developer for a major internet business. I normally finish at 4:30 but have been known to still be at the computer till almost 8 occasionally. You dont leave something broken for customers or even on a test environment if other teams will be relying on it.

2nd one looks like it means a 60 min lunch. Its just the way its worded. 9-5 with an hour for lunch is pretty generous hours.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    Pretty standard really, Im an accountant so there are certain points in the year where our work load is a lot heavier & as a result we work extra hours.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Item 1, is pretty standard either in that form or a variation of it.

Item 2, is basically saying you are paid for a 35 hour working week. I don't necessarily agree that it's "pretty generous hours". Those hours are pretty much standard these days. I had a standard 35 hour working week for most of my working life. My wife has done since 1980.
    • VodkaSorbet
    • By VodkaSorbet 12th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    VodkaSorbet
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    Thanks for replies.

On point 1 as I said I have had similar in previous contracts and fully appreciate the need to be flexible after 15 years in the business, but it was the specific wording of ANY (implying completely unlimited) extra hours which took me by surprise.

On point 2 it was the fact that it says unpaid which I was unclear about, which suggested to me it is effectively 9-6 with 1 hour for lunch. My previous contracts have stated it in this format eg my current one is 9 - 5 with half an hour for lunch.

I will clarify the latter with them.

Thanks again.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 56,009 Posts
    • 321,799 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    1. Yes, you need to be careful with this. What happens in real life will depend on how reasonable/unreasonable the boss and company are - and whether they're bad employers or good. In the main, it's hoped this means 10 minutes, one day, 3x a year maybe.... at worst you'll be in at 8, there until 7-8, no lunchbreak and still go in at weekends.

2. It means you work 9-5 with an hour (unpaid) for lunch, so you work for 7 hours/day.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 13th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    1. Yes, you need to be careful with this. What happens in real life will depend on how reasonable/unreasonable the boss and company are - and whether they're bad employers or good. In the main, it's hoped this means 10 minutes, one day, 3x a year maybe.... at worst you'll be in at 8, there until 7-8, no lunchbreak and still go in at weekends.

2. It means you work 9-5 with an hour (unpaid) for lunch, so you work for 7 hours/day.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It certainly doesn't mean 10 minutes one day three times a year. If you are working in software and you come in at dead on 9 and leave at dead on 5, that means you actually stopped working about 4:30 in order to make sure you weren't in the middle of something by 5.
    Good companies are flexible and don't particularly worry about the clock so if you habitually work late they don't mind if you come in late, or leave an hour early some days. But you are not going to do well in any environment of this type if you think you are going to be working 9 to 5 like someone paid by the hour.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,911Users online

Martin's Twitter