Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sacha28
    • By sacha28 12th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 710Posts
    • 1,109Thanks
    sacha28
    Flipping Royal Mail!
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    Flipping Royal Mail! 12th Oct 16 at 2:55 PM
    A couple of weeks ago I walked into my hallway to find a 'sorry we missed you' card stuffed through the letterbox. I was in, didn't hear postman knock (front door next to lounge) but gave benefit of doubt and re-arranged delivery for the following Tuesday.

Tuesday arrives, I'm sat on my sofa talking on the phone and watch the postman walk past my front room window with a letter in his hand, nothing else. I finished my call and looked at the clock to see how long I'd been on the phone....10.22am. Went to the front door to retrieve the letter to find another 'sorry we missed you' card stating that he had tried to deliver my parcel at 10.30am, so almost 10mins after he walked past.

I'm so flipping annoyed, I now have to make a 20 mile round trip to the sorting office.

Rant over....as you were
Page 1
    • DD265
    • By DD265 12th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    DD265
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    I complained to Royal Mail recently that on several different occasions, they'd failed to deliver to me (as in, an immediate card to the letterbox in the post room) despite the fact that I was working from home. My neighbour had been experiencing the same.

Royal Mail actually told me that the delivery point was the letterbox in the post room - downstairs. Funnily enough that's an otherwise empty room, nobody lives/works there. So basically, if it won't go in the letter box or it needs a signature, they are supposed to just leave a card rather than going to knock on a door.

I tried to counter with "what about special delivery, where a premium is paid for a guaranteed delivery slot" but I don't think I got anywhere.

I was really cross at the time but I've either gotten over it now or I don't recall it happening for a while.
    Barclaycard: £1895.61/£2907.26 - 35% paid
    MBNA: £2,613.57/£3866.92 - 32% paid
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 12th Oct 16, 9:32 PM
    • 24,250 Posts
    • 29,879 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:32 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:32 PM
    I've noticed that this seems to apply to all the couriers as well, not just RM.
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 13th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    Warning: If you make a complaint about your post person be prepared for some of your letters to go missing or have a few days delay on them arriving.
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    Warning: If you make a complaint about your post person be prepared for some of your letters to go missing or have a few days delay on them arriving.
    That used to be the reason for tipping binmen at Xmas, for fear your rubbish wouldn't be collected or thrown on your path.
    I think it is a bad idea in general to go to war with the postman and ours is friendly and helpful but If I chose to then I would keep a log and complain repeatedly to the relevant manager going higher each time if necessary.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    I have watched the postman do this, not to me, but to a neighbour. he didn't even ring the bell!
    No idea what it is all about. Do you have the same posty? Or sometimes if they are off, someone has to do two rounds.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 17th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    I expect the posties are under extreme time pressure, and that usually comes from above. In the same situation, I'd write to the manager of my delivery office, detailing my complaints about the service. Maybe if enough people write, they might listen and things will change.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 22nd Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 22nd Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 22nd Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    I complain about 3 times a year and only then because I notice deliveries slow down during the week if not things being returned to sender as well.

When I say slow down I no deliveries on specific days of the weeks each time normally Tuesday and Thursday and Friday, depending on how long I wait till complaining the second I do my deliveries are back to daily for another few months (at least till now as last complained a month ago)

And its not just me being a little paranoid and noticing the same days of week each time, my neighbours say the same things about their deliveries.
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 23rd Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Laz123
    • 23rd Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    • 23rd Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    You could have run after the postman, showed the card and he would have handed over the parcel.
    I like life. It's something to do.

Ronnie Shakes
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 23rd Oct 16, 8:17 AM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 14,191 Thanks
    Pennywise
    You could have run after the postman, showed the card and he would have handed over the parcel.
    Originally posted by Laz123
    Probably not. We've had cards left without ringing/knocking and chased the postie only to be told the item was back in the sorting office. The card had been written before he got to my door - he didn't stand there long enough to write it. We've had all kinds of lame excuses such as them thinking we were on holiday or assuming we'd not be in on a Saturday -they seem to have an excuse ready for when they're challenged on this.

They lie on Amazon "tracked" deliveries too. Such as putting a parcel down as delivered when they've been nowhere near and then bringing it a day or two later.
    Last edited by Pennywise; 23-10-2016 at 8:22 AM.
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 24th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Laz123
    Probably not. We've had cards left without ringing/knocking and chased the postie only to be told the item was back in the sorting office. The card had been written before he got to my door - he didn't stand there long enough to write it. We've had all kinds of lame excuses such as them thinking we were on holiday or assuming we'd not be in on a Saturday -they seem to have an excuse ready for when they're challenged on this.

They lie on Amazon "tracked" deliveries too. Such as putting a parcel down as delivered when they've been nowhere near and then bringing it a day or two later.
    Originally posted by Pennywise
    I've heard similar stories where they leave the parcels at the sorting office and leave those 'lying' cards. I suppose it depends on the area or integrity of the postie, though I've chased after a postie, gave the card and got the parcel.
    I like life. It's something to do.

Ronnie Shakes
    • me1234
    • By me1234 4th Nov 16, 4:23 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    me1234
    The postmen never ring the doorbell, they always just assume no one is in! Has happened to me numerous times when I'm in the house, but never hear the doorbell, and when I go to check the post its always 'we missed you' grrrrrrrrrr
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Nov 16, 5:45 PM
    • 27,713 Posts
    • 17,508 Thanks
    DCFC79
    The postmen never ring the doorbell, they always just assume no one is in! Has happened to me numerous times when I'm in the house, but never hear the doorbell, and when I go to check the post its always 'we missed you' grrrrrrrrrr
    Originally posted by me1234
    Cant fault our postie.

Im never in when they call with a parcel so its left with a neighbour., if I am in I always get the parcel.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 4th Nov 16, 6:38 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I'm in the house, but never hear the doorbell
    Originally posted by me1234
    Get a hearing aid???
    • gazebo
    • By gazebo 5th Nov 16, 4:14 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    gazebo
    Or check the doorbell actually works
    • Gravedigger
    • By Gravedigger 5th Nov 16, 10:55 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Gravedigger
    In my local pub there are generally half a dozen or so posties in uniform, and carrying bags which look bulky enough to be containing items. It isn't an occasional thing, it's every day. Makes me wonder, but as they are not my postie who is reasonably good then I let them get on with it.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Nov 16, 7:53 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    In my local pub there are generally half a dozen or so posties in uniform, and carrying bags which look bulky enough to be containing items. It isn't an occasional thing, it's every day.
    Originally posted by Gravedigger
    Now that is truly shocking posties on a break..... whatever next? The cheeky blighters expecting a wage? Holidays?
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 6th Nov 16, 8:12 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 14,963 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Possibly the item is too heavy or bulky to be carried along with the postie's ordinary mail. Not that that's an acceptable excuse for lying, but maybe people should be using couriers for some deliveries rather than the postman.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 7th Nov 16, 10:13 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    Posties can have at least 5 - 9 bags to deliver on a single day, they are dropped off into containers on roads they have to walk.
    I believe they are not meant to carry more than 15kg per bag, but many managers use bully boy tactics to send out posties carrying nearly 30-50kg per bag, so next time you order something heavy online just remember who might be having to carry that to your door and have some respect.
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th Nov 16, 11:03 AM
    • 31,498 Posts
    • 26,159 Thanks
    custardy
    Posties can have at least 5 - 9 bags to deliver on a single day, they are dropped off into containers on roads they have to walk.
    I believe they are not meant to carry more than 15kg per bag, but many managers use bully boy tactics to send out posties carrying nearly 30-50kg per bag, so next time you order something heavy online just remember who might be having to carry that to your door and have some respect.
    Originally posted by fleshandbone
    More likely for a postie to be cutting corners & loading up.
    You describe an old delivery method. Far more deliveries are van based these days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter