Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 12th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 566Posts
    • 532Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    Freehold
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    Freehold 12th Oct 16 at 2:30 PM
    I am selling my house at the moment. There used to be a ground rent of £2 per year but around 12 years ago I paid £50 to buy the freehold.

I have had a solicitors letter today saying it states in the deeds about the peppercorn rent and if I cannot find the receipt to say I paid the £50 12 years ago I will have to pay again.

Is it not registered anywhere to say I bought it years ago? I'm sure when I have checked my property details online it states freehold.

Many thanks

Xx
Page 1
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 12th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    Did you have a solicitor deal with the purchase of the freehold?

Who did you pay £50 to?

Did you not get any documents such as a Land Registry Transfer in respect of the freehold? Did they produce evidence of their freehold title?

If you got such a transfer did you get it registered at the Land Registry?
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 12th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    I cannot remember to be honest Richard. My son was going through his second Bone Marrow Transplant at the time and the normal ground rent letter mentioned buying it for £50 so I wrote a cheque.

I know when I look at zoopla etc it states freehold on my house, does that mean it's been registered.

If need be I will have to pay up again but thought it was dealt with years ago.

Thanks for replying

Xx
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    Hi, is this any good to you?

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDT xN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/?_ga=1.256728834.829502695.1476283676

HTH.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 12th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    Many thanks for the link. I have just put in my postcode and house number and it is clearly showing freehold so does that mean it was all sorted many years ago?

Thanks again

Xx
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 37,082 Posts
    • 41,039 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    I cannot remember to be honest Richard. My son was going through his second Bone Marrow Transplant at the time and the normal ground rent letter mentioned buying it for £50 so I wrote a cheque.

I know when I look at zoopla etc it states freehold on my house, does that mean it's been registered.

If need be I will have to pay up again but thought it was dealt with years ago.

Thanks for replying

Xx
    Originally posted by ladymarmalade222
    Sounds a bit like the freeholder offered to sell you the freehold when he sent you the invoice, and you sent a cheque.

Whether the freeholder
    a) cashed the cheque and/or
    b) transferred the freehold to you in return
    is impossible for us to say!

Of course the property has a freehold Title - every property does. Whether it also (still) also has a lease is more relevant. Or whether YOU own the freehold.

Have you checked? £3 here.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 37,082 Posts
    • 41,039 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    Many thanks for the link. I have just put in my postcode and house number and it is clearly showing freehold so does that mean it was all sorted many years ago?

Thanks again

Xx
    No. Not unless your name is shown as the owner of the freehold. Pay £3 and find out!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    That's pretty much what I meant, sorry if I did not make myself clear. G_M to the rescue, again. Thanks.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 12th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    I have downloaded it and it doesn't say anywhere that I own the freehold. It still states the peppercorn rent.

It's not the end of the world, the solicitor has confirmed it will be 6 years at £2. I can live with that 😂

Thanks again
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I would suggest you need to get this sorted out. Surely a freehold property is worth more than a leasehold one? Plus, if you paid £50 for something, anything, you should darned well get it, I should think.

Perhaps it is not worth the hassle to you but, were I your buyer and under the impression I was buying a freehold property, I might just walk away on discovering I was not.

• ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 12th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    I would not know where to start finding out to be honest. The ground rent is only £2 per year and they haven't chased me since I paid the £50 around 11/12 years ago.

I really need to get into my new house as I am starting home dialysis and my current home does not have a suitable room so the less stress the better. The solicitor seemed to think of offering the 6year payment was the normal in these cases.

Thanks again
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Best of luck, ladymarmalade.

• G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 37,082 Posts
    • 41,039 Thanks
    G_M
    I have downloaded it and it doesn't say anywhere that I own the freehold. It still states the peppercorn rent.

It's not the end of the world, the solicitor has confirmed it will be 6 years at £2. I can live with that 😂

Thanks again
    So who does it say does own it? Probobly on page 1 'Register Extract' it will say: "Registered Owner(s)" followed by..... who?

If you go through your cheque stubs, or ask the bank, you should be able to determine if the £50 was paid/cashed.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 12th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    I am noted as registered owner and also title absolute.

It does mention at the bottom about the old rent charge from 1902.

It's confusing to myou muddled head at the moment.

I would not have cheque stubs from 12 years ago either so would be out of luck with that.

It is a terraced house but only myself and next door had the same ground rent people.

Xx
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 37,082 Posts
    • 41,039 Thanks
    G_M
    I have downloaded it and it doesn't say anywhere that I own the freehold.
    I am noted as registered owner and also title absolute.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 12th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    So does that mean I own the freehold??

Sorry GM it is confusing the hell out of me, I will admit I am blonde but my illness does mess with my brain so I have a bit of an excuse 😁
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    davidmcn
    If you currently have a solicitor dealing with things, leave it to them to clarify who has the freehold.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 37,082 Posts
    • 41,039 Thanks
    G_M
    Well, there's blond, and then there's blond!

What part of "Registered owner" is hard to understand? The "registered" part or the "owner" bit?

(Sorry but I'm genuinely puzzled!)

If the peppercorn rent remains payable, then I suggest you send yourself an invoice, and then send yourself the payment.

Having said that, who does the Title say the peppercorn is payble to? It may be a 3rd party - not the freeholder.......
    Last edited by G_M; 12-10-2016 at 7:37 PM.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 13th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    It does mention at the bottom about the old rent charge from 1902.
    So is it a freehold property subject to a rentcharge? You would still have to pay an annual sum but there is no lease - you own the frehold subject to paying this annual amount.

You can buy out the rentcharge but you should still have had paperwork to show you had done this and the reference to it should have been removed from the Land Registry title.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,181 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    OK - first thing is to say that your property will have two title numbers at the Land Registry - there is the Leasehold title - which you will be registed on for definite as you are the current owner of the lease. On that title document the description of the property in Section A will be shown as "The Leasehold Land..." and it will also show details of the current lease - this may or may not have your name on it - but if it doesn't, don't worry. In Section B it should have your name. The document you need is the Freehold Title document - and on that one the property details will show as "The Freehold Land..." and in section B it will tell you who is the current freeholder - or more likely freeholderS - as presumably your neighbour was also offered the chance to buy their share.

You do need to know, as there may be certain obligations, and if it transpires that you own the freehold for both properties, that may give you problems down the line.

Your current solicitor dealing with the sale should have copies of both these documents already - ask them to email them to you, you don't need to pay for them again!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

6,830Users online

Martin's Twitter