Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Diamond Orchid
    • By Diamond Orchid 12th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 195Posts
    • 299Thanks
    Diamond Orchid
    Help with EON bill after my mum died
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    Help with EON bill after my mum died 12th Oct 16 at 2:13 PM
    My mum died on 5th July this year and I notified EON by email as they hadn't received my letter.

They sent me a statement confirming they took payments out on 28th June, 28th July and 30th August, and say there was an unpaid DD on 31st August. Before 'this bill' they say there was £91.16 CR (credit).
    Under 'Your Payments and Adjustments' it says £146 CR (credit).

I wrote to them upset as they are asking me to pay £61.79. They wrote back and said:

"The Balance

The £146.00credit you have mentioned in your email is not the credit on the account, as the statement shows we have claimed 2 payments of £73.00 since the last statement in June and this is the £146.00CR.
    The balance on the last statement sent on the 15th June 2016 was £54.84 outstanding."

Surely they cannot claim payments after her death? Surely if she owed £54.84 on the 15th June, that would have meant her DD payment of £73 would have covered that. The further DD they took after her death of £73 would surely mean they need to refund me £91.16.

Is this correct? Also this is before they had both meter readings as I wasn't aware there were two on Economy 7 and my mother's house is 90 minutes away.

Thanks in advance and sorry this is long winded!
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    My mum died on 5th July this year and I notified EON by email as they hadn't received my letter.

They sent me a statement confirming they took payments out on 28th June, 28th July and 30th August, and say there was an unpaid DD on 31st August. Before 'this bill' they say there was £91.16 CR (credit).
    Under 'Your Payments and Adjustments' it says £146 CR (credit).

I wrote to them upset as they are asking me to pay £61.79. They wrote back and said:

"The Balance

The £146.00credit you have mentioned in your email is not the credit on the account, as the statement shows we have claimed 2 payments of £73.00 since the last statement in June and this is the £146.00CR.
    The balance on the last statement sent on the 15th June 2016 was £54.84 outstanding."

Surely they cannot claim payments after her death? Surely if she owed £54.84 on the 15th June, that would have meant her DD payment of £73 would have covered that. The further DD they took after her death of £73 would surely mean they need to refund me £91.16.

Is this correct? Also this is before they had both meter readings as I wasn't aware there were two on Economy 7 and my mother's house is 90 minutes away.

Thanks in advance and sorry this is long winded!
    Originally posted by Diamond Orchid
    When did you notify the bank of the death?
    • securityguy
    • By securityguy 12th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 3,282 Thanks
    securityguy
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    "The further DD they took after her death of £73 would surely mean they need to refund me £91.16."

Depends on how much electricity has been used since her death. Assuming this is a house she owned, the estate owes the utilities bills post her death, and it's the responsibility of the executors to pay it. It sounds like a "budget" plan (equal monthly payments, averaging out over the year's usage) and presumably the usage has dropped now the house is empty, but is unlikely to have dropped to zero.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    Good morning Diamond Orchid,

I'm really sorry to hear about your mum.

We have a specific team here that deal with the accounts where the named person has passed away.

These are the people that you need to speak to, they would advise you clearly what will happen to the account, who's name it needs to go in, etc.

This is the team that can help you with the billing and payments and where the payments need to come from.

It may be that someone is taking over responsibility of the property, or it may be that it's being handed back to letting agent/land lord/ sold. So these things can make a difference.

I can get you in contact with them, please email me the details of the account and I'll be more than happy to help you.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Diamond Orchid
    • By Diamond Orchid 13th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Diamond Orchid
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    Thank you.

EON, can you tell me why your bereavement team (who are dealing with this and this is whose reply I received) have instructed a company called Phillips and Cohen Ltd to 'get in touch with me' when I have not asked them to.

I will email them myselves to ask but I think this is poor practice too. If I need help dealing with the estate from an electricity supplier, I would surely ask.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    Thank you.

EON, can you tell me why your bereavement team (who are dealing with this and this is whose reply I received) have instructed a company called Phillips and Cohen Ltd to 'get in touch with me' when I have not asked them to.

I will email them myselves to ask but I think this is poor practice too. If I need help dealing with the estate from an electricity supplier, I would surely ask.
    Originally posted by Diamond Orchid
    No problems

That's our third party probate partners, but I'm sorry I don't know the specifics of how it works.

I'm pleased you're in contact with the correct department, but please come to me if you need my help. You can email me.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 26,263 Posts
    • 15,800 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    As far as I can tell

Phillips and Cohen Ltd

act as debt collectors for a few of the utilities.

I suspect they do a deal with the utilities to get the details of estates and go fishing for the probate work.

accounts seem to get passed on quite quickly when the bereavement teams should be dealing with the cases.

IME there are 2 things people need to do very quickly with the utilities.

Notify ASAP about DOD with readings and get the account closed and final statements issued.
    Notify the bank any DD are coming from and get them stopped.

Sorting out who picks up the new account(estate or occupier) from there can be done later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,307Posts Today

8,740Users online

Martin's Twitter