Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mummy2014
    • By mummy2014 12th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 3Thanks
    mummy2014
    Conveyancing Advice
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    Conveyancing Advice 12th Oct 16 at 2:02 PM
    Hi

We are just in the middle of buying our first home, we are using Hunters Conveyancing.
    So far I have had to email them three times and spoken to them to tell them that the purchase price is wrong. Beginning to think that maybe i should use a different company.

Advice please.

Many thanks

Kirsty
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 37,065 Posts
    • 40,999 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    Changing solicitors mid-way is expensive, and causes delay. It's a last resort.

I'd ask why you selected them, but that's water under the bridge now.....

Do you mean you've emailed 3 times about the same problem? What response? Is the error on your solicitor's summary/documentation, or on the contract received from the seller?
    • mummy2014
    • By mummy2014 12th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mummy2014
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    We chose them as it was part of the Estate Agents.
    When we made the first offer on the house we were sent through a quote for Conveyancing, that quote was rejected. The second offer was accepted and they sent through another quote, I spoke emailed them to say it was the wrong purchase price, they called the next day and i told them again that it was wrong she said that would be changed. Yesterday i received an email with the new quote and the purchase price was wrong again. They keep putting the asking price down not the purchase price. So I emailed again and I am still waiting.

At first I thought that the Estate Agent had given the wrong figure but they haven't.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 12th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    If you are still messing around with getting quotes from the solicitor what have they actually done?

Email them and ask for their complaints procedure and threaten to change solicitors unless they reply immediately.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 12th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    If you have no contract with them, ditch them and use someone else. They have amply demonstrated what they will be like to deal with. They won't get any more competent or responsive when they have you locked onto a contract!
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 12th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    I suppose they are just issuing the quote for their fees at this stage and if the actual purchase price isn't right on there it doesn't matter too much at this stage. They are just trying to win you as a customer ... Though all they've done so far is demonstrate how uncommunicative they are!

Find a recommendation from someone you know who has moved in the past few years.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    ... And, for future reference, don't use the EA's conveyancers/mortgage brokers/mortgage providers. Find your own after shopping around.

Would you just put up with a new pair of shoes that fell to bits the first time you wore them? No? Then I suggest you get another conveyancer. If you have signed a contract, I would posit it is null and void since a material fact is incorrect and you have pointed this out, in writing, more than once also, until you have exchanged, there is nothing to stop you from walking away and the EA knows that.

You could try telling them their conveyancing service sucks and you will not proceed unless you are free to choose your own conveyancer without financial penalty. You might even be doing the EA a service as they may not wish to be associated with a firm who loses them customers. It has happened.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 37,065 Posts
    • 40,999 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    You are still getting quotes? So you have not yet appointed them?

Get rid.

Send a simple email saying you do not wish to use their services.

Using the estate agent recommended conveyancer is often a bad idea anyway (you'll be aying for the commission the conveyancer pays the estate agent for the introduction).

Find your own, reliable, local solicitor. You are not yet commited so make the change now before you start running up costs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

633Posts Today

3,714Users online

Martin's Twitter